In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pipe smoking Zumbo's

SturmgewehrSturmgewehr Member Posts: 4,420
US Supreme Court in 1939 US v Miller et al.

The court held that the firearms protected by the Second Amendment were those with "contemporary military utility".

What firearms today have "contemporary military utility"?

That would be firearms like the M16/M4 machinegun, the Beretta 92F semi-auto pistol, and the Mossberg 590A1 shotgun with heat shield, extended magazine and bayonet lug.

The purpose of the Second Amendment is to make sure citizens have the ability to resist tyranny. Our founding fathers saw that the citizens would have to be armed similarly to regular soldiers of the standing army and foreign armies. Indeed, this is why ordinary citizens are part of what is called the "unorganized militia".

This is why many see attacks on the Second Amendment, and particularly attacks upon military pattern firearms, to be a direct attack upon the free citizen militia concept and the promotion of tyranny. Banning firearms is more than simply banning an object. It is banning the idea of freedom and free men, and turning them into subjects of the government.

What is the militia? Let's turn to history:

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
- Tench Coxe, 1788.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
- George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on
Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

And that's the problem. People today have turned their backs on their heritage and their history. They are willing to surrender their freedoms for simple sound bites, Monday Night Football and X-Boxes. Rest assured there are many who do understand out heritage and history.

The issue today really should be - why are politicians trying so hard to ban guns? It's certainly not for criminal control. It's been proven gun bans do nothing to stop criminal activity. These same politicians are opposed to locking up criminals for lengthy periods of time. They find it preferable to make millions of law-abiding gun owners into criminals with the stroke of a pen rather than execute a murderer or send a drug lord away for life. Why is that? What is their goal? Have you ever wondered about that?

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    If people would read more history, the world would be a better place.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Excellent Post!!!
    Thanks you.

I was chatting with a guy who voted for Obama and I asked him how he could support the most anti gun candidate ever, and he said "Obama just wants to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and he has no intentions of taking them away from law abiding citizens."
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    Excellent Post!!!
    Thanks you.

I was chatting with a guy who voted for Obama and I asked him how he could support the most anti gun candidate ever, and he said "Obama just wants to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and he has no intentions of taking them away from law abiding citizens."

Did you tell him he was a #$%@in idiot ?

I apologize.
    I just realized I have read pretty much the same thoughts from forum members (including one mod.).
    I guess it's off to the re-education camps .
  • Options
    SturmgewehrSturmgewehr Member Posts: 4,420
    edited November -1
    Obama's 'Urban Policy' wherein he states unequivocally that he WILL reinstitute the AWB . www.tinyurl.com/5gznwl
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,352 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007

I apologize.
    I just realized I have read pretty much the same thoughts from forum members (including one mod.).

We have an anti gun mod???
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007

I apologize.

We have an anti gun mod???

We have one in Politics that keeps saying that Obama will not go for gun control .
    Did not say he was anti gun--just pro Obama .