In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is "No guns within 1000ft of a school" still law?

Little-AcornLittle-Acorn Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
It was Federal law many years ago, of course. Then it was found unconstitutional in the US v. Lopez case in 1995, IIRC.

I had heard that it was then re-written to avoid whatever Constitutional conflict the Supremes cited, and re-passed.

Is that so? Is it now law again?

Anyone know?

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about all states, but here in Colorado, you CAN have a firearm if you are in your vehicle, while on school grounds. Or "LOCKED IN YOUR VEHICLE" if you go INTO the school. This is for schools up to high school.

(quote)
    If I am carrying a concealed handgun and have to go on school grounds, what do I do?

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.
    A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked;
    (/quote)

Concerning colleges.

(quote)
    If I have a concealed carry permit, can I carry on college school grounds? YES
    (with conditions, and as long as it is a public school)

18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - unlawful possession of weapons - school, college, or university grounds.

(3) It shall not be an offense under this section if:

(d) The person, at the time of carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon

However, then Attorney General Ken Salazar wrote an opinion that, since the Regents to the University of Colorado are a constitutional office and have powers to govern that university, they may ban concealed carry on their campuses. As of the writing of this document, all of CU's campuses have a ban on concealed carry.

NOTE: The CSU Chief of Police has stated that valid permits to carry concealed shall be honored on CSU grounds.
    (/quote)
    Is that clear as mud?
  • Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a twist that I bet more than a few folks here are affected by - I live within 200 feet of a school. Does that make me a criminal because I have firearms in my house?
  • Little-AcornLittle-Acorn Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    Here is a twist that I bet more than a few folks here are affected by - I live within 200 feet of a school. Does that make me a criminal because I have firearms in my house?

It was a question like that, that caused me to wonder what the govt was going to do with the GPS coordinate data it was collecting with the 2010 census (actually it's collecting it in 2009).

Once they get the exact physical location of each house, it becomes a simple thing to take all the Form 4473s, type all the addresses into a computer, feed in the coordinates of every school, and get back a list of all the gun owners who live within 1,000 feet of a school. Then just go house to house with warrants, confiscating all the guns.

What? They're not supposed to use the 4473's that way? It's against the law, you say?

And, your point is.....??
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    Yes, the Gun Free Schools Act was rewritten and passed by Congress. It is current law.

For those who live within the school zone, the act does not apply on private property within the zone and you can transport firearms through the zone if they are unloaded and in a locked container.

There are certain exceptions, such as when you have a CCW issued by the state in which the school zone is located.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where I live(in Illinois[xx(])it's illegal to have firearms within 1000' of a school,park or a church.
    Needless to say there's an awfull lot of felons around.