In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

False reports against me

par0thead151par0thead151 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
I work at a small family business, where 2 of the members are firearm enthusiasts, my self being one of them.
we are in the process of kicking out a useless, lazy, thieving, liability of a partner . he just so happens to be one of the 3 brothers of my grandfather who started the business(all 3 brothers work here along with my cousin and myself), so family drama is high in this event.
now back to my concern, he has threatened many times now to call the IRS on us, despite the fact that he is the one who does the books, and not to mention we get audited fairly often and have no "gray areas or shady dealings"
he also has mentioned more than once that he will call the ATF on myself and my uncle, accusing us of having illicit NFA items, just because he can and knows it will cause us grief despite the fact that neither of us own/posses anything illegal. again despite the fact that i spend a lot of time, effort, and money on remaining legal with everything i do. this is not a general blanket statement to sound like aq good guy on the net, i sleep much more soundly knowing i am 100% within the compliance of the ATF, state and federal govt's rules regarding firearms.
I plan on recording any further meetings we have here so as to catch him admitting to falsifying a federal report and/or wasting a federal agents time/lying to them.
what recourse do i have against someone falsifying claims such as this?
what can i do to avoid having the ATF kick my door in and shoot my dog:uhoh: :biggrin:
just kidding, but in all seriousness, I am concerned that i will have my collection dragged outside for all the neighbors(and thieves, yes they will see a lot of guns and make a mental note to case that house when i get them back) to see. Not to mention I prefer to not be cuffed like a criminal as my house is ransacked for no justifiable reason.
any info or advice, would be appreciated
thanks

Comments

• buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First thing I would do is move collection to a safe place, trusted friend, family member etc. This may be temporary but if feds do get involved it could take time, then slyly let it be known you have liquidated collection(thru legal process of course). Next invest couple of hours with trusted attorney to counsel you on the best process to remove problem from family business. Tread carefully if you think this person might actually try to make trouble with batf or like organization. They are more than happy to help fabricate any false case against most anyone they can. Visit this forum regularly as there are many people far more knowledgable and experienced than I. Also post in general discussion as well, as it get more traffic.

Good Luck
  • par0thead151par0thead151 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    im new to this forum and figured iw ould get more serious on topic answers than in the GD. if i do not get many replies, i will post in GD as well.
    thanks for the info.
    i dont like the idea of movingwhat i have, as i honestly have nothing even remotley illegal, or even in the "grey areas"
    i reload as well, are they known to confiscare bullets/primers that are not yet loaded when "investigating" a person of interest? i do not have much powder on hand for saftey reasons, so that is not much of a concern.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Call atf
    Tell them "I honestly have nothing even remotley illegal, or even in the "grey areas", but I do have someone threatening to falsify information just to be a troublemaker and waste my time and your time. What does falifying a report and wasting federal resources get somebody? He's standing right here."
    Hold the phone to him and tell him, "Go for it big mouth!"[:D]

Honestly, I can't answer your question for you. But this is an angle that I myself would consider.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    Call atf
    Tell them "I honestly have nothing even remotley illegal, or even in the "grey areas", but I do have someone threatening to falsify information just to be a troublemaker and waste my time and your time. What does falifying a report and wasting federal resources get somebody? He's standing right here."

Honestly, I can't answer your question for you. But this is an angle that I myself would consider.

thats exactly why i am tape recording it. once i have himon tape saying that, i will contact the ATF on my own time. he will feel like mr bigshot, but when he goes in to make the report, maybe the ATF will play nice and help me press charges against him for slander or whatever can be used to punish someone from falsifying such a report.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey jpwolf,

I missed a compliment from you the other day, so thanks for the encouragement.

Where up the road ? Weld, or maybe Logan county.

Parothead, once feds are at the door what is legal or illegal will not matter, look at the history of people who have gotten sideways with them, no positive results, and tough time getting stuff back even if found to have done nothing wrong. I think jp has good advice in being preemptive but i am leery of any contact with atf.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buffalobo
    Hey jpwolf,

I missed a compliment from you the other day, so thanks for the encouragement.

Where up the road ? Weld, or maybe Logan county.

Parothead, once feds are at the door what is legal or illegal will not matter, look at the history of people who have gotten sideways with them, no positive results, and tough time getting stuff back even if found to have done nothing wrong. I think jp has good advice in being preemptive but i am leery of any contact with atf.

As am I. If you are 100% he is bluffing, call his bluff with a bluff- phone with nobody on the other end? Just make sure you ask the "what are the penalties for falsifying..." question and then a lot of "ok, really?, felony? prison? up to 20 years? uh huh's" as your smile gets bigger before you offer him the phone with a really big smile. When he refuses, get back on the phone and tell "them", "well, I guess he had a change of heart."[:D]
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    Call atf

Forget the parts about yourself, just ask the what does a person get who falsifies...... After going through the yea's and uh-huh's and the other stuff I suggested, hand him the phone with the smile and say "they need your information. You want to talk to them?"[:D]

lobo, Sterling right now, but hopefully moving soon.
    edited November -1
    i like the bluff idea. i could see him doing something like falsifying a report/tip if we are successful in booting him out of the company. 20 years of easy street because my grandparents did not have the heart to do it. and it was my grandfather he was threatening with sicking the IRS on....
    i can hear it now.. "jerry jerry jerry jerry jerry.. HOOH HOOH HOOH!"
    the joys of a family business![xx(]
    edited November -1
    the other partners have been waiting him out for over a decade now...
    that is no longer an option.[xx(]
    im not a turn the cheek kind of guy, you mess with the bull, expect the horns.