In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Positive use of "Gun Rights" stories

pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
This thread is for STORIES and/or LINKS ONLY.
If you provide a story, please provide the link to it.

Have you heard of any stories, where people have used their firearm in a positive manner? Defending themselves or others?

NO Personal opinions in THIS thread, they will be removed.
Start a new thread to "discuss" the story, if you want to.
(Which is encouraged)

How to post a link

To get a page address. (LINK)
On the page that you want to link to.
First, make sure your curser is not on a link. (just an arrow)
Click the "right" mouse button.
At the bottom of the box that pops up (or wherever it's at) click "Properties" with the "left" mouse button.
The page "Address" (URL) is shown in the next box that pops up.
It is usually easier to copy the address from the end of it, rather than the beginning.
Put your curser at the end of the address and click the "left" mouse button, hold it down.
Move your curser over the address, highlighting it, then release the mouse button.
Then put your curser "on" the highlighted portion, and click on the "right" mouse button.
Then select "copy"
Then come back here and put your curser in the regular box that you use to type a reply in.
Then click on the "right" mouse button again, and select "paste"
Use "PREVIEW" to make sure it works, then post it.

This also works to C&P (copy and paste) text.

If a URL (link) is too long, and stretches the page (you can tell if you preview your post) either Go here and they will shorten the link, which you can then use here....or

use this exactly as shown, no spaces.
I left a space before and after.... "thelinkgoeshere" .....so that you can see what it looks like, and the spaces keep it from working. Take out those two spaces.

What you want the link to read goes here.

Or just go ahead and post it, and I will change it to something like.....
"Click here for link"

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    The Heroine Of The Colorado Springs Church Shooting

Did anyone else get chills reading about the heroic actions of this woman, Jeanne Assam?
    A woman, fresh from a three day fast, in which she prayed to God for guidance in choosing a career path, was thrown right into the path of this mad-dog killer:

Amid deafening cracks of gunfire, smoke-spewing canisters and the flight of thousands of New Life Church members, Jeanne Assam said she suddenly saw the hallways clear and a gunman come through the door.

"I took cover. I identified myself. I engaged him. I took him down," the 42-year-old former law officer and volunteer church security guard said Monday at a news conference in the Colorado Springs police station.

For the rest of this story, Click here
    http://tinyurl.com/2cl3n6

Another article about it.

Jeanne Assam appeared before the news media for the first time Monday and said she "did not think for a minute to run away" when a gunman entered the New Life Church in Colorado Springs and started shooting.
    There was applause as Assam spoke to reporters and TV cameras saying, "God guided me and protected me."

New Life's Senior Pastor Brady Boyd called Assam "a real hero" because Murray "had enough ammunition on him to cause a lot of damage."

When asked by a reporter if she felt like a hero, Assam said, "I wasn't just going to wait for him to do further damage." "I give credit to God," she said.

Assam described how the gunman, Matthew Murray, entered the east entrance of the church firing his rifle.

For the rest of this story,
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/14817480/detail.html
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This one deserves to be here:

WorldNetDaily: Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold
    http://worldnetdaily.com:80/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59503
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    Posted this ages ago, here it is again:

Civilian Gun Self-Defense Blog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Workingzombie.

The following is transcribed from a 1972 Detroit news article on my Grandmother from my father's side, Anna Belle Samuelson.

Widow, 76, kills intruder
    By Douglas Glazier,
    The Detroit News. May 6, 1972, No. 258

A burglary suspect was shot to death last night by a 76-year-old widow who was expecting a stray cat to call for its usual handout on the near west side of Detroit Mrs. Anna Belle Samuelson said she was warned of the prowler by tow cats and a small dog she keeps as pets in her home on Lothrop, about a block form Grand River and West Grand Boulevard.

She said she grew suspicious when her dog, Giavanni, and her house cats, Dovey and Lovely, started acting up in her kitchen about ten minutes prior to the stray's customary arrival time, 8pm.

"Giavanni is such a little mutt, he doesn't really growl. But he's a good watchdog because he always whines and whimpers when a prowler's around, and that's about once a week in this neighborhood." Mrs. Samuelson explained today.

"Dovey and Lovey serve as watchcats, getting restless when strangers lurk about, and we've always been able to scare such people away by making noise and switching on our outside lights" she said.

"I knew something was behind the house last night, because Dovey climbed on the kitchen window sill and looked, although it was too early for the old tabby who's begged from us since he hurt his leg months back"

Mrs. Samuelson said when she looked out the kitchen window, see saw the figure of a tall man checking her back door, which all had but one bolt unlocked because she was expected to put out a food dish for the stray cat.

"We have so many prowlers and winos hereabouts that I didn't begin getting worried until after I switched the big outside light and shouted, and the man refused to run off like all the others." She said.

Mrs. Samuelson said she was joined in screaming by a middle-age woman companion who lives with
    her. But the man merely wrapped a jacket about his arms so he could smash the back door window.

It was then she decided to phone for police help, Mrs. Samuelson said, and take out a .38 caliber revolver she had for protection after her electrician husband, Gustav, died eight years ago.

When she returned to the back door, Mrs. Samuelson said she found her companion still screaming at the intruder, who had broken the glass, and was reaching for the locked bolt.

"I never fired the revolver before, and I have arthritis, so I had to use both hands to hold it out straight and steady" Mrs. Samuelson said.

"But I was so upset that I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger once. Nobody was more surprised that me that I hit anything."

Shot once in the face, the man was found slumped dead outside Mrs. Samuelson's back door by the time police arrived. He carried no identification, and was listed at the county morgue as Unknown Man 82 for 1972.

The suspect was described by police as a six-foot-tall, black male in his 20's, weighing about 175 pounds.

Homicide detectives after questioning her allowed Mrs. Samuelson to go back home by midnight. They determined that she had a legal permit for her handgun, and decided she fired in lawful defense of herself and her property.

Mrs. Samuelson has three grown children with homes but said she was determined to continue living where she has made her home for almost 30 years.

"Where in the world can you move that there aren't troubles to worry about anyway?" Mrs. Samuelson asked.

"Don't call me brave. I'm realistic, that's all. The trick is not to think you're living in a dream world. A person can't escape reality. You simply have to face it." She declared.

"Besides, I wouldn't want to move anywhere that I couldn't have my beloved pets."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tr fox,
    I think this is a good story for this thread, don't you?

The Link

Press 'ignore' terrorist stopped by armed student

'Yitzak Dadon's apparently well-placed bullets interrupted a rampage'

Posted: March 07, 2008
    9:33 pm Eastern

c 2008 WorldNetDaily

A gun rights organization in the United States is accusing the media of trying to conceal the fact that a gunman who attacked students at Jerusalem's Mercaz Harav seminary was stopped by an armed student at the school.

Authorities report that Ytizhak Dadon, 40, was a "private citizen who had a gun license and was able to shoot the gunman with his pistol," according to a statement released today by the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

In its earlier reporting on the tragedy, WND confirmed, "One terrorist reportedly was shot to death by a student who was armed."

However, the gun rights organization said "the American press is downplaying his heroism because it proves that armed students can stop campus gunmen."

"Yitzhak Dadon is a hero," said Alan Gottlieb, the chairman of CCRKBA, "and he is living proof that armed students have a place on college campuses. Thankfully, his quick action was reported by the international press . so unlike incidents here in the United States where the press was able to completely ignore the actions of armed students or teachers, the truth about this incident will not be suppressed."

He continued, "Mr. Dadon is not going to become a victim of this conspiracy of silence. Elitist American college administrators, the national press, nor anti-gun politicians can sweep this incident under their rug."

The gun rights group said international reports credit Dadon, who studies at the school, had his pistol available when the shooting erupted. "When the gunman emerged from a library, Dadon reportedly shot him twice in the head. The gunman was subsequently shot by the off-duty soldier," the group said.

"Yitzhak Dadon's apparently well-placed bullets interrupted a rampage," Gottlieb said. "What a pity that someone like Mr. Dadon was not in class last April at Virginia Tech. What a tragedy that anti-gun extremism would keep him from attending class at Northern Illinois University. He would never be allowed to teach at Columbine High School, hold a job at Trolley Square in Salt Lake City, or go shopping at Omaha's Westroads Mall.

"America's acquiescence to anti-gun hysteria has led to one tragedy after another," Gottlieb stated. "This disastrous policy has given us nothing but broken hearts and body counts, and it's got to end. The heroism of an armed Israeli seminary student halfway across the world sends a message that we needn't submit to murder in victim disarmament zones. That's why his actions are getting such short shrift from America's press. It's a story they are loathe to report because it affirms a philosophy of self-reliance that they despise."

The organization boasts more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, and is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States.

WND had reported just days earlier on plans in Arizona, where lawmakers are considering a way to stem the wave of unarmed students killed in campus slayings by allowing adults to carry firearms onto the grounds of state universities.

"The police got to both the Virginia Tech murder scene and the New Life Church [in Colorado] in about six minutes," noted Larry Pratt, the chief of Gun Owners of America. "At Virginia Tech, 30 people died. At New Life, two died in the parking lot and once the bad guy got inside the building he was engaged by (armed) security team volunteers and nobody else died. In fact, he was finished in about 30 seconds."

Pratt noted the circumstances of the two attacks. After killing two people at a Christian training center in Arvada, Colo., last December, 24-year-old Matthew Murray went to Colorado Springs intending more murder and mayhem.

Murray shot and killed two girls in the New Life Church's parking lot, then headed inside the building where thousands of worshippers were concluding a service.

A volunteer security guard, Jeanne Assam, confronted him almost immediately and fired at him. He fell, and an autopsy later said he had shot himself.

But at Virginia Tech, Cho Seung-Hui, 23, armed himself and went to a classroom building on a campus where guns were banned. He fatally shot a total of 32.

The latest attack on unarmed teachers and students happened on Valentine's Day, when Stephen Kazmierczak, 27, walked into a Northern Illinois University auditorium and shot and killed five people, and wounded 16 others.

The gunman then shot himself.

In Jerusalem, reports said one or possibly two gunmen infiltrated the Mercaz Harav Yeshiva, located near the entrance to Jerusalem, and fired hundreds of rounds of bullets at students. One terrorist, who may have been armed with an explosive device, made his way to the yeshiva's main study room, where about 80 students were reportedly gathered.

Israeli police said eight were killed and nearly a dozen were wounded, some seriously.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Click here for story
    If it is still there.

In case is isn't...

Man who subdued gunman in double homicide honored

By Andrew McGinn

Staff Writer

Sunday, April 06, 2008

SPRINGFIELD - In more than four years as a military police officer at the Springfield Air National Guard Base, Robert Bragg has never had to pull a gun on anybody.

But for pulling his personal 9mm on a pair of gunmen in Dayton last summer, he was awarded the Ohio Guard's highest honor.

Staff Sgt. Bragg, a 2001 Tecumseh High graduate, was given the Ohio Cross Sunday, April 6, by Gov. Ted Strickland.

"This is something special," Bragg said before the ceremony at the base.

But for Bragg, Sunday's ceremony - complete with a reception and photo op with the governor himself - was bittersweet.

"As far as the pain," he said, "it doesn't make it any easier."

Off duty at the time, Bragg was sitting on his Dayton porch last August when he heard shots fired, then saw two men in ski masks emerge from the Covault Market and Coin Laundry. Roger Covault, 70, and Robert T. Harris, 53, were shot and killed during the robbery.

Armed with courage and, as wing commander Col. Mike Roberts put it Sunday, "the hardware guaranteed by the Second Amendment," Bragg went into action.

Bragg personally forced one of the men to surrender.

"I never thought about my life being in danger until it was over," Bragg, 25, confessed.

Just the ninth recipient of the Ohio Cross, the medal honors members of the Guard and Reserves for gallantry.

A senior at Wright State University, Bragg still lives at the same place - which serves as a daily reminder of the incident.

"It's hard for me to even look down that end of the street," he explained. "It's still very real."

Contact this reporter at (937) 328-0352

or amcginn@coxohio.com.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=90433

No charges to be filed against man in deadly home invasion

Man details struggle for survival with intruder.
    9NEWS at 9 p.m. 04/22/08

DOUGLAS COUNTY - Bill Fresch says he heard voices and then the sounds got closer.

Living in remote Douglas County, Fresch knew something wasn't right. At 65 years old and five days removed from knee surgery, Fresch stood up next to his bed on Sunday morning, waited and listened as the voices got closer.

Someone was in his house; they came through the window and were not welcome.

The first words from the intruder that Fresch heard were, "Jesus Christ, I didn't know anyone was in here."

Joseph D. Boone, 42, had crept into Fresch's home.

Fresch says he is very familiar with guns and the law and did what he needed to do. He felt he had no choice but to grab his gun.

"I reached for the rifle, jacked in a round, which jammed," Fresch told 9NEWS on Tuesday.

Boone then shoved Fresch and landed on top of him and they fought for control of the rifle.

There weren't many words exchanged. Fresch says he did scream for Boone to "get out of my house."

Fresch also gave Boone an out. He said: "Just leave, I'll let you leave and I won't shoot you."

However, Boone said he was afraid Fresch would shoot him as he left and the intruder refused to let go of the gun they were both fighting over. Fresch tried to convince Boone to take the magazine out of the rifle and to walk away. Boone's response: "No, I want the rifle."

Fresch says he had another gun nearby, so he reached for it and shot Boone in the head.

He then went out onto his porch and opened fire on a car with two other people inside that he believes were connected with Boone. He blew out the car's rear window as they drove away.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office also says it is investigating a man and a woman from Colorado Springs they believe are involved in the incident. Neither has been formally booked or charged, but both are in custody.

Fresch was held in jail for two days on charges of second-degree murder. However, he was released because investigators believe he acted within Colorado's so-called Make My Day law.

A spokeswoman for the Douglas County District Attorney's office says the county hasn't had a Make My Day law case in the last six years.

Boone has an extensive criminal history dating back to 1984. It includes drug charges, resisting arrest and harassment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Customer Shoots Suspect in Liquor Store Robbery

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:05:34 AM by stravinskyrules

NASHVILLE, Tenn.- There was a deadly gunfight at a liquor store in Inglewood Saturday night. An armed robbery suspect was gunned down, after trying to rob the place. But it wasn't a police officer who took action.

None of the clerks in Sinkers Wine and Spirits had a gun to protect themselves, but they said they're thankful one of their customers did.

Sinkers Wine and Spirits lost some of their merchandise on Saturday night, but Clifford Baxter is hardly upset. He's just happy to have survived the gunfight that took place in his store over the weekend when two armed men tried to rob Sinkers late Saturday.

"I was in the back room, and came out and a man walked in with a pistol in his hand, and I went back to call 911," said Baxter.

Meanwhile, police said the suspects pointed a gun at store clerks and forced two customers to the ground. The would-be robbers probably didn't suspect that one of the customers would be carrying a gun nor that he would end up using it.

Baxter believes the customer and the suspects exchanged about ten gunshots. The would-be robbers tried to flee, but one of the men collapsed at the scene and died shortly after. Police said the citizen had a valid carry permit, and a right to protect himself.

"A citizen just like a police officer has the right to defend themselves or others, if they're in fear of death or serious * injury and that right extends to using deadly force," said Capt. David Imhof with Metro Police.

Even though the store was closed Sunday, Clifford Baxter had to come to work to clean up,

and while the workers at Sinkers are armed only with broken glass and a mop they're thankful one of their customer protected them with something more.

Metro police are still out looking for the other robbery suspect. They are also interviewing witnesses in the case to make sure the citizen's actions were justified. As for the workers at Sinkers who were unarmed at the time they said they have plans to protect themselves in the future.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2008715/posts
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/5864151.html

quote:A Harris County grand jury decided today that Joe Horn should not be charged with a crime for shooting two burglary suspects he confronted outside his neighbor's home in Pasadena last fall.

The decision to clear Horn of wrongdoing came two weeks after the grand jury began considering evidence in the case, including Horn's testimony last week.

Horn, a 62-year-old retiree, became the focus of an intense public debate after the Nov. 14 shootings. Many supporters praised him as a hero for using deadly force to protect property, while others dismissed him as a killer who should have heeded a 911 operator's instructions to stay in his house and wait for police.

Horn called authorities after hearing breaking glass and seeing two men climb through a window into his next-door neighbor's home in the 7400 block of Timberline.

The 911 operator urged Horn to remain inside, but he went outside with his 12-gauge shotgun and came face-to-face with Diego Ortiz, 30, and Hernando Riascos Torres, 38.

According to a transcript of Horn's 911 call, which he made about 2 p.m., the operator repeatedly urged Horn to stay in his house, but Horn said he did not believe it would be right to let the burglars get away.

"Well, here it goes, buddy," Horn can be heard telling the operator. "You hear the shotgun clicking and I'm going."

The operator replies: "Don't go outside."

Then the tape records Horn warning someone: "Move and you're dead!" Two quick shots can be heard, followed by a pause and then a third shot.

Pasadena police Capt. A.H. "Bud" Corbett said a few weeks after the shooting that a plainclothes detective had parked in front of Horn's house in response to the 911 call. He said the detective saw the men between Horn's house and his neighbor's before they crossed into Horn's front yard.

It appeared that neither Horn nor the men knew a police officer was present, Corbett said.

"It was over within seconds. The detective never had time to say anything before the shots were fired," Corbett said. "At first, the officer was assessing the situation. Then he was worried Horn might mistake him for the 'wheel man' (getaway driver). He ducked at one point."

When Horn confronted the suspects in his yard, he raised his shotgun to his shoulder, Corbett said. However the men ignored his order to freeze.

Corbett said one man ran toward Horn, but had angled away from him toward the street when he was shot in the back just before reaching the curb.

"The detective confirmed that this suspect was actually closer to Horn after he initiated his run than at the time when first confronted," said Corbett. "Horn said he felt in jeopardy."

Ortiz and Torres died a short distance from Horn's house, both shot in the back.

As the grand jury began hearing evidence in the case this month, Horn's attorney, Tom Lambright, said recently that Horn regrets his decision to confront the men.

"Was it a mistake from a legal standpoint? No. But a mistake in his life? Yes," Lambright said. "Because it's affected him terribly. And if he had it to do over again, he would stay inside.

"I don't think anybody can really appreciate the magnitude that something like this has on a person's personality."

Lambright said Horn didn't expect to be involved in a shooting, but rather expected to see the two men running or driving away.

"He thought he was gathering evidence for the police department," Lambright said.

The shooting brought hundreds of protesters to the Village Grove East subdivision where Horn lives with his daughter and her family. One protest included supporters of Houston activist Quanell X and motorcyclists countering his remarks. The protest which brought hundreds to the neighborhood led to the Pasadena City Council to approve a city ordinance banning protests in front of a residential home.

Aside from the shooting itself, the national debate revolved around the fact that Ortiz and Torres were illegal immigrants from Colombia. Torres had been sent to prison for dealing cocaine and was deported in 1999.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/story/593453.html

two armed home invaders shot and killed! hooray for the homeowner! they appear by name only to be border jumpers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-07182008-1565126.html

Intruder shot by homeowner in critical condition

LAKEWOOD, N.J. - Police say a man who allegedly broke into a Lakewood home and was shot in the head by the owner remains in critical condition.

The Ocean County Prosecutor's Office says 31-year-old Eric Tucker of Lakewood was shot by an elderly man who confronted him when he broke in through a kitchen window around 5 a.m. Friday.

Police have not released the homeowner's name, but say the gun used in the shooting was registered to him and that he called 911 to report the incident.

Two other men have been arrested and charged with burglary in connection with the break-in.
  • Options
    thebigsdthebigsd Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The owners of a Butler County, Mo., grocery store were surprised by an unusual break-in this week. Jeff Darnell, one of the owners, recounted the scene caught on the security camera: "They stole a truck next door, came in here and ran it through the door. They hit it about three times, first time got it in midway. Then they got the truck completely through the building. They came to steal the ATM." Meanwhile, neighbor and long-time customer Robert Chavez heard an extremely loud bang from the direction of the store. "I got my gun out of my gun cabinet and told my wife to call 911. I walked outside, and fired a shot in the air just to ruffle their feathers," he said. The thieves were scared off and left the store without the ATM. Chavez tells how the thieves aimed their truck right at him as they were leaving, scaring Chavez. "He pulled out and faced me, the truck did. I felt at that point, I'm in imminent danger, and it scared me. I fired a slug through the windshield of his truck, and put one in the grill and passenger side door," Chavez said. Police found the abandoned truck, but are still searching for the thieves. (www.kfvs12.com), MO. 7/24/08
  • Options
    WildWest223WildWest223 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5956018.html

NW Harris County store owner fatally shoots robber

Confronted with a pistol and bound with duct tape, the owner of a northwest Harris County store decided not to quietly submit and hope his attacker would show mercy.

The businessman worked himself free, got his own gun and killed the robber in a shootout, sheriff's deputies said.

The incident happened about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday when a man walked into the cellular phone store in the 12000 block of Veterans Memorial Drive near Antoine, pulled out a gun and tied up the owner, sheriff's detectives said.

"He (the robber) was in the process of trying to disable the surveillance equipment when the owner was able to free himself,'' said Sgt. Ben Beall.

The owner grabbed his own pistol and opened fire. The robber did the same, but was fatally wounded.

"The owner is fine. He was not injured,'' Beall said.

A woman at the store today said the owner did not want to comment on the incident.

Investigators are trying to determine whether the dead man is the same person who held up a number of other cell phone stores in the area recently, Beall said.

mike.glenn@chron.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Concealed carry permit comes in handy for woman in Fort Smith

FORT SMITH - She's a woman who knows how to protect herself as two men who tried to rob her found out. What they didn't know was the woman is licensed to carry a concealed weapon...and yes, she was packing heat.

"A lady was flagged over Sunday evening about 6 p.m. on the interstate between Kelley Highway and the Arkansas river bridge." Lt. Steve Coppinger with State Police says that two men in a car signaled that the woman was getting a flat tire.

"When she pulled over to check her tires one of those person in that other car got out and attempted to rob her at knife point."

But what the thief didn't expect happened next. Coppinger says the female driver pulled out her handgun.

"She pointed that at her attacker and he backed away, got in the car and they fled."

Investigators say the would-have-been victim was able to turn the tables because she had a concealed carry permit. State police are keeping some details of the investigation close to their vest so they will know when they get the right guys. Right now, officials are saying they believe this to be an isolated incident.

As for advice, Lt. Coppinger says to always pull over in a well-lighted public area. And if you are pulled over by someone you don't know, don't get out of the car. Use your cell phone to call 911 and ask for assistance.

Investigators for the Arkansas State Police are trying to track down the alleged suspects and what's been described as a black Toyota Camry with Oklahoma plates. If you have any information that could be helpful to their investigation, please call Troop H in Fort Smith.

http://www.kfsm.com/global/story.asp?s=9541680
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Man fatally shoots suspected robber in Terrell

A 19-year-old man was arrested today after police say he was involved in an attempted robbery on Wednesday night in Terrell that cost another suspected robber his life.
    100 block of Lions Club Lane

Ryan Scott Patterson, 19, of Terrell was charged with aggravated robbery, said Capt. Arley Sansom of the Terrell Police Department.

Terrell police were dispatched to Ben Gill Park in the 100 block of Lions Club Lane about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday after receiving a report of a possible robbery and shooting, Capt. Sansom said.

A man told police that after walking his dog at the park, four males attempted to rob him at gunpoint. The man, a licensed handgun carrier, pulled his weapon, shot one of them and shot at the black truck the men were using, Capt. Sansom said.

Officers found Markee Lamar Johnson, 17, of Terrell on the ground with serious head injuries. He was taken to a nearby hospital and later transferred to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, where he was pronounced dead.

A gun that police believe belonged to Mr. Johnson was recovered at the scene, Capt. Sansom said. Police said it was stolen during a previous burglary in Terrell.

The truck, which belongs to a family member of one of the suspects, was found in the 300 block of South Park Street, Capt. Sansom said.

The intended robbery victim, who was not injured, is not facing any charges and his name is not being released. The case will be referred to a grand jury, Capt. Sansom said. Police are still looking for two other men.

Link
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would-be Robber Killed During Robbery in Anniston

BIRMINGHAM, Ala (WBRC-TV MyFoxAL.com) -- A would-be robber was shot dead overnight and his alleged accomplice was wounded after they attempted to rob the owner of a gas station near Anniston.

Calhoun County Sheriff Larry Amerson said the gun-toting suspects and the owner got into a shootout around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

It happened at Fuller's Oil Company on U.S. 431.

Amerson said 21-year-old Takeem Pope of Anniston appeared to have died of a single gunshot wound. The other man, 19-year-old Blake Jackson, also of Anniston, was shot in the arm.

Amerson declined to name the owner, but said he acted in self-defense. He was not injured.

Authorities said charges are pending against Jackson. He was taken to UAB Hospital for treatment.

Link