In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question on form 4473

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭✭
why do they ask what type of firearm, long gun, hand gun or both.

if they arent keeping track of it somehow why does it matter, i mean someone who is prohibited ffrom buying a gun cant by either, right.

Comments

• Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Not necessarily so. You can buy long guns outside of the state you live (non-resident)in some states for hunting and sport. But you must be a resident to buy a hand gun.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My understanding is that effective 15 Nov 08 stripped receivers, such as AR 15, will be be shown on 4473 as "other" and that sales will be restricted to 21 years of age or older - and that as a result of being listed as other those AR receivers may be built into AR handguns - hence the over 21 restriction. At least this is what I get from a local FFL. Anyone have more specific or certain info?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    More BS! I don't know why I keep my FFL????[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, i am a real dealer, store and all not a person with an ffl.

you didnt answer the question, why do they need to know long gun or hand gun.

the nics check is meant to prevent those who have felonies and such from owning guns, a felon cant own either so why do they ask "what type of firearm" ?

also why do they need height, weight, etc

to positively identify all that is needed is name, and ss number. if not comfortible with giving ss# then name and address mshould do/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I am in the process of re-establishing my business. I have been a REAL[}:)] dealer twice since I got my FFL. I just could not see giving it up because I intend to re-establish my business and be a REAL[}:)] dealer.
    I did answer your question about why they want you to state the weapon type. As for the rest, you can ask the BATFE.[;)]
  • Options
    majorKAPmajorKAP Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because:

If the buyer is attempting to purchase a long gun, and he is over the age of 18 and meets all other criteria, the transfer will likely be approved. Shotguns and rifles are okay for the teens.

If the buyer is between the ages of 18 and 21 and his intent is to purchase a handgun, the transfer will NOT be approved.

As far as the ID thing goes...a name and SS# alone does not begin to determine the actual identity of a person. Names and numbers are ripped off every day and all day long. That is why the dealer has the responsibility to check a govt. photo ID and compare it to the person that stands before them on the other side of the counter. It's a way, albeit not completely effective, to further determine the validity of a person's legitamcy.

There, now you have the info that you sought. Amazing that I would know such a thing...me a FFL holder without a store-front or anything. Equally amazing that a dude with a real store didn't know.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the SSN required? IIRC, isn't there a caption on the 4473 that says "SSN not required but makes accurate processing easier" or something like that?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SSN is NOT required.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    SSN is NOT required.

+1, and I never give mine.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    first i wasnt acting all high and mighty to guys with home ffls, i just wanted to state my position that i wasnt a guy that sent in for one of those doityourself ffl kits and no clue what to do once i got it.

second, i know the law, my question was why do THEY need to know hand gun/long gun. that is up to us to stop the transfer if they are too young, not them. oh they would probaly notice and tell us it is denied, but it is a nics check. national instant criminal search, it isnt national instant check all the laws for the transfer for the dealer search. they dont go down the list and ask if for instance, how did they answer to the questions in section 12 concerning domestic violence do they? i just dont think they should need to ask us that question, it should have been stopped before that point by the transferor.

third, i understand for privacy reasons not wanting to put down your ssn but if you think it helps "them" from knowing about you i think by putting down your name, address, dob, ht, wt, race, state of residence they probaly got a good idea who you are anyhow.
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have no business knowing peoples SSN's, as they were never intended to be used as a personal identification number even though that seems to be what it is being used for, although there is no legal basis for it being used as such and has become a kind of defacto National Identification Card, its supposed to only be used for SS matters, but our corrupt government is good at doing that sort of thing.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    All of the data on the 4473 is required so that the government may compile as detailed a record as possible of whomever is in possession of any sort of firearm.
  • Options
    WerwolfWerwolf Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    All of the data on the 4473 is required so that the government may compile as detailed a record as possible of whomever is in possession of any sort of firearm.

Yeah, that is what is to be concerned about, although they already more than likely know who we all are and it really wont make much difference once it happens.