In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

atf forms

mark308mark308 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
If I take a rifle to a gunsmith, have the barrel changed to a new caliber, when I pick it up do I have to fill out the atf form 4473 as if Im buying a new gun? thanks for the info.

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the BATF FAQ page....

quote: (I3) Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?

No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.

Changing the caliber would not make a difference anyway, as it is the "receiver" that is subject to the unconstitutional 4473 forms, not the barrel. (caliber)

(Barring any stupid "local" laws, like a 50 cal. in Calif.)
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed. If he keeps it overnight, he logs it into his bound volume, when returning logs it out as returned to original owner. No transfer of ownership, no 4473. Have your wife or brother pick it up, 4473.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As agunsmith, no we don't do a 4473 if it is returned to the same person who dropped it off. If a different person picks it up then a 4473 has to be done.

Lance