In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Serial Number Missing

HenryT747HenryT747 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
There's a guy at work that asked my advice about a .45 ACP that his girl friend has. It was given to her many years ago. He doesn't know the make, but the serial number has been filed off and it needs cleaning as it's pretty dirty he said. He doesn't know much about guns. I haven't seen it either. I told him to be really careful about taking it to someone, like a gunsmith or gun store to be cleaned with the S/N filed off as I can imagine it's against the law to be in possession of a firearm with no S/N. Can someone tell me exactly what the law is concerning this firearm? Would a licensed FFL holder have to report it?

Comments

• Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldnt take it anywhere to be cleaned or worked on. If she has had it for all these years it will not likely help in solving a crime. Not its illegal. I would just clean it myself and keep it.
    It would be a good gun to use for gun buy backs maybe.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    However...if the law says report it, then report it.[;)]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Trip to club Fed right there. Highly illegal to have a firearm with a s/n that has been removed or defaced. Not necessarily illegal to have a firearm with no s/n since some were made with no serial number, but one that has had the serial number defaced or removed is another story.
  • Options
    melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:0] Tell the man to drive to the local atfbe office and show them. Make sure the Girlfreind is there too.

Christ ! cut it in at least 3 parts and dump it in different parts of the river.
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    take off all parts that can be used and get rid of the receiver. Have the guy buy a receiver and build him a new gun. That is if your capable of doing that for him.