In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Illinois Ammo Sales

trucker jimtrucker jim Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I am in the middle of a problem with a seller regarding out of state ammo sales to Illinois. I am not here to talk about that. What I want to talk about is why some sellers will sell to Illinois, but others will not? The Illinois law allows out of state sales as long as the Illinois resident can supply an Illinois issued FOID card. The law is 430 ILCS 65/3 section 3, paragraph B5. I have spent the afternoon bidding on ammo and whenever I came across a seller that would not sell to Illinois I sent them a message asking why and informing them of the Illinois law. I also asked if they knew somthing I don't to please pass that info along to me. So far I have gotten two responses. The first response was an offended seller that was upset that I would try to tell them how to run their business. The second response just stated that they don't need to look up the law because other sellers won't ship to Illinois so it must be wrong to do so. I don't know how to respond to that as anyone that takes their legal advise from another sellers ad is a seller I would rather not do business with anyway. But to all of the sellers that got a message from me and got offended, I am sorry! That was not my intent. I am just standing up for myself in these very questionable times. I do not like to see people put in their ad that Illinois is a restricted state for ammo, when it is not! If there are sellers out there that wish to restrict their sales to Illinois, state it as such! Do not say it is illegal, because it is not! At a time when we should all be standing together and supporting each other, problems like this should not be taking up our time. If I am wrong, please explain it to me. The time may be coming when the same people that don't have time to check out the laws are going to be asking for our support against the ones that are trying to put them out of business. Thanks for reading, and if you do not agree, please respond, as open discussion is another right that might not be around to much longer.

Comments

• Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am an Illinois resident and by collector ammo out of state from time to time. Nobody ever asked or questioned yet. I have a valid Illinois FOID card and would gladly send a copy if needed. I need a card to purchase ammo in Illionis. If I go across the river to Missouri, no one cares where I come form. I need to research the law again but I am wondering how the state of Illinois can control my purchase of ammo out side their boundaries? Federal Law controls interstate sales of firearms, not state laws.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TJ you are very correct here. All the seller needs is a copy of the FOID and a licence proving address/who you are so FOIDs aren't used by others.
    I think some just don't want to be bothered with keeping up with all the unconstitutional laws.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Slumlord, this is a problem that has started within the last couple of months here on gunbroker, but to hear some tell it the restriction on sales to ILL have been around forever. Like I said, I have the Illinois law covering out of state ammo sales listed above, but nobody can come up with any law stating that sales are not allowed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hunter FYI When I contacted the ISRA to explain the problem I was having with the seller, the president of the ISRA was in the office, took my info, and called the seller himself to advise her of the laws. It didn't matter, but that is what I mean by supporting each other. I am a member also.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the "Posting Guidelines"

quote:Other stuff we automatically delete:
    # Complaints or criticism about GunBroker.com, its staff, its policies, or any buyer or seller on that site.
    # Complaints about .........(in general all complaints will be deleted).
    Your complaining, here on these forums, about sellers doing business however they want, is NOT going to help. I am not deleting this thread. But by quoting the Posting Guidelines, I am letting you know why it is being locked.