In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Laws and shipping to Massachusetts

Tomkat07Tomkat07 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Hello all,

I am a new member here at Gunbroker.com and its forums, and I'm looking forward to its auctions and disscusions.

I am a "Class A Large Capacity" firearms license holder in Massachusetts. I see that vendors and private sellers do not ship ammunition and magazines to Massachusetts.

My question is, can/will vendors and privates sellers ship ammunition and magazines to Massachuetss FFL dealers and gun shops? I am getting some conflicting information, and don't want to make purchases that are unlawful/problematic.

Where can I find the written law that forbids shipping ammunition and magazines to Massachusetts? I have been to the BATFE website regarding Massachusetts gun laws, but am not able to find specifics.

All the best,

Tomkat07

Comments

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome, Tomkat07

As the BATFE has little or nothing to do with Massachusetts law, you would best be served looking at Massachusetts Law.

A starter:

http://www.goal.org/legislation/quickoverview.html

For what its worth, after quick glance at what you have to put up with, the first thing I would do is move.

edit:

OK, curiosity has gotten the best of me. Why is it that a '"Class A Large Capacity" firearms license holder in Massachusetts' would be looking on a BATFE website for information unique to Massachusetts?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Tomkat07Tomkat07 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I should rephrase this a little bit.

What about ammunition components, like bullets and casings? I see that Cabelas and Midway wont ship any bullet components to Massachusetts; is it specifically illegal or mere widespread house policy?
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Tomkat07-

There is no law that specifically prohibits the sale of, or ship to of ammo and/or components to MA. As you know, components in and of themselves, are considered ammo by MA law. The AG in MA has determined that sales of ammo even from outside the Commonwealth are considered sales within the Commonwealth if they are recieved here. This would require all shippers to MA to have an ammo sales license from the Commonwealth. Under this premise, and some under threat by the AG, many sellers opt not to ship to MA. There are some who will, in defiance of the AG's consideration (and to his/her face-so they're not "flying under the radar") and that list is short, selective, and well kept by us MA residents who do not want to bring these people any undue attention. Some did not tell the AG to go ahead and sue, and may not be able to defend against frivolous litigation, so we keep them safe. One must gain the trust of some of those residents willing to provide the info.

Some will only ship to FFL's, some won't even do that. Magazines and such are not shipped due to sheer ignorance. It is perfectly legal in MA statute for a Class A (as long as it is All Lawful Purpose/Unrestricted) to posess any hi-cap mags or firearms he/she wishes.

I highly suggest you join Northeastshooters.com to engage in discourse with those much closer to home. You may well gain the trust you seek and the info will be provided. I am codenamepaul there as well. Welcome aboard and hope to see you there as well.
  • Tomkat07Tomkat07 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you codenamepaul for your useful reply. I will see you on northeastshhoterrs.com

Don McManus, thank you for your useful post as well. I am currently saving to move to a more everything-friendly state, asap. In the meantime I leave you this link:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/28thedition/massachusetts.pdf

Tomkat07
  • melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give Uncle Ted a call, he will help [:p]
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to the next NH gunshow and get them there.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would anyone be surprised about a state that worships the Kennedy's like a god.

As Don said,......move.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Marlin4442004Marlin4442004 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WARNING member CODENAMEPAUL has given incorrect information that will lead to a life time revoke of your licence in MA.

It is NOT legal to purchase a hi cap mag that was manufactured after the ban in 1998. It is legal to own PRE BAN hi cap ONLY. Getting caught with possesion of purchasing of Hi Cap is a automatic revoke for life of your LTC. Call the ATF or any gun shop in MA to get this info.

CODENAMEPAUL I would suggest to refrain from giving any more info.