In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Many Questions.......

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
If the preverbal "CRAP" does ever hit the fan:

Do you have a plan of action ?
Do you know where to go ?
Do you have a safe place ?
Do you have hidden supplies ?
Do you have groups/friends ?
How long can you survive ?
What would you do if it happened tomorrow morning when you woke up ?
What if you were the only one on your street it was happening to ?
What if your phones did not work ?
What if you were surrounded ?
Can you defend yourself and family immediately ?
Will you be all alone ?
Will you take your family ?
Do you have an emergency bag ready to go ?

Don't answer them here, just add a few more questions that I missed.
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Are you prepared mentally ?
    Far more important then 'stuff'.

Are you prepared to jettison EVERY plan you have made...turn on a dime, so to speak...so as to meet emergencies you can not possibly foresee ?
    Are you prepared to turn your back on ALL family and friends that do not share your desire for freedom ?
  • Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you physically fit?

Do you have the Outdoor "SURVIVAL SKILLS" to live without external support if required to hit the woods?
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a cell phone that is not registered in your name,(i.e., the cheap throwaway ones with pre-paid minutes), making you as trackable, as if you had a GPS transmitter in your rear?
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought we were all meeting in Colorado? Isn't that the plan? Did you guys change it again? Damn.
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    FWIW, if and when the time does come, don't be too surprised if it isn't an "every man for himself" affair and you (as in the larger and royal "you") are fighting ferociously for your very life. I suspect that anyone who gets "the drop" on another will seize whatever he or she can to survive, whatever way he or she can.

I'll apologize now if that statement offends anyone, especially those who assume that some grand comradery and higher sense of loyalty to one's fellow man will actually prevail.

And that's my 10 cents.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf
    I thought we were all meeting in Colorado? Isn't that the plan? Did you guys change it again? Damn.
    No one has changed it as far as I know.

I still think the "Cave of the Winds" by Colo Springs, would be better than DIA though. Maybe you can get Comengetit to comment on this? [}:)]
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    how interesting, i'm moving to CoS in about 4 weeks :)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thesneakyrussian

Oh ya? Got guns? Want to shoot them?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

got some and getting more just as soon as i can get out of CA.
    and yes, shooting guns -- absolutely, just as soon as i get over there and unpack :)
    edited November -1
    I actually think that SlowHand has brought up a very sad but valid point.
    I actually invision more of a "warlord" type scenario, such as in Afghanistan,.........where you have hundreds or even thousands of small groups of individuals, united behind a "particular" so called leader, that has the power of communication, and attracts the ones that are "followers". Unfortunately that scenario would only result in a never ending civil war, with each group fighting for more power,.............we actually end up fighting each other. Hope that I am wrong.
  • Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc1301:

I'm not much for TV, but one show I watch is "JERICHO". I believe it comes on tonight. Take a Look. If you don't know what is going on you can view the whole season on ABC.com.
    edited November -1

got some and getting more just as soon as i can get out of CA.
    and yes, shooting guns -- absolutely, just as soon as i get over there and unpack :)
    Let me know when you get there. (email) A group I know of puts on a shoot at least once a month. North shoot one month, south shoot the next, etc.
    edited November -1
    Let me know when you get there. (email) A group I know of puts on a shoot at least once a month. North shoot one month, south shoot the next, etc.

cool. i will. thank you.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are the first killed in the SHTF; Do I get your women?
  • Larry29Larry29 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    that leasd me to another point, what if the only female survivors are Hillary, Rosie and Waco Reno?? Thanks goodness for that extra round....:)
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Given the absence of an overbearing central government...yes. There will be 'warlords'...Hells Angels types...taking over sectors of this country.

I expect them to live only long enough for the decent people of this country to get their feet on the ground..a week, a month, perhaps a year.
    I believe that the reason we the people are continually victimized by animals is that they are protected by the government...the typical reaction when people find a dangeous nest of snakes close to home is to WIPE THEM OUT...

Exactly the same reaction will take place as happened with the big bears and wolves of this country..

Small communities, run in a Constitutional manner, will band together and eliminate the threats in ever widening circles...

Why "Constitutional" ?? Because it is the system that gave the greatest amount of freedom to the greatest numbe of people over the longest period of time ever in history...and intelligent people that also happen top be warriours WILL make it happen .
    There will have to be tweaks made to the system...

For example...public officials caught committing crimes that would earn a citizen 10 years in jail...would earn a public official 20 years...DOUBLE the time of a citizen.

A judge, prosecuter, or police officer caught concealing evidence or railroading a suspect would instantly take the place of the accused and incarcerated...
    And we would find out by trotting the 'found guilty' party into an interrogation chamber...complete with the apparatus that charts the lower reaches of the brain that cannot tell a lie...
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the preverbal "CRAP" does ever hit the fan:

Would other countries invade or try to invade and overthrow the US military and Government ?

Would we experience a "Civil War" of sorts between our own people, blacks, whites, indians, mexicans ?

Can you live without your cigarettes, television and internet ?
    Abort Cuomo
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Larry29
    that leasd me to another point, what if the only female survivors are Hillary, Rosie and Waco Reno?? Thanks goodness for that extra round....:)

Now that is funny![:D]
    edited November -1
    Will you have another place to live when a family of Mexicans take over your residence ?
    Abort Cuomo
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Comms? Low power Ham Radio! 100 mw max. Headphone for same.
    Shortwave/AM/FM radio?
    Solar panel batt rechargers?
    Rechargeable batteries/connectors?
    Reloading Equipment/supplies will be good barter set-up.
    Gun Cleaning Equipment?
    Grab & Go bags @ planned AND secondary exits?
    Modest sized inverter 4 110v 4 found/liberated devices?
    Gloves?
    Climbing rope/ascenders/descenders?
    Waterproof cannon fuze?
    Minor Surgery/Medical bag?
    Water purification tabs? Filters? Distiller?
    Voltmeter/Soldering Iron?
    Hand tools?
    $2-10K cash on hand - ATMs will be P.O.S.
  • actionherotraineeactionherotrainee Member Posts: 49
    edited November -1
    Your original question mentioned supplies, a place to go, an emergency bag ready to go, etc, without going into specifics of what supplies are needed and where they would be kept... I'm sure a lot of people could make a lot of beneficial suggestions in that area.. but aside from that, I'm thinking..

- alternative plans depending on which direction the s*it that's hitting the fan comes from.
    - along the same lines as above, different plans for different seasons (might need the snowmobile for a quick bugout in the winter, and a boat to get to your hide in the summer?)
    - things with which to barter when money loses its value. Two things people will always be ready to sell their souls for in a crisis, alcohol and tobacco products.
    - Documents or copies of documents that might be needed.. the scenarios are endless, but a few things might be bank records, proof of citizenship, birth certificates, deed to property, car title, medical records, military records (DD-214).
    - basic reference books, and other reading material (for entertainment purposes, in case you can't take your television with you)as well as playing cards, and maybe some board games.. yes, I know this is getting in the list of supplies needed, so maybe I should just say stuff to have fun with.
    - someone already mentioned being "mentally" prepared... this should also include being spiritually prepared.
    - Does everyone in the family know the plan, and variations of the plan?
    - Have you practiced your plan? Let's say you have a big box full of food and a few containers of water you plan to load into your vehicle and go... have you actually tried loading the stuff into your car or truck? I found the big plastic container I had loaded with canned goods was a tad heavy, and would best be broken down into two separate ones.
    - vehicle kept in good condition, full of gas.. spare hoses and belts and jumper cables... spare tire in good condition.
    - Immunizations up to date? They'll be even more important when basic services (such as clean water piped into the house and refrigerated perishables) are no longer available... you can skip this requirement if you're concerned the little radio transmitters the government puts into the vaccines are what's enabling the silent black helicopters to follow you around.
    - Perhaps most important.. secrecy (opsec to you military guys).. does your entire neighborhood know you're a kooky fanatical right-wing survivalist gun nut who.. when the s*it does hit the fan, suddenly realizes you're a bit better prepared than they are, know you have something they don't, and they're going to try to come take it from you?

Just a few things off the top of my head.. hopefully people will continue to add to the list.
  • actionherotraineeactionherotrainee Member Posts: 49
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WoundedWolf

Colorado? Are you kidding?? I've seen the way people drive there. I'm not fighting my way all the way from Texas, braving desert heat, mountains, rattlesnakes, dehydration, roaving gangs of zombies, vampires, and werewolves, etc, only to meet my end in a traffic accident in Colorado!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by actionherotrainee
    Your original question mentioned supplies, a place to go, an emergency bag ready to go, etc, without going into specifics of what supplies are needed and where they would be kept... I'm sure a lot of people could make a lot of beneficial suggestions in that area.. but aside from that, I'm thinking..

- alternative plans depending on which direction the s*it that's hitting the fan comes from.
    - along the same lines as above, different plans for different seasons (might need the snowmobile for a quick bugout in the winter, and a boat to get to your hide in the summer?)
    - things with which to barter when money loses its value. Two things people will always be ready to sell their souls for in a crisis, alcohol and tobacco products.
    - Documents or copies of documents that might be needed.. the scenarios are endless, but a few things might be bank records, proof of citizenship, birth certificates, deed to property, car title, medical records, military records (DD-214).
    - basic reference books, and other reading material (for entertainment purposes, in case you can't take your television with you)as well as playing cards, and maybe some board games.. yes, I know this is getting in the list of supplies needed, so maybe I should just say stuff to have fun with.
    - someone already mentioned being "mentally" prepared... this should also include being spiritually prepared.
    - Does everyone in the family know the plan, and variations of the plan?
    - Have you practiced your plan? Let's say you have a big box full of food and a few containers of water you plan to load into your vehicle and go... have you actually tried loading the stuff into your car or truck? I found the big plastic container I had loaded with canned goods was a tad heavy, and would best be broken down into two separate ones.
    - vehicle kept in good condition, full of gas.. spare hoses and belts and jumper cables... spare tire in good condition.
    - Immunizations up to date? They'll be even more important when basic services (such as clean water piped into the house and refrigerated perishables) are no longer available... you can skip this requirement if you're concerned the little radio transmitters the government puts into the vaccines are what's enabling the silent black helicopters to follow you around.
    - Perhaps most important.. secrecy (opsec to you military guys).. does your entire neighborhood know you're a kooky fanatical right-wing survivalist gun nut who.. when the s*it does hit the fan, suddenly realizes you're a bit better prepared than they are, know you have something they don't, and they're going to try to come take it from you?

Just a few things off the top of my head.. hopefully people will continue to add to the list.

Can you elaborate on this a little ???????????

Also if my neighbors come to steal my supplies.....they will be found on my lawn in the morning. They will be offered to join and help if they ask.
    Abort Cuomo
  • WoundedWolfWoundedWolf Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all you recent folks, the survival thing was actually handled in a semi-serious way right after Katrina. Here are a couple of threads you might find of interest:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=168260

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=168367

For your reference, here is the latest and greatest "Master List" that I compiled from GB member suggestions here on the forum:

Guns:
    -A sidearm
    -A high-powered rifle
    -A .22 for small game
    -A 12-gauge shotgun
    -Slings and holsters for all guns
    -Gun cleaning supplies
    -Night sights
    Ammo:
    -At least 1000 rounds of each caliber you use
    -Subsonic .22 for "quiet" hunting
    -Reloading supplies
    -Lead casting equipment
    Water:
    -Portable water purifier + filters
    -Canteen/bottle
    -Several cases of water (64oz. minimum, per person, per day)
    -Several 10-gallon water jugs
    -Water purification tablets (avoid iodine tablets if you have thyroid issues)
    Food:
    -Non-perishable foods
    -Avoid foods requiring hydration, they use too much water
    -Salt for preserving food
    -Canned chili beans with beef
    -Twinkies
    -SPAM
    -Tootsie Rolls
    -Canned soups
    -Noodles that only require water
    -Canned tuna
    -Canned chicken
    -Assorted canned veggies
    -Vacuum-sealed bread
    -Vacuum-sealed assorted meats
    -Enough food for 2 people for over a month
    -Beef Jerky
    -Protein bars
    -MREs (Meals Ready to Eat)
    -Gum
    -Tic-Tacs/Mints
    -Raisins/Dried Fruit
    -Trail mix
    -Seeds for planting crops
    -Broth powder/cubes
    Clothing:
    -Versatile clothing
    -Ponchos
    -Socks
    -Goretex clothing shells- jacket, pants, hood/hat & boots
    -Military BDUs (Battle Dress Uniforms)
    -Civilian clothes (for moving through populated areas unnoticed)
    -Clothing that has names and DL#'s on them
    -Waders
    -Thermal blankets
    -Underwear
    First Aid/Hygiene:
    -First aid kit, including common meds
    -Toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash
    -Toilet paper
    -Cleaning and sterilizing supplies
    -Bleach
    -Razors/shaving gel
    -Deodorant
    -Soap
    -Sanitary setup if the toilets don't work
    -Painkillers
    -Dr Bronner's liquid peppermint soap for bathing, toothpaste, shampoo, dishs, laundry, etc.
    -Tampons
    Fuel/Heat/Power/Light:
    -Flashlight (crank or shake power)
    -Some type of fire starter
    -Canister of dryer lint or Vaseline cotton balls
    -Batteries (lots of them, preferably rechargeable)
    -Extra fuel for vehicles (20+ gallons)
    -Power inverter
    -Generator
    -Lots of propane
    -Butane lighters (who needs matches?) with fireplace starter log
    -Propane stove
    -Propane grill
    -Propane lantern
    -Solar power setup
    -Light sticks
    -Hand warmers
    -Candles
    -Matches (waterproof)
    Communications/Signaling/Timekeeping/Navigation:
    -Whistle
    -Two way radios
    -AM/FM/SW/NOAA radio (crank or solar power is good)
    -Cell phone
    -Land-line phone in your house (not rechargeable cordless phone)
    -Police scanner
    -Pocket TV
    -Blaze orange flags for emergency signal
    -Flares
    -Setup for gaining dial tone on main line away from house for emergency
    -Emergency strobes
    -Horns for audible attention
    -Compass
    -GPS
    -Maps/atlas
    -Watch
    -Calendar
    -Satellite TV/Internet
    Hardware:
    -Knife (sturdy and sharp)
    -Chainsaw
    -Plenty of tow straps and 20+ft chains
    -Rope
    -Duct tape
    -Clear tape
    -Storage containers that float and can be secured in case of flooding
    -Shovel
    -Motor oil
    -Antifreeze
    -Tire snow chains
    -Trash bags and empty baggies
    -Machete
    -Hacksaw blades (with taped ends)
    -Jumper cables
    -Tools
    -Tarpaulins
    Other:
    -Fishing pole, tackle, line
    -Portable shelter/Tent
    -Flat bottom boat with 25hp motor
    -Binoculars
    -Night vision goggles
    -Infra red heat sensor
    -Containers pre-packed with clothing, food, water and essentials for a quick get-away
    -Bug-out kit (essentials only)/Bug-out Boy/Bug-out Caravan
    -Cash/gold (to buy/trade/barter/bribe)
    -Friends (that you can trust)
    -Books (survival, medicine, edible plants/bugs, etc.)
    -Training (first aid, survival, etc.)
    edited November -1
    We've had almost 2 years to prepare. I hope its like Y2K and we are all laughing about this next year......but I doubt it.

If you are laughing now...then you are an idiot ! Wake up America !
    Abort Cuomo
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky

When you get there, check out Whistling Pines gun club, heard it is nice place but too pricey for me.
  • afartinthewindafartinthewind Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buffalobo
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky

When you get there, check out Whistling Pines gun club, heard it is nice place but too pricey for me.

Pay attention to dates [:)]

I'll be damned if I pay anyone here a penny to go shootin'.
  • buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Busted, spacing out!![:D][:D][:D]