In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Obama's Assault Weapon Ban Promise (C&P)

RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
Fresh off the AP wire ...

Obama: Assault weapons ban made sense
17 hours ago

MEXICO CITY (AP) - President Barack Obama says he prefers to focus on enforcing existing laws to keep assault weapons out of Mexico, rather than trying to renew a U.S. ban on the weapons.

Obama says he still believes such a ban made sense. The most recent one expired in 1994.

But he says he'd rather enforce laws on the books that make it illegal to send assault weapons across the Mexican border.

Guns flowing into Mexico from the U.S. have been fingered in a rise in killings by Mexican drug cartels.

As a presidential candidate, Obama promised to push to reinstate the ban. He now says doing so would be politically difficult.

Obama commented in Mexico City at a news conference with President Felipe Calderon after their meeting.

I don't know about ya'll, but I'm TOTALLY thrilled about this Campaign Promise Flip-Flop!!

Comments

• Options
    ynoty3kynoty3k Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am extremely pleased in what he is saying, only concerned that he will do something different, you know, like making campaign promises and reversing them at a later date...

Now, if only we could get congress to legalize full-auto and other restricted NFA items....
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you don't believe him. Since becoming POTUS how many times has he said one thing and done another? After he is a politician.

Lance
  • Options
    1911 Gunslinger1911 Gunslinger Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He also promised to pull out of Iraq posthaste, to have no lobbyists in his admin., to have transparency in leadership, etc, etc, (could go on and on). The only thing he has been consistent on so far is being a liar.[xx(]
  • Options
    ctaylor1450ctaylor1450 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe he is coming to his sences or realizes the american people will not stand by and let him disarm us. I still wont slow up procuring my ammo mags just becase he is singing a differnt tune now.
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    I am highly dissapointed in his refusal to back his campaign promise. This simply means they are looking for a far more backdoor inroad into our rights rather than a full on frontal assault. A weasel doesn't give up their intended goal, the just slip in another way. Guards up, maintain the pressure, and force them to take their fight into the open, it is the only chance that we have to gain the support needed to win the battle
  • Options
    stevegrifftxstevegrifftx Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Obama cannot be trusted, he voted for antigun laws in the largest antigun state Illinois. Attorney General Eric Holder is a huge anti-gun advocate, as are the rest of Obamas non-tax paying cabinet.

MEXICO DOES HAVE A GUN PROBLEM - THEY NEED MORE GUNS.
    Mexico has no 2nd Amendment, legal gun ownership is banned. Citizens cannot protect themselves.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mexico has a lot tougher gun laws than us. It is already illegal to ship guns from US into Mexico. More laws will do nothing. Stop the Illegal Drugs being shipped from Mexico to the US. Oh, that is already illegal! Legalize and tax drugs here and a lot of the problem will go away.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess this means that there will be a flood of guns and ammo for sale on the market in short time from people looking at closet queens and thinking the money could be spent in other ways. [:D]
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    ForceReconForceRecon Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RogueStatesman
    Fresh off the AP wire ...

Obama: Assault weapons ban made sense
    17 hours ago

MEXICO CITY (AP) � President Barack Obama says he prefers to focus on enforcing existing laws to keep assault weapons out of Mexico, rather than trying to renew a U.S. ban on the weapons.

Obama says he still believes such a ban made sense. The most recent one expired in 1994.

But he says he'd rather enforce laws on the books that make it illegal to send assault weapons across the Mexican border.

Guns flowing into Mexico from the U.S. have been fingered in a rise in killings by Mexican drug cartels.

As a presidential candidate, Obama promised to push to reinstate the ban. He now says doing so would be politically difficult.

Obama commented in Mexico City at a news conference with President Felipe Calderon after their meeting.

I don't know about ya'll, but I'm TOTALLY thrilled about this Campaign Promise Flip-Flop!!

He won't try anything just yet. Remember what turned over Congress in '94? Yup, you got it. That pesky little AWB. He wants a second term really bad- but Congress wants to hold onto their power too. With 2010 looming, it's a high possibility that a voter's backlash to all this spending and future high tax rates, and looming gun bills will doom any chances of those D?D_D?D?уD?D,?_?, D?D?D?D??_D??,?+D,D? (Communist aparatchiks) getting re-elected by those Union thugs at local #666[}:)] who are clinging to their pipe wrenches, their slobbered on copy of Das Kapital, and their blood stained red banners. Which is why Obongo & primates has recently received some fairly strong letters from certain Senators and Congressmen PLEADING with him to hold off on any AWB, AND refusing to support any such legislation- Max Baucus (D) Montana, et. al. Well, that seems like a breather for the time being, unless someone actually listens to that left of Communists idiot Shiela Jackson-Lee- coupled with this growing populace of dependent sheeple. If they decide to become permanent government serfs, what will happen to them when we the producers decide to get in line with our hand out? Yes, that's right... starvation and depravity reminiscent of the Stalin era. But hey, I got my free health care!!! Yipppeeeeeee! Down with the Capitalists! Discard the free market! We WANT to be slaves!

BTW- Harry (The Red) Reid can kiss my grits. In 2010, he's done. He will go by the wayside the same way that Tom Daschel did. Stupid turd. Go lay in the yard. At least in six months you'd dry up and decay instead of stinking up the capital with your sticky/gooey fecal matter that you are. Sheesh!
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All this talk of what the politicians might or might not do is merely rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. You can talk about the inside political baseball all you want, but the truth is, a ban is coming. The groundwork is being laid with the media publiciizing every gun related incident and the soldiers like Ed Rendell out saying unpopular things on the morning news shows. Though there are millions of gun owners, the vast majority of the population have never seen a gun other than the hand gun being shot sideways on a thug music video. And of those that do own guns, many will lay down their arms at the first sign of oppression. Prepare yourselves, the tide is moving quickly against us and the RTKBA is going to disappear.

I listen and read too much. The depressing fact is that the sheep of this country are embracing the collectivist, spirit killing agenda of the Marxist who call themselves Democrats. We have a president who is yukking it up with the worst human rights abusers in the hemisphere, all depressing and dispirting unless you are willing to stand up and be counted...
  • Options
    BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:Guns flowing into Mexico from the U.S. have been fingered in a rise in killings by Mexican drug cartels.

They are still trying to spin this even though it has already been shown that a majority of the weapons found there (over 80% I believe) came from other countries than the US. Yep, we are the cause of the rise in killings. There are no other reasons.