In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A snapshot of Gun-Rights Opinions from My Agency

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Kind of a long story, but I feel like sharing..........

I worked late last night. Before I left, one of our lieutenants came to my office to ask some questions about a new bill being proposed in the state house, which the agency-head had sent to he and I for review and comment.

The bill related to 'Law Enforcement's' ability to access private financial records. The 'hue and cry' was on in full force from the LEO crowd, because the bill has multiple safeguards in it for the citizenry, making it more difficult for 'L.E.' to access these records. It was being circulated through the agency heads by a "LEO" lobbying organization, looking for support in opposing it.

Long story short, the lieutenant took the L.E. position and I had drafted one of my 'patented' long diatribes to the boss, on how the bill fit nicely into the concept of Amendment IV and how the restrictions were a good thing for individual liberty and a step in restricting predatory government.

This led into a walking-out-the-door discussion of constitutional issues and gun-control. We made it to the parking lot and saw a group of the guys there, so we stopped to talk to them.

It was me, the lieutenant, one sergeant, one corporal, one deputy and one detective.

The conversation on gun-issues continued with the lieutenant being on the "it is good for society" to restrict guns, reality supersedes the Constitution and all that type bullschit. The sergeant was obviously clueless and failed to take a position. Me, the detective, the corporal and the deputy were all rock solid on ZERO restrictions.

As expected the lieutenant said that if a law were passed to ban/confiscate firearms, we were bound to enforce it, since it would be duly and properly passed by the legislature. The clueless sergeant tended to agree. The remainder of us said that enforcement, or obedience to such, was simply not happening and the Constitution trumped any such legislation passed.

As we were beating the lieutenant about the head and shoulders with constitutional issues, one of the new executive staff walked out. I told him he should join the discussion, it was about gun issues. He jumped right in and flatly stated that Amendment II was the rule book and he takes the position that all citizens could and should be armed, even with full autos, if they desired...no restrictions.

1 anti
1 fence-sitter/clueless bonehead
5 no restrictions

A small cross-section of those of us in policing.

Stuff like this makes me see a glimmer of hope that some will stand up as things progress into the 'new america' and its ever more oppressive tactics.

Comments

• Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Oh....my...Lord !!!

Waking up and reading this...Captain, you, Sir, have made my day !!

please post this to general...or allow me to. I think the general population needs to see this..for a whole varity of reasons.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Oh....my...Lord !!!

Waking up and reading this...Captain, you, Sir, have made my day !!

please post this to general...or allow me to. I think the general population needs to see this..for a whole varity of reasons.
    Feel free. I am off to work and off-line until later.[;)]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,406 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Made my day Cap'n! There might just be some hope yet, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeff,.......nice post.
    Thanks!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    God bless ya Capt., and those other 4 who understand the Constitution. Now push the LT down and kick mud into his face.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    God bless ya Capt., and those other 4 who understand the Constitution. Now push the LT down and kick mud into his face.
    There sarge. I fixed it for you.[:D] Actually, he felt like he got kicked in the nuts after he got beat about the head and shoulders with constitutional and individual liberty arguments.

I suspect he'll keep his pie-hole shut about such, from now on. It was pretty brutal, brutal, but funny as hell. Red face, a few sputters, a couple of but..but..buts.. and a damn-it or so and she was all over but the tail draggin and the strategic withdrawal.[:)]
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    There sarge. I fixed it for you.[:D] Actually, he felt like he got kicked in the nuts after he got beat about the head and shoulders with constitutional and individual liberty arguments.

I suspect he'll keep his pie-hole shut about such, from now on. It was pretty brutal, brutal, but funny as hell. Red face, a few sputters, a couple of but..but..buts.. and a damn-it or so and she was all over but the tail draggin and the strategic withdrawal.[:)]

[:D]

Maybe the sargeant should of had his apathetic nuts stomped on too. I hope he learned something from watching the LT get the full bore.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I must admit I like your post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    I must admit I like your post.
    Thank you tr
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    In fact, after reading your account of that conversation, I apologize for having wrongly accused you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    In fact, after reading your account of that conversation, I apologize for having wrongly accused you.
    Accepted and again, thank you.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a LEO, Clinton enacted the AWB. The mayor of the town told me that it fall on my shoulders to confiscate if the need came. Told him I would refuse if that order came down.I believe there would be many beside me if it came to it!

GOOD JOB LT!!!
    Lance
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    That is good to hear. It's actually very surprising. Do you work for a small department or a large city department?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    That is good to hear. It's actually very surprising. Do you work for a small department or a large city department?
    Sheriff's Office with approximately 800 employees, sworn, detention and civilian.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Good to hear Jeff.
    BUT where does the TOP guy stand on this. That is problem I had. I had two (gutless) DC's who were very pro gun but would not speak out because it would be political suicide. And the Chief and the Capt. in charge of professional standards (for you non cop types that is Internal Affairs) who would give lip service to the pro gun groups but were anti-gun. When we had any 'unofficial' talks, like the one describe, I would have almost unanimous support for the RTKAB's, but if the Chief or IA were around, they (all but me) would not say a word, like puppies with their tail between their legs.
    The proof is in the putting. I hope you nor I have to stand up to the AH's when the Obama AH's pass the registration and confiscation laws, which are coming![V]
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1

I worked late last night. Before I left, one of our lieutenants came to my office to ask some questions about a new bill being proposed in the state house, which the agency-head had sent to he and I for review and comment.

The bill related to 'Law Enforcement's' ability to access private financial records. The 'hue and cry' was on in full force from the LEO crowd, because the bill has multiple safeguards in it for the citizenry, making it more difficult for 'L.E.' to access these records. It was being circulated through the agency heads by a "LEO" lobbying organization, looking for support in opposing it.

Long story short, the lieutenant took the L.E. position and I had drafted one of my 'patented' long diatribes to the boss, on how the bill fit nicely into the concept of Amendment IV and how the restrictions were a good thing for individual liberty and a step in restricting predatory government.

This led into a walking-out-the-door discussion of constitutional issues and gun-control. We made it to the parking lot and saw a group of the guys there, so we stopped to talk to them.

It was me, the lieutenant, one sergeant, one corporal, one deputy and one detective.

The conversation on gun-issues continued with the lieutenant being on the "it is good for society" to restrict guns, reality supersedes the Constitution and all that type bullschit. The sergeant was obviously clueless and failed to take a position. Me, the detective, the corporal and the deputy were all rock solid on ZERO restrictions.

As expected the lieutenant said that if a law were passed to ban/confiscate firearms, we were bound to enforce it, since it would be duly and properly passed by the legislature. The clueless sergeant tended to agree. The remainder of us said that enforcement, or obedience to such, was simply not happening and the Constitution trumped any such legislation passed.

As we were beating the lieutenant about the head and shoulders with constitutional issues, one of the new executive staff walked out. I told him he should join the discussion, it was about gun issues. He jumped right in and flatly stated that Amendment II was the rule book and he takes the position that all citizens could and should be armed, even with full autos, if they desired...no restrictions.

1 anti
    5 no restrictions

Stuff like this makes me see a glimmer of hope that some will stand up as things progress into the 'new america' and its ever more oppressive tactics.

I hope this attitude holds after it evolves from an off-hand parking lot discussion to when the chips are down, and the LEO's involved need to choose between upholding the Constitution and keeping their jobs.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's certainly encouraging.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jeff,
    Where does your boss stand on this issue??
    What is the 'official' policy of the department????
  • Options
    suthin_mansuthin_man Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Few years back my brother who was Special Forces for 22yrs told me about some secret test that they had to take.I believe it was when cigar where? Clinton was in power. He said that one question that really threw them was "If ordered by your commander to fire on American citizens would you follow that order?"hey were really freaked by such a question and answered NO!!After that his unit seemed to get some pretty rough assignments but WTH that's their job,Right!! Get ready boys,the enemy is elected and busy fixin the constitution to fit their beliefs about OUR FREEDOM![:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    PS, Give Liberals a chance!![:)] Oh!about 50 yards before you fire!!!
  • Options
    afartinthewindafartinthewind Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by suthin_man
    He said that one question that really threw them was "If ordered by your commander to fire on American citizens would you follow that order?"
    ----
    After that his unit seemed to get some pretty rough assignments...

I don't buy this, not calling you or your brother a liar, but I don't buy this. Not impossible, just think it's improbable, especially the second part.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what's nice about opinions everybody has one and we can disagree.I just hope that you still believe in our Government when they want to take your rights from you.Then when you stand up to say No!you won't be surprised when someone says,shoot him!My father was also SF and his stories about our leaders and the things that were done in the name of freedom and the USA would make your skin crawl.Can't see the forest for the trees!!
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

1 anti
    5 no restrictions

Stuff like this is cause to hope that you are right lt, especially toward helping folks get off the fence on the right side. Thanks.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Stuff like this is cause to hope that you are right lt, especially toward helping folks get off the fence on the right side. Thanks.Kimi, you are a good man, thanks.

Regardless of how things progress, as long as there are such good men out there, we all have hope for success in restoring the Republic.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Ignorance will trump nobility in a generation, it always has and always will.. You are a good man, IT, you have values, morals, empathy and a high IQ.. These are things purposefully stripped from people in my generation, as you can see with the new age Jack Booters.. If you know any honest social sceintists, you should set down and have an indepth conversation(if you dont already see it) about the fundimental changes in everything from the music kids listen to, to what they are taught in school and watch on TV.. I think you will be surprised.. There is a limited time window and it shrinks yearly once we pass a certian point..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    Jeff,
    Where does your boss stand on this issue??
    What is the 'official' policy of the department????

Do you have an answer, or would you rather not say????
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure what LT's chief says, but mine has already said that he will NOT be sending officers on suicide missions to steal items from otherwise law abiding citizens. The only officer we have is a die hard democrap no matter what, and a lot of us believe he is still in the closet anyway.

Ask the ones who think we should take them....do they think they can go in and take weapons from armed people with resolve not to give them up?
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jeffb1911
    Not sure what LT's chief says, but mine has already said that he will NOT be sending officers on suicide missions to steal items from otherwise law abiding citizens. The only officer we have is a die hard democrap no matter what, and a lot of us believe he is still in the closet anyway.

Ask the ones who think we should take them....do they think they can go in and take weapons from armed people with resolve not to give them up?
    when they come to take them they will be backed by a group in black that will surpass the number of brownshirts of history
  • Options
    therockguytherockguy Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cant have my guns, ever. not even for sale (well maybe my colt woodsman pistol)ive got a 300winmag to buy.