In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NRA Missing the Obvious

tallcharlietallcharlie Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
Public opinion on firearms is formed by what the public sees most: violent entertainment and biased news reporting.

Public opinion is either the Achilles' Heal or the winning advantage of every political issue.

It seems that the NRA is accepting their defeat in the arena of public opinion without a fight.

Every morning we watch the news for the Body Count in Nashville: how many young men have killed each other during the dark hours? Bad for guns.

Every evening we watch CSI, Law & Order, and Southland on the tube. Bad for guns.

A successful adventure movie has to be filled with gun play and auto chases. Bad for guns.

So why isn't the NRA trying to effect public opinion through popular entertainment?

Why doesn't the NRA produce a show called, "The Armed Citizen"? Sound familiar?

Why isn't the NRA producing movies that illustrate citizens defending themselves with firearms? Families going hunting together? Teenagers shooting on the school trap team? These don't have to be movies about those subject, but merely containing them, including them as cameos and asides.

Besides getting the message out to the couch potatoes, a couple of good TV shows would earn plenty of money for the NRA coffers.

I floated this idea to LaPierre in Louisville last summer. His Reply? He shrugged and turned to talk to another member.

Doesn't it seem strange that the NRA only sponsors entertainment that appeals to those already convinced? That they preach only to the choir?

Comments

• Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    So why isn't the NRA trying to effect public opinion through popular entertainment?

I just sent lil Wayne La Pioop a letter asking that very question. Its fine and dandy, them sending out emotion evokeing letters begging for money but where the heck are they?

They should be booking a prime time spot on news programs bi weekly at the very least.. The NRA is useless, Or so stupid its pointless to even consider them useful. Why dont they just become a shooters training program and hand over they're power to a group who will use it to get the population up to date on the facts and lay bare the lies of the progressives.

They are in bed with the progressives and are too stupid or bought to know better. Idiots.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    His silence speaks volumes!

Lance
  • Options
    drshock18drshock18 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik

I just sent lil Wayne La Pioop a letter asking that very question. Its fine and dandy, them sending out emotion evokeing letters begging for money but where the heck are they?

They should be booking a prime time spot on news programs bi weekly at the very least.. The NRA is useless, Or so stupid its pointless to even consider them useful. Why dont they just become a shooters training program and hand over they're power to a group who will use it to get the population up to date on the facts and lay bare the lies of the progressives.

They are in bed with the progressives and are too stupid or bought to know better. Idiots.

You can tell the people of New Orleans that they are useless.

If it werent for the NRA's lawsuit, hundreds if not thousands more would have died during katrina when the scumbag mayor went around and took everyone's firearms. Oh yeah they went door to door, and anyone on here that thinks that wont ever happen.... newsflash it already has. Clinton even admitted that it was the NRA that stopped Gore from being elected in 2000.

However I still agree that they dont do enough to reach out to people who still think that gun-owners are a bunch of whack-jobs who drink whiskey all day and dont work. Or at least try to convince people who are on the that they need to start thinking about what happens when a nation is disarmed.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drshock18
    If it werent for the NRA's lawsuit, hundreds if not thousands more would have died during katrina
    It was the Second Amendment Foundation's law suit, NOT the NRA's. While guns were being confiscated, people were screaming, "Where is the NRA???"

Only AFTER the Second Amendment Foundation filed a suit did the NRA jump on board. Once the suit was won, the NRA had NO PROBLEM claiming ALL the glory in their follow up statement, somehow FORGETTING to mention that the Second Amendment Foundation was involved at all.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Not to defend the NRA, but most mainstream networks will not air other than collectivist propaganda.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Not to defend the NRA, but most mainstream networks will not air other than collectivist propaganda.
    Fox?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe. I saw a commercial for Henry Manufacturing a few times during Hannity's show on Fox.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    quote:Originally posted by drshock18
    If it werent for the NRA's lawsuit, hundreds if not thousands more would have died during katrina
    It was the Second Amendment Foundation's law suit, NOT the NRA's. While guns were being confiscated, people were screaming, "Where is the NRA???"

Only AFTER the Second Amendment Foundation filed a suit did the NRA jump on board. Once the suit was won, the NRA had NO PROBLEM claiming ALL the glory in their follow up statement, somehow FORGETTING to mention that the Second Amendment Foundation was involved at all.
    Pretty much pickenup.....But then, it is typical of them though.
  • Options
    bountyhunter101bountyhunter101 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mainstream TV will not let the NRA or any other pro-gun or Conserative shows be aired. They would refuse to sell them air time. Talk about suppressing freedom of speech.

LaPierre is do busy running over to Africa on safari with the members money. Same with the dufus that edits the magazine.
  • Options
    losttraillosttrail Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I discontinued my NRA membership years ago due to their policies and the amount of money that goes into administrators pockets.

I much prefer the GOA, RMGO.

NRA is too willing to make concessions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bountyhunter101
    Mainstream TV will not let the NRA or any other pro-gun or Conserative shows be aired. They would refuse to sell them air time. Talk about suppressing freedom of speech.

LaPierre is do busy running over to Africa on safari with the members money. Same with the dufus that edits the magazine.
    Although I didn't make it real obvious, I intended "popular entertainment" with my original suggestion. Obviously, if the NRA tried to buy time for "Gun Talk," on NBC they'd get the cold shoulder (or the bum's rush).[V]

That's not the way it works, though. What actually happens in the industry is that an independent producer floats a pilot or three and one of the networks buys the series. Like Cops on True TV and Fox, Police Videos, Most Exciting Car Chases, and others, the NRA could easily get its foot in the door by producing "The Armed Citizen."

They'd have to spice things up with a little drama, good looking chicks, and hunks, but the end result would be that people would be seeing guns used for good purposes by people other than perfect, totally dedicated, and nonexistent police personnel. Maybe they could do each show with four little vignettes, a la "Outer Limits" (if I remember correctly).

The show could also feature the occassional sleazy, underhanded Philadelphia lawyer suing the poor little old widowed pensioner for blowing away the two-time-loser, crackhead, murderer / rapist. That would be great for directing public sympathy and support where it belongs rather than where the talking-heads and liberal cry-babies try to put it.

Consider if the school shooting that was foiled by the two armed teachers had been accurately portrayed on TV. Hell, you couldn't give away a new gun law after that!

As I recall, the American Rifleman had one article that mentioned the facts of the event and then went on to decry the media's unfair tactics. Well, la di da, Mr. LaPierre, you think that will get the message across to the 95% of the population that aren't NRA members?

But, you guys are right. The same old highly technical, gun-intensive, hunting-the-high-country show ain't going to get it at 8PM on a Wednesday evening. You got to grab 'em by the heart and the balls and thrill the hell out of 'em!

While you are getting you message across.

That's what the big networks and studios have been doing for a couple of generations now. And here the NRA sits on their collective * with the resources to fight that, and LaPierre shrugs.

Read this: http://www.businessopportunitystartup.com/blog/abc-ignores-evidence-guns-useful-in-confronting-criminals/ and you'll understand a little of the problem we are facing.
  • Options
    melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NRA is Anti Gun
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    NRA = Negotiable Rights Association.
  • Options
    rkba4everrkba4ever Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those buggers called me last night, and had the unmitigated gall to ask me to pony up $1000 to help fight some new legislation that got introduced (yeah, like I'm taking money away from finishing building my house to give to Wayne), I said I couldn't so then the lady asks "Can I tell Wayne that you can give us $750?" OMFG!!! Here I am flat * broke buying stuff to keep building, and I told her that, and they keep asking for money[:(!] To me, they are more interested in raking in the dough than truly standing up for the Constitution........
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,496 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by melkor
    NRA is Anti Gun

An incorrect statement, IMO.

The NRA is pro-gun, pro-hunting, pro-shooting sports, and pro-firearm safety training.

Their two major drawbacks are that they promote the 2nd Amendment as a right to self-protection as compared to the right to freedom, and they have co-opted much of the gun rights movement into accepting that it is within Federal and Local Governments' power to license, register and regulate the ownership and possession of firearms. They seem to purposely interpret 'infringed' as 'denied'.

FWIW, I would support them if they would stop calling themselves a champion of the 2nd Amendment and simply stick to what they understand and do well. (It would save me a few bucks a year on range dues.)
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes the NRA is anti gun. Thats why all the firearm and ammo companies advertise in their publications. These guys like to support an anti gun orginization.
    You guys sound like my wife. If there is one thing you disagree on with somone, they are useless and no good.
  • Options
    ZilmoZilmo Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by melkor
    NRA is Anti Gun

Cool! Ya learn something every day!
  • Options
    blackhawk45blackhawk45 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never seen a commercial promoting the Second Amendment,by

#1 GOA

#2 CCRKBA

#3 JPFO

#4 NRA

#5 SAF

NUFF SAID
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blackhawk45

#1 GOA

#2 CCRKBA

#3 JPFO

#4 NRA

#5 SAF

NUFF SAID
    What network/mainstream cable network do you suppose would run such a commercial.

NUFF said.
  • Options
    IfticarIfticar Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

#1 GOA

#2 CCRKBA

#3 JPFO

#4 NRA

#5 SAF

NUFF SAID
    What network/mainstream cable network do you suppose would run such a commercial.

NUFF said.

You are too willing to give up on defending our Second Amendment rights.

Fox News, Fox Business News, the Military Channel, FX, the Outdoors Channel, the Speed Channel, RFD-TV, etc. I have even seen ads for Henry Rifles on MSNBC.

NUFF said.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ifticar

#1 GOA

#2 CCRKBA

#3 JPFO

#4 NRA

#5 SAF

NUFF SAID

NUFF said.

Fox News, Fox Business News, the Military Channel, FX, the Outdoors Channel, the Speed Channel, RFD-TV, etc. I have even seen ads for Henry Rifles on MSNBC.

NUFF said.
    Never seen a pro-Amendment II commercial on a major network/major cable-network. A specific gun manufacturer running an add for their product isn't what I am speaking of. By the way, did you see that same add on NBC, CBS, ABC etc?????

Doesn't mean that the impossible may not have occurred, just that I never saw it.

Military channel, Outdoor channel, RFD-TV(?), etc, are not what I term "mainstream", e.g. those which focus their broadcast to the general populous.

As for me being willing to give up anything related to individual liberty, well, you are merely ignorant and speaking out your neither-regions.[:)]

In the future, you may want to know something about the person you talk crap about, before you show your *.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited November -1

#1 GOA

#2 CCRKBA

#3 JPFO

#4 NRA

#5 SAF

NUFF SAID

NUFF said.

NUFF said.
    Never seen a pro-Amendment II commercial on a major network/major cable-network. A specific gun manufacturer running an add for their product isn't what I am speaking of. By the way, did you see that same add on NBC, CBS, ABC etc?????

Doesn't mean that the impossible may not have occurred, just that I never saw it.

Military channel, Outdoor channel, RFD-TV(?), etc, are not what I term "mainstream", e.g. those which focus their broadcast to the general populous.

As for me being willing to give up anything related to individual liberty, well, you are merely ignorant and speaking out your neither-regions.[:)]

In the future, you may want to know something about the person you talk crap about, before you show your *.

Just a thought.

All I know about you is that you want to give up on this idea without trying nor (by your own admission) knowing what has been done. That is quite enough knowledge about you to make a judgment. My judgment being that you are not willing to try. You are not willing support someone else who is willing to try. You are, however, very willing to crap all over the efforts and ideas of others.

I wish you had said, "Good idea. What can we do to make it happen?" If you could not bring yourself to do that, you could have at least avoiding crapping on other peoples' efforts.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    originally posted by Ifticar:

All I know about you (lt496) is that you want to give up on this idea without trying

Ifticar,

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. A search of these forums would prove it, and believe me, you wouldn't have to search far.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude

All I know about you (lt496) is that you want to give up on this idea without trying

Ifticar,

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. A search of these forums would prove it, and believe me, you wouldn't have to search far.

True. I only know what I see right here. Given the character traits that I see here, I am sure I would find a lot of back up if I were to bother to look further. This is the type of guy who like to rain on people's parades.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Ifticar,

True. I only know what I see right here. Given the character traits that I see here, I am sure I would find a lot of back up if I were to bother to look further. This is the type of guy who like to rain on people's parades.

No, he is the type of guy who tells it like it is.

Wish we had a country full. We'd be in much better shape.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ifticar, run an eyeball over this, then let's discuss It496's bona fides and what the NRA stands for:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=372896
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ifticar, run an eyeball over this, then let's discuss It496's bona fides and what the NRA stands for:

Now that is radical. [:D]

Not only does he not value the NRA but he wants to hurt the NRA.

I guess you guys are not life members.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Now that is radical. [:D]

Not only does he not value the NRA but he wants to hurt the NRA.

I guess you guys are not life members.

Nope, not anymore. I cancelled my life membership 2 years ago. I refuse to align myself with an organization that has aided in the regulation/restriction of the citizens' RTKBA.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Know it all newbies. [B)]

Some are willing to learn, some are not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    Know it all newbies. [B)]

Some are willing to learn, some are not.

Sad, but true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hurt the NRA or reveal certain truths about it? (To those who might want to open their eyes, that is)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the defense guys, really, particularly being spontaneous as it was. I simply chose not to respond any further to him/her.

My comments speak for themselves, if they are read and understood, but after all, Ifticar does have me pegged and all figured out anyway.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the defense guys, really, particularly being spontaneous as it was. I simply chose not to respond any further to him/her.

My comments speak for themselves, if they are read and understood, but after all, Ifticar does have me pegged and all figured out anyway.[:)]

Yeah, he's a Carnac the Magnificent and Miss Cleo all rolled into one.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1

[:D][:D][:D]

I've been spectacularly impressed with the astute and piercing assessment of me.[8)] I simply never knew that about myself.[:)]

Well, I've gotta go somewhere now and be negative and then stop any potential actions relative to supporting individual liberty that someone, somewhere, may be contemplating, then I am gonna go rain on someone else's parade now Shane.[;)][:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

[:D][:D][:D]

I've been spectacularly impressed with the astute and piercing assessment of me.[8)] I simply never knew that about myself.[:)]

Well, I've gotta go somewhere now nd be negative and then stop any potential actions relative to supporting individual liberty that someone, somewhere, may be contemplating, then I am gonna go rain on someone else's parade now Shane.[;)][:o)]

May as well.

According to our resident expert 'profiler' Niftycar, that is all you are good for.[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the defense guys, really, particularly being spontaneous as it was.[:)]

Are you kidding. Looking at some other threads, you guys always round around holding each other's hands.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the defense guys, really, particularly being spontaneous as it was.[:)]

Are you kidding. Looking at some other threads, you guys always round around holding each other's hands.

Nope, just like minded individuals with the intelligence to see what has been going on in our country. We all started as brainwashed as you, but we opened our eyes and saw what was happening, as you would if you opened yours and your mind .

And what do you run around holding?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:just like minded individuals with the intelligence

I see. You are anti-NRA MENSA members who hold each others hands. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:just like minded individuals with the intelligence

I see. You are anti-NRA MENSA members who hold each others hands. [;)]

And you hold what?[;)] Yes, I am anti NRA. I can not support those who don't support The Constitution and its Amendments as written and intended. I was a NRA life member, but am no more. They do well in their youth agenda, but the political side leaves much to be desired.

Lance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:And you hold what?

Right now, my nose.