In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reinstate the Draft?

steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
I want some feedback on this one. Some real opinions. If we were to bring back the draft and placed thousands of youth, scared as hell, to go to Afgahnistan and kids start coming back in bags; would people wake up to the lie we have been told about "no more troops to Afgahnistan"? (He straight lied on his platform) We have men who have served 7 tours plus already. Some are not stable people. They need a break. Just an interesting theory that I came across. Please comment.
steve

Comments

• tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i am against any draft for undeclared political war...as a matter of fact i am against us even being in afganistan..and i think iraq was a big mistake..and a costly one at that.

if president i would have ordered the strongholds of the terrorist annihilated wherever they were, when and where we found them,and if war was imminent,i would have layed waste one city a day ,until they surrendered[V]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Philosophically, I oppose the draft, since 'the state' does not own your body, your mind, your soul, or the fruits of your labors.

As a staunch individualist, the very thought of forcing someone into any form of service of the government, by government, is abhorrent to me.

That said, we do live in a Republic and there are likely legitimate times that the nation itself could be in direct jeopardy, not like our current and our many past 'a'merican empire adventures.

In the event of a constitutionally declared war, where the necessity existed to defend the Republic against a legitimate enemy, it may be necessary.

Due to our extra and anti-constitutional government's actions of the past many, many decades, the water is so muddied in this area as to be near impenetrable.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Young people ask me ; Should I go in the service ?

The answer...Sure...IF you want to learn how to use all those lovely toys.
    Do NOT buy into the crap propaganda that you are 'fighting for American freedom'. That ain't happened for many generations.

You are fighting for a cause...the cause of the New World Order.and the advancement of the Elites. UNDERSTAND THAT...and come back with your knowledge, prepared to fight for REAL American freedom some day...right here on these shores.

NO DRAFT unless and until politicians are made to pay the ultimate price for self-serving, duplicitous, corrupted sell-outs of this country.

I would urge every young man to go elsewhere to avoid a draft today.

There is a STARK difference between serving a Master...and serving your Country.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always respected how Cassius Clay handled his call up for the draft. In effect, he stated he was an American, but disagreed with the policy and would not comply. He nullified what he felt was an illegitimate request by his government.

Personally, I feel it is unconscionable to prove a point to the masses via the ultimate sacrifice of a few via photo-ops from Dover AFB.

No, a draft that is not required by a direct threat to the sovereignty of this country is wrong.

Such a threat has not occurred for almost 200 years.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    I don't agree with the draft.

That said, all men and women are part of the militia. I honestly don't think the reason behind the milita had anything to do with policing the world, or empire building, which about any war boils down to (in the past MANY years).

If you have to "draft" someone into serving, do you really think they are going to fight to win, or do you think they will duck and dodge until their time is up?
  • steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's about time you guys got home. Let me read a bit and reply tomorrow.
  • huntfreakhuntfreak Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball

Do NOT buy into the crap propaganda that you are 'fighting for American freedom'. That ain't happened for many generations.

You are fighting for a cause...the cause of the New World Order.and the advancement of the Elites. UNDERSTAND THAT...and come back with your knowledge, prepared to fight for REAL American freedom some day...right here on these shores.

NO DRAFT unless and until politicians are made to pay the ultimate price for self-serving, duplicitous, corrupted sell-outs of this country.

There is a STARK difference between serving a Master...and serving your Country.

its easy for you to say. while your comfortable at your house while american soldiers are away from there loved ones for sometimes years. paying the ultimate price.

try taking a walk in a soldiers shoes and then come back and say they aint keeping your a*^ free

politics or not they join to serve their country and to keep america free and safe. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO STAND BEHIIND OUR TROOPS.....STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see....

Highball: longtime five star member.

huntfreak: total newbie.

OK.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by huntfreak

its easy for you to say. while your comfortable at your house while american soldiers are away from there loved ones for sometimes years. paying the ultimate price.

try taking a walk in a soldiers shoes and then come back and say they aint keeping your a*^ free

politics or not they join to serve their country and to keep america free and safe. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO STAND BEHIIND OUR TROOPS.....STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Oh brother, it didn't take long for a 'keeping America safe' sycophant to leap up in typical misplaced patriotic fervor.

God help this once great Republic....
    edited November -1
    quote:try taking a walk in a soldiers shoes and then come back and say they aint keeping your a*^ free
    Really.

Heard of gun control ?
    Eminent domain...where they take private land and give it to developers ?
    Patriot Act ?
    Know your Neighbor act ?
    National Health Care ?
    Cap and Trade ?
    Police road blocks.'papers please' ?

Just a few off the top of my head.

Sounds like they are not doing too good of a job.if they are protecting `my freedoms'.ehhh ?

No..what they are doing is just exactly what we did in the old days...vietnam era.
    We obeyed the orders of our masters...and came home to less freedom. We quit...just when we SHOULD HAVE STARTED FIGHTING FOR FREEDOMS right here at home.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Ok, listen freak;

Wipe the GD foam/drool from your mouth and try using your head.

1. Careful with your 'walk a mile in their shoes' bit. Many of us, including the man you berate, have done just that.

2. There is a vast difference in securing freedom for American citizens and securing interests for greedy puppet-masters.

You have leveled the typical Republican response. Anyone who raises a question over the reasons our troops are deployed immediately gets browbeaten for not 'supporting the troops'. HOGWASH; 100% pure.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude

Ok, listen freak;

1. Careful with your 'walk a mile in their shoes' bit. Many of us, including the man you berate, have done just that.

2. There is a vast difference in securing freedom for American citizens and securing interests for greedy puppet-masters.

You have leveled the typical Republican response. Anyone who raises a question over the reasons our troops are deployed immediately gets browbeaten for not 'supporting the troops'. HOGWASH; 100% pure.

i am walking in the shoes i talk of. i've served in iraq and afghanistan. im simply saying people should just start supporting the troops like they deserve. not meaning to rustle feathers. but people who serve have a sense of pride and to come home from a war zone knowing there country does'nt stand behind them isn't the greatest feeling. we like to beleive that we are making a difference. and thats what keeps us going.
    edited November -1
    quote:try taking a walk in a soldiers shoes and then come back and say they aint keeping your a*^ free
    Really.

Heard of gun control ?
    Patriot Act ?
    Know your Neighbor act ?
    National Health Care ?
    Cap and Trade ?

Sounds like they are not doing too good of a job.if they are protecting `my freedoms'.ehhh ?

No..what they are doing is just exactly what we did in the old days...vietnam era.
    We obeyed the orders of our masters...and came home to less freedom. We quit...just when we SHOULD HAVE STARTED FIGHTING FOR FREEDOMS right here at home.

im not disagreeing with that. my point of view is not on the politics side but on the troops side. i don't support BO and what current day leaders are looking to do with my rights, but do support anyone who will try and fight for it.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Really.

Heard of gun control ?
    Patriot Act ?
    Know your Neighbor act ?
    National Health Care ?
    Cap and Trade ?

im not disagreeing with that. my point of view is not on the politics side but on the troops side. i don't support BO and what current day leaders are looking to do with my rights, but do support anyone who will try and fight for it.

Careful fella, Bold words for such a Newbie[xx(] But Your not a newbie here are ya, why not post your thoughts under your normal alias instead of cowering behind a new name.[xx(]

Edit I commend you for your service, if you truly are serving, But why the mask here, Youll find more support for the troops from the people here than you will in Washington[}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IdahoRedneck
    Really.

Heard of gun control ?
    Patriot Act ?
    Know your Neighbor act ?
    National Health Care ?
    Cap and Trade ?

Careful fella, Bold words for such a Newbie[xx(] But Your not a newbie here are ya, why not post your thoughts under your normal alias instead of cowering behind a new name.[xx(]

Edit I commend you for your service, if you truly are serving, But why the mask here, Youll find more support for the troops from the people here than you will in Washington[}:)]

actually i am a newbie...dan.
    edited November -1
    quote:my point of view is not on the politics side but on the troops side

Sure.
    Typical response.
    Emotionally trigger a knee-jerk reaction from the masses...'we got to support the troops'.

Also a cynical, cold-blooded propaganda ploy...used by evil, corrupt men to arouse and solidify support for evil, corrupt purposes.

I bought into the 'fighting for American freedom' too...40-odd years ago. Never again will I be led in my thinking by such evil men.

Never again will I ask a young man to go to a war of agression against other countries.
    Never again.

I WILL demand that such a man prepare himself for war, however..a war that is long past due.
    A REAL war for freedom...right here on these shores. That war WILL be brought to you by your Masters...and the choice will be YOURS...individually.
    Support America, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights ;

Or support the Beast that lives in washington and state houses all across this land.
    For the first time in your life, you will stand as a free man...IF you make the right choice.
  • IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    quote:

actually i am a newbie...dan.

That right there tells me your Not, or you are very good with computers[xx(]

Edit and possibly Ive been roped into something to present a point[;)]
    edited November -1
    actually i am a newbie...dan.[/quote]

That right there tells me your Not, or you are very good with computers[xx(]

Edit and possibly Ive been roped into something to present a point[;)]
    [/quote]
    now your getting it
    edited November -1
    Easy fellas, let's be civil before pickenup locks this. I agree with the no draft policy. The war we are in (not counting the current war at home) is not our fight. We gave arms to Afgahn to fight the Ruskies and anyone who has read up on history knows that. My question, as indirect as it was, is how do we wake up the ignorant masses to this plight. Or as HB would say, let the masses go by the wayside.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steveaustin
    Easy fellas, let's be civil before pickenup locks this. I agree with the no draft policy. The war we are in (not counting the current war at home) is not our fight. We gave arms to Afgahn to fight the Ruskies and anyone who has read up on history knows that. My question, as indirect as it was, is how do we wake up the ignorant masses to this plight. Or as HB would say, let the masses go by the wayside.
    It is becoming quite apparent that it is not possible to wake up any 'mass' of the people.

With all that has gone before, in anti-constitutional and anti-liberty government actions, there should have long ago been an uprising.

Given that there was not and given the current escalating pace of the globalist-collectivists reaching for the end-goal, there is still no mass awakening, beyond displeasure at the 'Democrats' for what they are currently doing and a far lesser displeasure with 'some' Republicans.

Most are simply unable to see the forest due to the trees that they see in their immediate view.

The globalist-collectivist cabal has far too tight a lock on the consciousness and thought-process of the overall citizenry, through a variety of methods.

Think 'bread and circuses'...

I have opted to try to awaken one individual at a time and if any are actually reached, they will seek their own confirmation and information and ultimately, become 'force multipliers'.

Barring some major 'tipping-point' which is government generated, we as a nation are as frogs in heating water.

Even with that 'tipping-point', far to many would merely be part of the sea of lemmings, flowing wherever the general 'flow' direction took them.
    edited November -1
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Draft? Or selective service?Nothing wrong with serving your country.We have an aging standing Army of old men.We need new boots on the ground,not for invading other countries,but to keep from being invaded.I was drafted,and joined up before induction.If you live in this country,you need to support it.Israel,Germany,etc. all have mandatory govt service,of at least 2 yrs.Better in the military than on a street corner dealing drugs...cost a lot less money.[:o)]
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    little late...we have been invade by unknowns for many years without putting up any resistance...some day that mistake will overwhelm our union with no return
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude

Ok, listen freak;

i am walking in the shoes i talk of. i've served in iraq and afghanistan. im simply saying people should just start supporting the troops like they deserve. not meaning to rustle feathers. but people who serve have a sense of pride and to come home from a war zone knowing there country does'nt stand behind them isn't the greatest feeling. we like to beleive that we are making a difference. and thats what keeps us going.

huntfreak -

I honor you. I really do. You are my friend and not my enemy.

Please don't support our government blindly - because the government you serve is my enemy and not my friend.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have not been many times this country has not been fighting somewhere.
    As long as the industrial military complex that has been in power for many years continues to call the shots. Our beautiful young men and women are at risk.
    The draft as someone here pointed out only brings back elements of some of the lessons learned in Nam.
  • rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a couple of thoughts here.

Reinstate the draft? Some slightly different points:

CON: It's hard enough to train civilians to be soldiers when they want to be there; unwilling new soldiers are almost impossible to train with today's PC environment applied to BCT.

PRO: Walk across any university campus lately and tell me it wouldn't go a long way to straighten out these obnoxious little "Generation Me" rodents to serve a couple of years in uniform.

Support the troops? All eyewash and feel good hyperbole. When I got my first platoon nearly 30 years ago every one of my married Marines was getting food stamps. No one cared. It's better than that now but still not good. Pay is pretty good but TRICARE is a painful joke. Take a look at the VA hospitals. Even Priority 2's get turned away because they're overwhelmed. Concurrent receipt has yet to be approved after years of lobbying so you still can't get both your retirement and disability if you're less than 50% disabled. No one cares. It's all BS when it comes to supporting the troops. Easy to say but few mean it unless they've been there and done that.

Highball is dead on about our freedoms. From the first time I came back from overseas it became obvious to me that, while we were defending the Constitution against enemies of the foreign kind, the domestic variety was taking over the country. We fight for corporate profits and power for a totalitarian socialist elite. I kept serving to retirement more for the people I was serving with than for a nation that has been stolen from us.
    edited November -1
    Rawhide ;
    One day I asked myself ;
    Why would a government build better housing and provide more food for the garbage that sits on the back steps smoking dope then is provided men that are FIGHTING ???

Just one more 'little' sharp object stuck in my craw over the utterly corrupted slimebags in power.
    edited November -1
    Rawhide ;
    One day I asked myself ;
    Why would a government build better housing and provide more food for the garbage that sits on the back steps smoking dope then is provided men that are FIGHTING ???

Just one more 'little' sharp object stuck in my craw over the utterly corrupted slimebags in power.

Yeah, the dozens of those little sharp objects over the years have made me more than a little bit cynical and defensive but I still take heart when I look at the caliber of the kids doing the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. They're why I still think there's hope.
    edited November -1
    Yeah, rawhide...but I though most guys in the old days were pretty decent men.
    Yet coming back meant blending in with the steadily diminishing freedoms we all thought we were fighting for....
  • darkchyld316darkchyld316 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rawhide ;
    One day I asked myself ;

Ok, I typically do much more reading than posting, but this one right here I just felt the need to respond.

After being fairly recently discharged from the military, I feel this as a rather painfully true fact.

Due to my "non-marketable" training I received in the military, I was forced to take a new career step. Therefore, I am now a state corrections officer. I see everyday how not only the "garbage that sits on the back steps" is treated better than the men in uniform, but convicted rapists, murderers and child molesters are treated better in prison and have more rights than I ever did while in uniform. It is a sad and sickening thought.
    edited November -1
    Agreed, I never thought that this topic would get some real attention. Another wonder that weighs on my brain is why, why are they trying to make soldiers pay for thier own medical insurance. Have we slipped this far down hill? Supply an addict with a clean needle at no cost to him but it comes out of my wallet. Sometimes punchin out car windows is healthy.

side note: junk cars
    edited November -1
    Perhaps the reason is simple ?

A soldier released back into society by a corrupt government COULD be a threat to that government.
    Unless, of course, those decent men are so busy trying to keep themselves and their families alive they really don't have any TIME to think about the problem realistically
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Perhaps the reason is simple ?

A soldier released back into society by a corrupt government COULD be a threat to that government.
    Unless, of course, those decent men are so busy trying to keep themselves and their families alive they really don't have any TIME to think about the problem realistically

I think many are thinking about the problem realistically while trying to keep house and home together. I think there are a lot of us just abiding by the old axiom "the nail that sticks up gets hammered down" and keeping a low profile for familiy's sake. Doesn't mean the fire isn't burning. If it weren't, AR's, AK's, and ammo wouldn't be selling so well. Remember, Janet Napolitano was quite open about seeing vets as a threat to the regime. If she spent a bit more time worrying about the Islamic radicals operating in this country her time might be better spent.
  • victorxyzvictorxyz Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really.

Heard of gun control ?
    Patriot Act ?
    Know your Neighbor act ?
    National Health Care ?
    Cap and Trade ?

• NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For It496: 10 years or so ago, I would have disagreed with you. Now I am not so sure anymore. I am posting not to argue, but ask what your opinion concerning the evolution of my thought process. So that you understand where I am coming from, and hence my biases, let me say that I am a conservative (not a Republican) and my family is military and I am very pro-military. In order to teach government, I began to really get into the Constitution. When I started my studies, I believed in the draft. As I studied, I noted that the Founding Fathers created a federal not a national government. They typically opposed standing armies and were adamantly opposed to them in peace time. They limited the existence of an army to a call up of the militia chiefly to repel invasion although there were a few other reasons. Some of the Founders would have supported war for empire but would not have the troops and money to do so without state support. I cannot imagine the Founders countenancing war, and hence a draft for wars unless the U.S. was invaded or attacked. That made me question not only the Mexican-American War, but the Spanish American War, and especially W.W. I. In fact, one could question every war unless the U.S. was invaded and or faced immediate attack. Again, I am not stating that this is the correct position, I am weighing the arguments and coming to conclusions different than those I had before I studies the Constitution. Thanks for your response.