In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I AM GUILTY

HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
I am guilty of a blanket statement concerning the `greatest generation'.

I should have made it clear from the onset that I was NEVER casting any doubt on their sacrifices, bravery, hardships, or devotion to duty on foreign soils all over the world.

They accomplished great things, they beat back the forces of darkness all across the globe, nearly.

I should have made it clear from the onset that I was speaking about their failure to control the politicians here in this country...their failures to demand more from elected officials.
Their failure to INSIST that the `freedoms' they supposedly were fighting for were protected here on these shores.

That condition exists right to this day...with 120 millions lining up to vote for what is bad for America.

At some point, we MUST come to a realization about ourselves a people...and our failures. Only by doing so can we heal what is sick and perverted.

I will apologize for being terribly unclear about my flat statement...and at least on that aspect, was a horrible injustice to those brave men.

Matchshot posted, after my post...and of COURSE he is right. The past is dead...long live the past.
I needed this kick in the az ...and will once again re-direct my energy and thoughts towards the future.
Thanks, Matchshot.
quote:Higball, I appreciate your words and your honesty though it does take a little getting used to. Bitter? I understand your anger at those who should have seen but didn't. It doesn't do much good though, the past is gone, we need to look to and take care of the future and be ready as the Founders were

Comments

• Options
    rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are an honorable man, Highball.

However, your original comment does cause one to reflect on how some of that generation who started out so right in their thinking could have turned so wrong as time passed. The first one that comes to mind is Senator Robert Byrd. A war hero if I remember correctly but now so completely taken by the dark side in his political positions. And there are many more like him. One has to ask "What happened?"
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Rawhide ;
    Thank you.

Remember Bob Dole ?

I knew Bob Dole...in the days that I considered him an honorable man. He did me a favor. I went to the streets for him...campaigning for him across Kansas.

He voted for the Brady Bill.
  • Options
    chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball,

Your integrity in your response to your own statement highlights the great conundrum we face. Most of the people that have helped whittle away at the Constitution have never done so out of malice toward their country or fellow citizen. Most are decent people who have somehow gotten a wrong idea in their heads.

Somehow these people were led the wrong way, there has got to be a way to lead them back. While I, like you and many others here have a vision of a day when politicking gives way to more dire means, it is not the only vision on the horizon I have ahead of me.

I would much prefer one of those other visions so that the fight could be about something else and carried out with the civility and creativity that is the human greatness the founders sought to nurture with the establishment of the Republic. I confess I do not stand here with any answers though.[V]
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please explain exactly what YOU have accomplished in this area that they have not, other than much talk. You seem to think the situation is beyond help and your words are the only thing that will fix it. Talk is cheap.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    Please explain exactly what YOU have accomplished in this area that they have not, other than much talk. You seem to think the situation is beyond help and your words are the only thing that will fix it. Talk is cheap.

Are you saying that if one hasn't "accomplished" anything other than living a life, doing an honest job, being a good citizen, these people don't deserve to express their opinion on the current events?

Makes me wonder, why do these types always come back with the same lame argument to any critic - "what have you done to _____ (fill in the blank)" - as if they are solely responsible for anything done in a certain field.

Having to serve the country doesn't make one a saint, not even protects his or her further actions from criticism.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44

Are you saying that if one hasn't "accomplished" anything other than living a life, doing an honest job, being a good citizen, these people don't deserve to express their opinion on the current events?

Makes me wonder, why do these types always come back with the same lame argument to any critic - "what have you done to _____ (fill in the blank)" - as if they are solely responsible for anything done in a certain field.

Having to serve the country doesn't make one a saint, not even protects his or her further actions from criticism.

Well said, Max. Alot of the best I have known have never served, my father is one of them. He did devote 28 years of his life as a teacher. His name was Bill Zink and taught in Leavenworth, KS.

Lance