In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Convicted felons

Greekone32Greekone32 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I am a guy who was falsley accused 29 years ago and have
lost my gun rights in a town that has high crime . . .I
should be allowed to get my rights back after 29 years of CLEAN LIFE . . .How do I protect my family??? Why should I not have a gun?

Lawrence

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Not touching THAT with a ten foot pole.

By the by, how is O?
    [:o)][8D]
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Why should I not have a gun?
    You should.
    The reason why you don't ?
    A tyrannical government, coupled with a population of man-cowards.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,496 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You cannot have a gun because if you were allowed to have one you may decide to kill four police officers in a coffee shop.

Because of the restriction on your owning a gun, this type of event can never happen.

You can call an attorney and attempt to get your felony expunged. If you are successful in doing so, society will be safe with you possessing a firearm. Without the paper, however, we are unsafe.

Good luck.

Don

Edit:

I apologize for the flippancy. This question comes up quite a bit.

Locally, it cost about $ 5,000 to get a felony conviction expunged. It obviously depends upon the nature of the crime, and there are crimes that are typically ineligible. Typically, however, probably depends upon how much one is willing to pay a lawyer.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Greekone32
    should be allowed to get my rights back after 29 years of CLEAN LIFE . . .How do I protect my family??? Why should I not have a gun?

Lawrence

Start with falsely accused. Can I assume you fought it valiantly but lost the case for one of a hundred reasons?
    McManus was right on point. It will take a lot of legal work and the blessings of the judicial system and the State Attorney General's office to get your 2nd Amendment rights back. On the bright side, it can be done. On the dark side, without knowing what the entire case is, I nor anyone else can do more than speculate and point you in the direction of your local BAR association.

I wish you best of luck on an uphill path.

COB
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where I am, you can petition the court of your conviction to have your rights restored. That is a place to start in your quest.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    falsley accused
    You said accused not convicted.
    BIG difference, please clarify.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    You cannot have a gun because if you were allowed to have one you may decide to kill four police officers in a coffee shop.

Because of the restriction on your owning a gun, this type of event can never happen.

Nice that laws restricting gun ownership[B)] do such a wonderful job of protecting from such scenarios.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You should be able to own a gun. If you have been deemed safe to be released amongst society, you should have ALL of your rights restored after your debt to society has been paid.

We'd have a whole lot less repeat offenders if that were the case. I cannot see how the Gov't has gotten away with this crap for so long. An Ex-Felon would be insane to live in the area I live in (if you spent any time outdoors)...everyone carries a gun in the woods around here. The gov't should not be infringing upon our God given rights.[V]...but until we get the laws changed, we must abide by them.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    In a perfect world, yes. But in a perfect world, there would be no felons anyway.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So it would appear that either we have a perfect world...or decent citizens crawl on their bellies to buy the weapons required to keep predatory, tyrannical government at bay.

In other words.we petition government for the means to CONTROL that government.

Rightttttttt.got it.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    You should be able to own a gun. If you have been deemed safe to be released amongst society, you should have ALL of your rights restored after your debt to society has been paid.

Never thought of it quite like that, but if they are not safe enough to be trusted with a gun then they don't need to be roaming free to begin with. There is no justification for allowing a non violent felon who has served his time to walk free and prohibit them from possessing firearms while we allow convicted rapist to walk around free carrying in possession of thier instrument of crime.
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1

Lawrence

I have always been a fan of the medieval flail. Louisville sluggers, swords and shields, and nunchucks are fine as well. A bow and arrow with broadheads would work wonders, as would a crossbow or blackpowder revolver.
  • Options
    TORT7TORT7 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FRIEND: IF YOU WERE CONVICTED, RIGHTFULLY OR WRONGFULLY NEARLY 30 YEARS AGO, YOU HAVE ONLY THREE COURSES OF ACTION -- A COURT ORDER EXPUNGING YOUR RECORD, WITH THE PROVISION THAT YOU ARE PERMITTED TO APPLY FOR A CCW; A STATE OR PRESIDENTIAL PARDON (TRY GETTING ONE FROM THIS TREASONOUS; ANTI-SECOND AMENDMENT; DICTATOR WANNABE SLIME); A REVERSAL OF YOUR CONVICTION BASED UPON "NEW EVIDENCE"; AND THAT'S ABOUT IT. AS OTHERS HAVE ADVISED, IT WILL COST YOU IN LEGAL FEES (OR HOMAGE TO A JUDGE IN ONE OF THE MANY CORRUPT STATES). SORRY, BUT THAT'S THE REAL DEAL. BEST OF LUCK!

TORT37
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    If you were innocent I would hope there would be a way for you to get ALL your rights back. If you were convicted of a non-violent crime (tax evasion, etc) then I for one don't see the logic in you not having a right to own a gun.

If you were actually guilty of a violent crime, then society has a right to never have to hand you a gun with societies blessing. Meaning that if you were to shoot me or one of my family, at least it would not be with a gun that society said you could have. In fact, if a violent criminal had a legal right to own a firearm and DID shoot a loved one of mine, I would not even be able to have you prosecuted/punished because of your gun ownership. The best I could hope for is that the court would punish you for your criminal actions. In many cases of a convicted felon committing a crime with a firearm, since that felon cannot legally own a firearm, at the very least that felon gets 10 or so years in prison for the illegal possession of a firearm. If we went by the "absolutely no gun control laws" as preached by many here, that could never happen.

I know, I know, the radicals here will just laugh and say that if a violent criminal harms one of my loved ones I should be the one to go out and kill that criminal. So OK in theory to me but in reality if I did that I would probably end up in prison and my loved ones still alive would suffer for that. Or, I could even come out on the losing end of my vendetta and I and my loved ones would also suffer. If we all lived in the jungle with no rules, that is an option I would accept. But we live in a society of laws so I would let the police and courts (which my taxes pay for) handle it for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is this 'nation of laws' that allows a vicious animal back on the streets, TR...YOUR laws, YOUR insanity...not the laws of a sane society at all.

You want and DEMAND the ability to add ten years to a prison sentence becuase the animal killed a loved one with a GUN. Can you not see the INSANITY of that ?

Make the sentence HARSH for murder..and END the insane business of adding a dozen different nonsense charges...designed to trap and hold INNOCENT people....