In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Statism (Collectivism) in Action: Rant...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
From GD quote:Minnesota couple who refused chemotherapy for their 13-year-old son was ordered Friday to have the boy re-evaluated to see if he would still benefit from the cancer treatment _ or if it may already be too late.

Brown County District Judge John Rodenberg found Daniel Hauser has been "medically neglected" by his parents, Colleen and Anthony Hauser, who belong to a religious group that believes in using only natural healing methods practiced by some American Indians.

The judge allowed Daniel to stay with his parents, noting they love him and acted in good faith, but he gave them until Tuesday to get an updated chest X-ray and select an oncologist.

If the tumor has not grown and if Daniel's prognosis remains as optimistic as doctors testified last week, then chemotherapy and possible radiation appear to be in Daniel's best interest, Rodenberg wrote.

"The state has successfully shown by clear and convincing evidence that continued chemotherapy is medically necessary," he wrote, adding he would not order chemotherapy if doctors find the cancer has advanced to a point where it is "too late."

If chemotherapy is ordered and the family refuses, the judge said, Daniel will be placed in temporary custody.

It was unclear how the medicine would be administered if the boy fights it, which he said he would do, according to his court testimony unsealed Friday.

According to Daniel's court testimony, he believes the chemo will kill him, and said: "I'd fight it. I'd punch them and I'd kick them."

Calvin Johnson, an attorney for Daniel's parents, said the family is considering an appeal. For now, he said, Daniel is following the order and will have X-rays Monday.

Dr. Bruce Bostrom, a pediatric oncologist at Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota, diagnosed Daniel with Hodgkin's lymphoma in January and recommended six rounds of chemotherapy.

Wonder how it will be given if the boy refuses? tie him down and give it?.
A salient point posted below, in response to the OP, although the motivation (I believe) for the post was not due to individualist views, as follow in my rant. Nonetheless, the point is valid. quote:The boy doesn't want it. His parents don't want it.

Rant on......

This it the crux of the issue, period. Government has zero business intruding into an issue such as this.

An perfect example of "Collectivism vs. Individualism" in its purist form.

One point, before all the resident collectivist do-gooders come stampeding out of the woodwork.......

There is a price to be paid for individual liberty and for living in a free society. Poor, or stupid personal/family decisions are a part of that.

Far too many people let "good intentions", "the greater good", "we know best" and other benign reasons, guide their views on such issues.

Many are more malignant in their approach to such "Statist" actions. They are deliberate in their thoughts of "knowing better", being "smarter" and in forcing "societal good" on everyone else.

Where does the State get the authority (note I said "authority" not "power") to force ANYTHING such as this on a family who has made a conscious decision?

This is a classic example of how collectivism, aka "Statism" takes root and flourishes. Many are simply not willing to let individuals and their family the choice to live, or die, as they freely choose.

Frankly, it pisses me off, badly. Just stay out of people's business! It doesn't concern you, whether you like what is going on, or not.

Pushy, stupid, nosy, basturds, all of you who agree with this thought process of "common good" and my sentiment applies to the "state" too.[:(!][:(!]

What the hell do you think the end result of this kind of crap is going to be.

Idiots.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have been caught in my use of the term "c-luck" I see. [:I][:I][:I][:o)]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bha Bha Bha Zero Proof Jesus, or Mexican Alternative therapy killed any cancer at any time , place , or century. If the parents are too stupid to care for there children, the state should assist them, or take them. FOR the Kids welfare , despite the parents retardedness. Otherwise we are just animals.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    "Spoon" don't get it does he?[}:)]
    Every case must be considered on it,s own merits/facts. This case involves a well informed parent and a well informed child. The 'judge/government' has no 'right' to have any say in the matter.[:(!]
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    What the hell do you think the end result of this kind of crap is going to be.
    Maybe Obama will appoint a "Decision Czar" so we don't have to worry about it. The government will cure all our problems! We'll all be forced onto meds to keep our emotions in check and then just roll with the punches.
    This family chose to use alternative methods to combat cancer. I lost a business collegue to cancer, but he outlived his estimated expectancy by 2 years using alternative medicine. Shame on those who feel that modern medicine is the only choice.
    The judge should be disbarred for overstepping the authority given.
    Individual liberty is dead. How do we revive it?
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.