In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre 1898 firearm problems.

antenna3antenna3 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I hear this comment on a daily basis that if its a pre 1898 firearm its exsempt from federal regulations. Federaly that is true, but state laws often do not agree. So lets take NY state that I am a gun dealer in.
If ammunition is available in ordinary commerce then its not an antique, its a useable firearm ( regardless of when it was made).
This firearm would have to be on your pistol permit. What is odinary commerce? 20 years ago that would have been the local gun store , so there was no problem with a pre 1898. Now the internet has made available ammo for almost any firearm you can think of.
As I stand befor the judge- but its a perfectly usable 1888 Iver johnson in 32 S&W that I just loaded with ammo from wallmart. Your honor the BATF says I can own it-- yea right as you march off to jail. Thats why many dealers will insist on a C&R even though you, the feds, and anyone else say its an antique.

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    So it appears that you, as a `gun dealer' are unhappy that pilgrims out there are not well versed in some arcane, obscure edict from your Masters books.

Allow me to inform YOU that there are those of us out here that are unhappy about YOUR activities, also.

You are engaged in an illegal scheme hatched by overweening government.

You are compiling a vast data base for that government;
    You are aiding in the breaking of the spirit of a free citizenry.
    You are part of an business/government monopoly that is BANNED by the Constitution, per the Second Amendment.

You are part of a nauseating group of people that price fix, monopolize, gather information on the general population, and turn that information over to the government .

Your list of sins far outweigh those of the decent citizens just attempting to live their lives free of government oppression.
    You eagerly embrace that oppression...and help spread it.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, gave my 01 FFL up 4 years ago due to the reasons cited by HB!

Lance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Zink ;
    Knew I would be stepping on the toes of some people.
    Glad to hear of your position..and the reason for it.

Think the hour is entirely too late to continue to coddle those that insist upon blind obedience to the insanity all around us.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    In New York State, you do NOT need to put an antique handgun (Pre-1899, not 1898) on your permit UNLESS you have the ammunition (cartridges, black powder with caps & balls, etc.) either loaded into or in proximity of the gun where it's readily usable. Your Iver Johnson is an antique and exempt from registration EXCEPT where you stated that you loaded it, in which case it becomes a firearm subject to registration.
  • Options
    dsmithdsmith Member Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well said, Highball!

While I buy guns at my local gun store, I know I have made a concession. I filled out the paperwork, and got the NICS check perfored, and submitted to the faschists in power. None of this "Licensed Dealer/Collector" stuff is supported by the Constitution.

I agree with Larry Pratt of the GOA when he said that you should be able to walk into a hardware store and buy a heavy machine gun without filling out any forms or giving your name. "Shall not be infringed" means exactly what it says.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Dsmith ;

Now, antenna3, where did you go ? SURELY you have a spirited defense for your government work of gathering names, addresses and such of gun owners...