In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NO GUNS at COSTCO

dbr2513dbr2513 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Last week my wife and I went to Costco to become members and on the fron of the store there was a sign saying that NO GUN on premises. We the went back to the car and went home and I wrote this letter and sent it out. If you have a Costco near you pleace copy and paste and sent it out. or to a friend.

Dear Store Manager:

Wanting to become Costco members my wife and I stopped in at the West Nashville location and I found that the store has posted with a placard that forbids law abiding concealed carry permit holders from entering without first disarming. After further investigation I am seeing what seems to be a trend (seemingly backed by a corporate policy) of denying law-abiding patrons the ability of self-defense while in your establishment. I find this disturbing a couple of different levels.

As a law abiding firearm carrier it is absolutely insulting that your corporation would make a conscious decision to suppress a right granted to me by the Constitution that I have spend more than 20 years in uniform defending. I now have to be disarmed to enter Costco. Laws have existed in many states for several years with very little problems with people that are legally carrying. What steps are you going through to make sure that nobody is carrying illegally in your establishment? Someone that will do harm to your customers and workers will not care that there is a sign posted on the front of your store saying, No firearms allowed on premises. Neither my wife nor I seen any Nashville Metro Police officers or any other security officers in the parking lot insuring our safety.

I am also concerned about a person leaving a firearm in an unattended car. This allows a criminal to break into a car and obtain handguns that they would otherwise not be able to obtain because the person owning them would have them on their bodies.

I cannot support such a corporate policy with my patronage. I will be spreading the word about this anti individual rights policy. Until this policy is changed, I will not visit any of your locations.

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen open carry any number of times in my local Costco.

No one has asked if I am carrying, and I have seen no placards to suggest it is discouraged.

Are you sure this is a corporate policy?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    atticus69atticus69 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a CCW permit,am a lawyer and part time judge.So I add this as a possible explanation.Here in Ohio, businesses have the right to post no concealed carry signs and if you carry in them that is a crime.I don't like it, but it is the law.Now take costco, say they don't post the sign and somebody with a ccw shoots some one else in a costco store.Who do you suppose gets sued?
    It may be corporate policy against guns, it may however just be a smart policy to cover their backside from liability.
  • Options
    thebigsdthebigsd Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found a lot of times that some stores post signs against their corporate policy. I went to a different Walmart than I normally go to last week and they had a sign up. I called corporate and they told me Walmart's policy is to allow gun owners to carry in accordance with each state's laws. I called the store manager and he agreed and assured me the sign would be taken down. There might be a similar situation going on at your Costco because I carry at mine.