In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question Concerning Indiana CCW

combat_commandercombat_commander Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I have just turned 18 and my Dad has already told me that his present to me will be my CCW. I have looked very diligently for Indiana laws concerning the right to carry and have really just found the basic information, age requirements, no felonies, and all the other good stuff, which I know I don't have to worry about. I am just confused on why do you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun, but can carry one legally with a permit at 18? Also, does being 18 and carrying a handgun put any fault or responsibility on your parents until your 21? My Dad seems to think that he'll be just as responsible for my actions as me if I need to use my gun. I will really appreciate any good answers and links to other websites.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by combat_commander

I have just turned 18 and my Dad has already told me that his present to me will be my CCW. I have looked very diligently for Indiana laws concerning the right to carry and have really just found the basic information, age requirements, no felonies, and all the other good stuff, which I know I don't have to worry about. I am just confused on why do you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun, but can carry one legally with a permit at 18? Also, does being 18 and carrying a handgun put any fault or responsibility on your parents until your 21? My Dad seems to think that he'll be just as responsible for my actions as me if I need to use my gun. I will really appreciate any good answers and links to other websites.

Laws never seem to make sense do they?

The deal IS, Dad can gift you a handgun, or let you borrow his. If he gifts it to you, I see nowhere, where he would be responsible for your actions. Though I am sure he feels a duty, for your actions. If he lets you borrow it, it would be no different if a "friend" had borrowed his gun. He may be hauled into court IF something were to go awry.
  • Options
    Hoosier71Hoosier71 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its getting better here in Indiana thanks to My Man Mitch! [;)]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hoosier71
    its getting better here in Indiana thanks to My Man Mitch! [;)]

I hope that was sarcasm....
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greetings and welcome, young commander. I am also a Hoosier and have had a CCw for years, as well as FFLs and other such truck with state & federal government.

Nobody here can give you binding legal advice, so I would FIRST recommend you continue to do what you have already been smart enough to do, and that is to do your own thorough research until ALL your questions have been satisfactorily answered; and to accept all the support you can get of responsible adults like your dad.

Secondly, Indiana state firearms regulations do not cover responsibility for damages so far as I have seen, and I suggest that is because you are considered to have independent responsibility for your decision to handle any firearm at your age. The ATF and federal gun regulations are a separate body entirely from the state carry licensing regulations. Your concerns about liability (which is maybe the more precise term), assuming your actions break no laws and police determine your use of force is "justified," are more likely to come afterward, in civil court.

Justified shooters do regularly wind up in civil court thanks to the criminals' relatives looking to rationalize the criminal's behavior and/or looking for an undeserved, shameful payday at your family's expense. Not a pleasant prospect for a surviving victim, but a little better (and far more just) than being wasted yourself.

The Federalis state, arbitrarily, that an 18 year old may purchase a long gun but must wait until 21 to purchase a handgun. Dealers, who are all federally licensed, are bound by this age restriction. On the other hand, Indiana's above-average firearms rules acknowledge that people "shall have a right to bear arms," and so Indiana law will not interfere with your application for license to carry at 18. Good for them. We in Indiana generally grow up with guns and unlike some other urban-heavy states we seldom see the superstitious fear of the firearm and of shooting that you often see elsewhere.

While you are absolutely right to be concerned about your responsibilities and your future behavior's direct effects, for good or for shame, upon your relations and family name, keep in mind that we gun owners DO NOT look forward with any pleasure to some fanciful "opportunity" to draw a carry weapon in an emergency and shoot at another human being. The luckiest of us will pursue our passion to learn and study, train for, practice with, share friendly range sessions with, collect, upgrade, and generally handle, maintain and enjoy our firearms.

We're not going to feel gypped if we pass on never having had to fire a shot to halt an attack against ourselves, loved ones, property, neighborhood, or treasured way of life.

I don't see any difficulties based on your limited information that will prevent your obtaining a license (and I highly recommend your getting Indiana's lifetime CCW license from the start).

Just concentrate on familiarization, practice, and getting all the bugs out of your carry systems. If you practice well and have good moral character, whether you have to defend or never have to, your training should improve your chances over the unarmed. Arms provide no guarantee of the outcome, only the simplest liberty in nature - one fighting chance, which the helpless cry out for too late.

If you decide after a period of time that the responsibility of carry is not for you for now, please know there is no dishonor among us in choosing other means of security for a while.