In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

right to own a gun

brokenhawks417brokenhawks417 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
hello everybody, i have a friend at work that is a class c felon, drug posession. It has been 11 years since he finished his parole, he is trying to find out if he can get his gun rights back so he can deer hunt
any and all inputs welcome thanks

brokenhawks417

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    he would probably have to have his rights restored to do that--he might be able to bowhunt--and yes to the folks on here who will say it so i'll say it now--after he completed his parole his rights should have automatically been restored--but unfortuately they aren't so he will have to petition them. he also MIGHT be able to hunt with a muzzleloader as that technically is not considered a firearm by the BATF but he needs to check his state laws regarding it. He should see a lawyer and go from there.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    He has lost his gun privilige.

He will likely never get them back..unless he has the money to fight it for years.

In Amerika, there ARE no 'Gun Rights ' any more..even for those of us 'clean as a hounds tooth'.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very sad huh HB--the man completed parole--to me that means he paid his debt to society. You would think any and all rights would be restored because if he can't be trusted then why let him out of prison at all. Oh well who am I to say anything, I'm just a pi$$ant to the politicians.[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Indeed, Ruger...what is sadder is that there is many GUN owners that feel this guy should never own a gun again...

Just another number..trod into the ground by a nameless, faceless, impersonal Beast.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Generally the individual must petition the court where the conviction took place to have lost "rights" restored after absolute completion of a sentence.

State statute may vary on that, but that is my experience.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    very sad huh HB--the man completed parole--to me that means he paid his debt to society. You would think any and all rights would be restored because if he can't be trusted then why let him out of prison at all. Oh well who am I to say anything, I'm just a pi$$ant to the politicians.[xx(]

+1
  • Options
    GunnzyGunnzy Member Posts: 2
    edited November -1
    He may have completed his sentence, but he is still a convicted felon. Too bad. Sniffle, sniffle.

Can't do the time, don't do the crime.
  • Options
    edited November -1

quote: He may have completed his sentence, but he is still a convicted felon. Too bad. Sniffle, sniffle.

Spoken like a true Beast Lover.

Glad you lead off with those particular words...now whatever else you have to say can be filed in its proper place...the trash can.

Jim Rau; 45Long...here is your chance to jump right in and sooth this turkey down, with your kind words and smooth, civilized talk.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote: He may have completed his sentence, but he is still a convicted felon. Too bad. Sniffle, sniffle.

Glad you lead off with those particular words...now whatever else you have to say can be filed in its proper place...the trash can.

Jim Rau; 45Long...here is your chance to jump right in and sooth this turkey down, with your kind words and smooth, civilized talk.

Hb, Are you asking for my assistance???[:0][:0]

Is a 'beast lover' a person who does not have the same opinion as yours???[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau

Nah Jim, I believe it is simply someone who supports government control of firearms related to who/when/where/why/what/how they can be "allowed" to do it, or to have, in that genre, kinda a failure to adhere to the Constitution scenario.

You know, that whole pesky "keep and bear arms" thingy.[:)][:o)]
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gunnzy
    He may have completed his sentence, but he is still a convicted felon. Too bad. Sniffle, sniffle.

Gunnzy lets say your driving down the road drop your cell phone in your coffee, swerve off the side of the road hit a kid on a bicycle and severely injure him/her. Your charged with a felony and convicted.
    Bam no more 2A rights for you huh?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need assistance ? From you ? Hardly.
    Merely an invitation to jump in and help your friend out...from the onslaught of the brutal attacks I launch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

Nah Jim, I believe it is simply someone who supports government control of firearms related to who/when/where/why/what/how they can be "allowed" to do it, or to have, in that genre, kinda a failure to adhere to the Constitution scenario.

You know, that whole pesky "keep and bear arms" thingy.[:)][:o)]

Well I guess he is not addressing anyone here, as I don't know anyone here who SUPPORTS the restrictions placed on our RTKABA's!!![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need assistance ? From you ? Hardly.
    Merely an invitation to jump in and help your friend out...from the onslaught of the brutal attacks I launch.

And your 'brutal attacks' accomplish exactly what???[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is all about separating the wheat from the chaff.

Works WELL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is all about separating the wheat from the chaff.

Works WELL.

I guess you are not a country boy HB. Those of us who grew up in the country knows the wind is what separates the wheat from the chaff!![}:)]
    The winds of change are on the horizon![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hell...I AM the 'Wind'. !!!!!!

Hows THAT for megalomania ?????

Jim;
    This is no criticism...welll...not much of a one.
    I too am a pzpore speller. I put up a Word program along with this site ..and I write out my posts on Word. Using spell-check, I can appear to be a cracker-jack educated person.

I read your posts ..but now and again some word pops up that throws me for a loop trying to decide which way you are going.
    By copying and pasting, what I am trying to say is not hampered by spelling.

As usual ..you are free to disregard these instructions...they may well self-destruct in 5 seconds....[:0][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HB,
    You are correct. My mind goes faster than my fingers and I am dyslexic. I do use spell check, but that don't catch the grammar mistakes. This unit has NO word processing soft ware on it what so ever. It a bare bones computer they give us to correspond with .[xx(]
    Bottom line, I need to pay more attention to detail!!![;)]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...It a bare bones computer they give us to correspond with .[xx(]...

I'm almost afraid to ask, but I must, Jim.

Who are THEY?

Are they watching you now?

Hell, are they watching me???[:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No. As a matter of fact this computer is 'out side' the Alyeska Network. But they didn't do us any favors when they got this unit for us.[:0]
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gunnzy

Guess you missed the part where he "did the time", eh? Keep it simple for the simple. Oh wait! You stated it yourself in the first sentence. Hmmmm??? I guess you can contradict yourself, and that's ok with you.....[xx(]
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    beore the shtf here with our crap gun laws even if you went to prison for robbing a bank once you got out you could own guns again...unless you were on parole and one of the conditions was you could`nt have guns..but once the parole was over, you could own them again..no questions asked...and funnily enough...now we have tougher gun laws, we have a hell of a lot more armed crimes.[:0]..who would have believed it`s possible? [V][V]
  • Options
    chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indeed, Ruger...what is sadder is that there is many GUN owners that feel this guy should never own a gun again...

Just another number..trod into the ground by a nameless, faceless, impersonal Beast.

Of those gun owners you speak of HB I bet at least half of them have felony activity in their lives somewhere that they just managed to not get caught for.

Reasonable gun control types, you know.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chaoslodge

Of those gun owners you speak of HB I bet at least half of them have felony activity in their lives somewhere that they just managed to not get caught for.

Reasonable gun control types, you know.

You nailed it!

Although I bet the percentage is much higher, LIKE 85%, as to those who knowingly did it, and probably close to 100% for the rest who did it unknowingly.
  • Options
    gundad308gundad308 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    G. Gordon Liddy was talking about getting his gun rights back a few years ago, on a talk radio show . I seem to recall him saying he had to be out, with a clean record, for double the time he was in jail, before he could petition for 2A reinstatement. I don't recall him saying how parole fit into it. He had to hire a lawyer and jump some hoops, but he got it done. I guess you have to prove rehabilitation.
    People convicted of sex crimes get put on those registries, have let the govt tell them where they can live and work. They get hounded to the grave. So much for doin your time and starting over with a clean slate. I realize many are, and always will be, scum, but there are the exceptions(19yr old guy, busted doin his 16yr old girlfriend, now married to her for 15yrs w/3kids, can't get off sexpredlist).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh yeah, if you so much as touch your wife, with any aggression, or get any domestic violence misdemeanor conviction, just pack up the guns and send'em in. Thanks McCain/Lautenberg(?).
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sister was a 3 time loser,convicted on close to 20 counts ranging from drugs to importing illegal aliens,and she petitioned the court that sentenced her on her very first conviction and her rights were reinstated within 3 bussiness days.Cost was $112 dollars in filing fees.So your freind should give it a whirl,but don't head in with the gun rights use maybe the right to vote,when they give one back they give em all back.The only person that I know for sure denied in my state was guilty of armed robbery so the judge decided he didn't need a gun
  • Options
    lordmegatronlordmegatron Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yea our socity sucks [:(!]

but he won't beable to own a gun.. i lived in MN
    a guy was in the pawn shop a customer ased the guy
    can my friend owned a gun, the guy asked was he in jail
    the guy said yes.. and said no he can't own a gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lordmegatron
    yea our socity sucks [:(!]

but he won't beable to own a gun.. i lived in MN
    a guy was in the pawn shop a customer ased the guy
    can my friend owned a gun, the guy asked was he in jail
    the guy said yes.. and said no he can't own a gun

Now there's an authority on the subject.
  • Options
    jeepcjtjjeepcjtj Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    he can get all rights back except gun rights...to get those back he will have to receive a pardon...
    congress stopped all funding for atf investigations for restoration of gun rights and the only way to get guns rights back without a pardon is for the atf to investigate and signoff on the restoration...I know this first hand, as I screwed up over 20 years ago and can still not legally own a firearm
  • Options
    mark308mark308 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you do not have tobe a felon to loose gun rights. thank you prez clinton, 1994? atf is authorised to restore, but is not funded to do the work. I know this first hand, spoke to upper level agents. if nra and other groups are so pro-gun owners, help get back the RIGHTS of many that were illegally taken. as to the dont do the crime rime, bite me * mean anything?[:p]
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    He has lost his gun privilige.

He will likely never get them back..unless he has the money to fight it for years.

In Amerika, there ARE no 'Gun Rights ' any more..even for those of us 'clean as a hounds tooth'.

Sad but so true.