In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I re-read arguments on the 2nd...

BottlecapBottlecap Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
So I'm a law/political junkie, and was thinking about gun ownership. I've never had a gun before, but feel if somethings legal, go for it. Last week I started reading the whole mountain of papers and after reading the original documents and as much as I could up to and including DC VS Heller. There's no doubt in my mind that gun ownership by a citizen is legal, and also the founding fathers wanted us to be armed.

Just my 2 cents.

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bottlecap:

Welcome to GunBroker Forums.

You are, of course, correct in that gun ownership by a citizen is legal. You will find this to be the case in every state of our Union. What I hope you find, and encourage you to research are the following:

1. Why is it legal? To what end did the framers include the 2nd Amendment?

2. What is legal? Is there an implicate meaning in the words 'to keep and bear arms' that limit what is covered?

3. Who is legal? Can we justify the exclusion of an ever-increasing number of our population from this right, or can we correct the justice system whereby all rights are eventually restored to all free men?

4. (and lastly) Should the word 'legal' be applicable when referring to firearms? Meaning should we ever put ourselves as a society in the position where we ever consider 'legal firearms'?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    BottlecapBottlecap Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Bottlecap:

Welcome to GunBroker Forums.

You are, of course, correct in that gun ownership by a citizen is legal. You will find this to be the case in every state of our Union. What I hope you find, and encourage you to research are the following:

1. Why is it legal? To what end did the framers include the 2nd Amendment?

2. What is legal? Is there an implicate meaning in the words 'to keep and bear arms' that limit what is covered?

3. Who is legal? Can we justify the exclusion of an ever-increasing number of our population from this right, or can we correct the justice system whereby all rights are eventually restored to all free men?

4. (and lastly) Should the word 'legal' be applicable when referring to firearms? Meaning should we ever put ourselves as a society in the position where we ever consider 'legal firearms'?

You have many good points to think about, I will research and would love a chance to discuss it further.

Bottlecap
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome, Bottlecap! Always good to see new members around here. I hope you reach the conclusion that ALMOST all of us in this area have reached a long time ago: There should be no restrictions on what peaceful citizens can own. I sincerely hope that you decide to stay here, and talk about rights/freedom issues here.
  • Options
    gundad308gundad308 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Militia Act of 1792. It was an effort of the founders to further underline 2nd Ammt. See what you think. Welcome.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum.
    I think you will find this place enlightening and stimulating to say the least.[;)]
    If you have the time go back to some of the more recent threads (6 months or so) and do some reading. There is a lot here to make you think about this subject.[:)]