In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping - UPS - Antique Musket ?

cabinetcabinet Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I was under the impression that I (non-FFL) would be able to ship the 1863 Musket I sold on GB to the buyer (non-FFL). UPS told me (both in store and on phone) that I had to ship an antique gun to a FFL holder. Am I misreading the rules ? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Most UPS clerks are idiots. You don't need to say it's a gun if it's an antique. You can ship it through the post office.

However, some states and localities DO require that blackpowder guns go through an FFL, such as New Jersey, NY City, and DC. Be sure your buyer knows his local laws.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spider is right about DC NY and NJ require pretty much all thru FFL.

Even when shipping to other locations. What the counter person does not know will not hurt them.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the BATF FAQ page....

quote:(A3) Do antique firearms come within the purview of the GCA?

No.

quote:(P10) Does the Brady law apply to the transfer of antique firearms?

No. Licensees need not comply with the Brady law when transferring a weapon that meets the Gun Control Act's definition of an "antique firearm."

GCA = The Gun Control Act

As for being able to mail it through the postal service.
    From the DMM (Domestic Mail Manual)
    The rules for the Post Office.

quote:11.2 Antique Firearms

Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 11.1.3 through 11.1.6.
    Which basically means anyone can mail them.

The post office definition of an antique firearm follows. Does your 1863 Musket fit the criteria? [;)]

quote:Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.