In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CCW and gun registration ?

amandersonamanderson Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I dont know if this question belongs here or not, but here it goes. I just received my CCW permit afew weeks ago and I've been carrying a Kel-Tec 380 that is not registered in my name. I bought it from a friend and we didnt mess with any paper work, just I gave him cash, he gave me the gun. If I were to defend myself using this firearm, would I receive any kind of heat or trouble from the Law, judges or Lawyers for defending myself with a firearm not registered in my name? Should I carry a firearm registered to me instead of one that is not, or does it really matter? I'm a newbee, so I'm sorry if this is a lame question. I just know how some people can turn small issues into major problems. And if I have to defend myself, I dont want this to be an issue. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Check with your particular state to verify any required registration laws.

It would seem to me that if you have just received your 'CCW Permit' that you would have been required to have at least a basic understanding of your state's laws regulating (unconstitutionally of course) firearms and their carry, prior to successfully completing the course.

That aside, some states require registration of firearms, many do not. It is incumbent upon YOU to educate yourself on what legalities govern YOU in YOUR state or municipality.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    In Texas, there is no gun registration. I don't know about your state; you will have to check that out for yourself.

When I was teaching CHL classes, I did advise my students to know the pedigree of any gun they intend to carry. The gun you got at a good price at the flea market, or from "some guy" who approached you at the car wash or walking the aisle of a gun show, may not be such a good deal if it turns up in the hands of a nice police officer who checks it and finds it was reported stolen.

Buy new from a dealer.

Buy used from a dealer.

If you do buy from an individual, get a bill of sale with his real name, address, and physical description on it.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Better listen to Nunn, here.

You already have decided to enter the system...get the weapon from a dealer and the paper trail stops right there in the event of a shooting.

You shoot somebody with a weapon that has been stolen down the line somewhere...your troubles have just begun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, where I live you dont have to register your firearms. I do know that much. I just didnt know if a concealed firearm had to be registered. That question never came up in the CCW class. Heck, I never even thought about it until a guy at work brought it up. [I do plan on finding out all the legalities for sure today] I think I'll take nunn's advice and get something from a dealer. Atleast that way, if something were to happen, it would be my gun, registered in my name. Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can always use the Kel-Tec as a throw down.[:)]

But seriously, check with your friend, and if he knows the history of the pistol and it is clean, you should have nothing to worry about. This assumes, of course, that an FTF transfer is still legal in Missouri.

It is obviously your call, but if you know the pistol is clean, you have no problem. If you suspect otherwise, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I trust my friend I bought it from. I was with him when he bought it new a few years ago actually. I was just worried that if I used it to defend myself, that a lawyer or Police Officer would/could use the fact that it wasnt registered in my name against me somehow.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amanderson
    I trust my friend I bought it from. I was with him when he bought it new a few years ago actually. I was just worried that if I used it to defend myself, that a lawyer or Police Officer would/could use the fact that it wasnt registered in my name against me somehow.
    If registration is not required and you know the history of the pistol, you are 100% in the clear. I, personally, wouldn't think twice about it, and would carry the Kel-Tec if it suits you.

David Nunn is an LEO, and is suggesting options that make his work easier. His suggestions will also simplify your life in the event you need to use your pistol, but this is only because you will be treated differently if an unnecessary paper trail exists.

Bottom line - there is no need for you to alter what you want to do for some government agent. You are in the clear.

edit: After re-reading, the above, I wish to state that in no way do I mean to denigrate David Nunn. All evidence suggests he is one of the good guys. Because of his profession, however, he will inevitably view these things differently than some. I personally am a staunch advocate of creating paperless firearms whenever possible for the simple reason that in the event of the unthinkable yet inevitable, those will be the only firearms you truly own.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele