In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Getting FL and VA non-Res CCW Permits

JeroldJerold Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
I was just looking thru other sites regarding CCW permits and correct me if I'm not understanding....

From what I've read, it sounds like you just (in the case of a FL Non-Res) request an application from the FL dept of Licensing, fill it out and submit with the required documentation and then just wait for it to be processed. It sounds like the definition of "PROCESSING" here is like mailing away for your vehicle registration. It's just a matter of when your application gets to the top of the pile and how long it takes for the gov't employee to enter your info into the system , cash your check, make the permit card and mail it back to you.

Is there background and reference checks involved like the NJ FID application "Process"? I live in NJ and am a current FID holder.

This one site I read thru sounded like if you are willing to go and compile the requirements for the application packet and pay the fee, they will send you a permit.

Also, you are supposed to cut a check for $117 to the FL dept. of Licensing when you send in your packet. Do they send it back to you if someone doesn't pass any background checks (if they do them)?

Comments

• Options
    saltydogbksaltydogbk Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a set of forms to fill and and send. I will let you know the outcome.
  • Options
    JeroldJerold Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at a gun show in MD and there was a stand where you could fill out the FL and VA forms - get fingerprinted and notarized and photographed.

The VA is all NO's to the questions cause you only have to answer the back page if there are any yes answers on the front. All the typical questions like arrest records and mental health stuff.

Everything on the FL is NO except for 3 questions. The guy running the stand said that it must be answered in a specific sequence or else it either gets denied or sent back. The FL one is like an SAT test - fill in the dot in black ink. Kinda looks like it goes thru a grading machine looking for the correct sequence.

Anyway, it was easy enough and I paid $50 each for each state's application. The cost saved me from having to run around town getting fingerprinted/notarized/photographed, etc...

Whatever class certificates you have that meet the requirements, photcopy them and include them - ALL of them. Being from NJ, I added my NJ FID, driver's license, passport photo along with my NRA certificate. They said it all helps.

I would like to know what the stats are on denials for the permits.
    Unless you've been arrested and have been in a mental institution and pass the fingerprint check, I would think it's just a waiting game for your application to get to the top of the pile. I've already had a background check for my NJ FID that I got only last Sept2008, so hopefully that speeds thing along.