In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MD Carry Permit

mikemassmikemass Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
HEllo. I am a handicapped individual living in the State of Maryland. I have been trying to research obtaining a gun permit for self defense purposes in the event that a situation arose. My handicap prevents me from defending myself effectively, and I am often out and about late at night by myself. The places on the net I have seen all say that my permit application must be accompanied by police reports supporting my reason for application. Nothing has happened to me as of yet... but this is about defending myself if something DID happen. Anyone who could elaborate on what I should place in that section of my application? Any help is greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance.

Comments

  • Options
    buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike, the best place to get this info is on the Maryland state website. There are plenty of knowledgable people here, but a violation of state or federal law involving a firearm is a serious situation. Don't rely on some guy on a forum. Another resource could be a local trusted gun shop owner. Start research here.

    http://www.msp.maryland.gov/services/licensing.asp
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Mike, the RIGHT to self defense is God given, not at the approval of some human fool. Might I suggest you move to another state?
  • Options
    buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good point Jeff, as I was typing reply my thought was good luck and why would you live there anyway.
  • Options
    mikemassmikemass Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah. The problem with the MD site is that section 2f seems to restrict personal carry to people who have an existing problem.

    2
    f) Personal Protection: There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by
    official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.

    I do not know any local gunshop employees on a personal level. I do not as of yet own a gun. I just found myself crossing the street to avoid people the other night and realized that I was afraid of them. It is not a good feeling to be helpless. And I also belive that defending myself is my Right... not the decision of any member of the MD government. I do not however, want to carry a weapon without a permit so unfortunately I am in a bind. Also...I can not move for this. I have a job and a family here in Maryland, and uprooting them to make me feel better is not an option.

    Does this section of the MD Gun Law mean there is no way for me to get a permit? Is anyone aware of extenuating circumstances under the Americans With Disabilities act?

    I am not asking for advice on circumventing the Law in any way. Only whether or not anyone can assist me in what I should write in that section of the application. And if anyone has first hand experience in the State of MD or another "May-Issue" state.
  • Options
    buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike, those laws IMO are written to make you feel just as you do. Helpless. I don't have any answers for your situation. Maybe ask if anyone is from Maryland on general discussion forum and then email them for resources. Best advice is to move away from there, to a more gun friendly state. I would think your family would support this action, especially if you live in a dangerous or deteriorating area. Freedom and safety are rarely easy, and usually involve life altering decisions. Good Luck and hang aournd GB in the future.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mikemass
    Yeah. The problem with the MD site is that section 2f seems to restrict personal carry to people who have an existing problem.

    2
    f) Personal Protection: There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by
    official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.

    I do not know any local gunshop employees on a personal level. I do not as of yet own a gun. I just found myself crossing the street to avoid people the other night and realized that I was afraid of them. It is not a good feeling to be helpless. And I also belive that defending myself is my Right... not the decision of any member of the MD government. I do not however, want to carry a weapon without a permit so unfortunately I am in a bind. Also...I can not move for this. I have a job and a family here in Maryland, and uprooting them to make me feel better is not an option.

    Does this section of the MD Gun Law mean there is no way for me to get a permit? Is anyone aware of extenuating circumstances under the Americans With Disabilities act?

    I am not asking for advice on circumventing the Law in any way. Only whether or not anyone can assist me in what I should write in that section of the application. And if anyone has first hand experience in the State of MD or another "May-Issue" state.


    Simple Mike, better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. Civil disobedience is the order of the day when you live in tyranny.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike, sent you a email with a link in it.
    May help, may not.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf

    Simple Mike, better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. Civil disobedience is the order of the day when you live in tyranny.


    Sage advice.[;)]
  • Options
    mikemassmikemass Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks a bunch! I will check it out!
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mikemass
    Yeah. The problem with the MD site is that section 2f seems to restrict personal carry to people who have an existing problem.

    2
    f) Personal Protection: There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by
    official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.


    sheesh so you have to wait to be beaten up first or possibly killed before you can even apply for a permit--sad that a permit is needed at all but to have to first be hurt is criminal in itself.


    Is Open Carry legal in your state?
  • Options
    miker4_umiker4_u Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    Mike, the RIGHT to self defense is God given, not at the approval of some human fool. Might I suggest you move to another state?
    Don't move to California tho,
    The Book on gun laws here is about 6 inche's thick.
    This State sucks and I'm on my way out.
    Born and raised in Upper Michigan.
  • Options
    Sthomas229Sthomas229 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike I'm sorry to say unless you're a doctor or own a business that takes in alot of cash, you don't have the proverbial snowball's chance of get a MD ccw. At least as things stand now, I belong to an organization trying to change that, check us out http://www.marylandshallissue.org/ also check out http://www.mdshooters.com/ for local guys talking guns.
Sign In or Register to comment.