In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another 4473 Paper Trail Question

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I know of a deceased person, a friend's father, who had a pretty vast gun collection, about 300 (mostly handguns, a few rifles and shotguns). Some of the pieces went to his family, but the vast majority went to auction.

Now, how would the paper trail go...the Auction House was out of state, they came and took the guns to be auctioned, and the family took what they wanted w/o any transfers done (which was legal in the state this occoured in).

What would happen here?

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

There would be a lot of happy, gun owning, family members.
    Since he is deceased, the "paper trail" ends on those firearms.

The auction house would do a 4473, and background check, on the buyers of those firearms.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

The auction house would do a 4473, and background check, on the buyers of those firearms.

I guess what I am getting at is are the firearms inherited from the deceased man now considered paperless?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

I guess what I am getting at is are the firearms inherited from the deceased man now considered paperless?

Yes, but why the concern if YOU are not going to own them?

Every gun I had bought from a FFL can be considered "paperless". As long as nobody can find them, and I have claimed them "sold", there is NO paper trail.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

Yes, but why the concern if YOU are not going to own them?

Every gun I had bought from a FFL can be considered "paperless". As long as nobody can find them, and I have claimed them "sold", there is NO paper trail.

Oh, just curious, I guess[;)]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the exception of states that require a purchase permit, when an estate is sold by the auctioneer, the auctioneer is acting as an agent of the deceased (or the family)- so it is the same as a private sale by an unlicensed individual. If a firearm is CONSIGNED to an auctioneer to sell, he needs a FFL, 4473's etc- but selling at the estate, no, no ffl- he is the agent of the private seller. No paper. Just my personal (limited) experience- firearms at auction generally sell for more than they should. Watched a REALLY crappy SMLE go for $450 at one.