In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Incident

scottg28scottg28 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I would like to hear some takes on an experience. I was stopped for speeding in a town, which I have lived for 11 yrs. The Officer asked for my License and proof of insurance. When I pulled out my license. The officer saw my conceal and carry permit. He asked if I had a gun in the car. I told him, that I did. HE asked what kind. I told him handgun. He then asked where it was located. I informed him in the center car console. He then asked me to step out of the car he was going to take possession of the gun until we were through. So, I thought OK just cooperate. So, I stepped out of the car, he took the gun out of the console and placed it on the hood of the patrol car( he told me everything he was going to do before he did it). He had me go back to my car, and he did his thing checking my license. He return to my car with my License and handgun. Handed me the gun I placed it back in the center console. He told me he checked my license, and checked the gun and all was clear????
He did not write me a ticket. The officer was not an * about it, he had actually a nice demeanor. Also I was told if pulled over in the future, to inform the officer there is a firearm in the vehicle. Opinions please.

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Here in Oklahoma, the law requires one to show the CCW license at the same time as the drivers license.

Your State may , also. I believe it to be breaking the law to not do so.
    If that is the case..he let you off easy.

We are not discussing 'right or wrong or Constitutional' here...just the 'law'.

Or 'color of law' as some of us like to call it.....
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Colorado, you do NOT have to inform an officer that you have a firearm in your possession. When they run you they will know if you have a CCW.

I have heard of some officers that take the firearm, when they stop you, most do not. Officers discretion.

The color of law. [;)]
  • CartuchoCartucho Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Utah it is legal to carry a concealed and loaded handgun inside of a vehicle, without a concealed carry permit. This is new this year.

In Utah, in a level 2 encounter (infraction traffic stop) a peace officer can ask if you have a firearm in your vehicle, and ask you to surrender it. Under this condition the vehicle occupant is under no obligation to answer that question or to surrender a firearm.

Generally each state has a website that can answer your ccw questions, or you can get on to the NRA website. NRA keeps pretty good tabs on individual state ccw law.

Incidentally, I'm both a cop and a ccw instructor.