In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NRA & DC v. Heller

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
I contend that the NRA sold us down the river when they fought against Heller v. DC going to SCOTUS. A win is a win is a win and the DC law was so restrictive there's no way we could have lost.

quote:Originally posted by tr fox
quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
quote:Originally posted by storm6490
I don't carry an NRA card anymore after they kept the liberal cop on the board.

I'm a life member and I used to recruit for them but they sold us down the river on the DC case, fighting tooth-and-nail to keep it from getting to SCOTUS. I won't resign but I don't support them much, either.

There were at least 2 reasonable sounding reasons why the NRA didn't want the DC case to get before the Supreme Court and be the most important 2A supreme court case ever.

One, the NRA felt the case was presented as too broad and would not give us a narrow, specific decision. Which is what happened. Even though we gun people got a "win", it was an unsure, complicated and incomplete win.

Two, since the case was about DC, that meant that after the case was decided on, anyone could make a claim that the decision only applied to DC and other federal enclaves ( I believe DC is the only such federal enclave) and not to the states. Since DC is neither a state, county or city but instead is something unique that was created by Congress.

The anti-gun people are already looking into taking this position on the decision only applying to DC, so in that regard the NRA was correct.

And keep in mind that when the NRA say they couldn't stop the case from getting to court, they jumped into it and provided at least two lawyers, time, money and effort to try and win the case.

All the above can be check but of course that will not be good enough for some here.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NRA sold us out. Get used to it.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I contend that the NRA sold us down the river when they fought against Heller v. DC going to SCOTUS. A win is a win is a win and the DC law was so restrictive there's no way we could have lost.

Standard MO is for NRA to sell down the river/sell bill of goods. However, I think Heller turned out to be the NRA's wet dream. Hardly a win. It basically guaranteed the NRA's existence in perpetuity, or until we take back our republic. Bravo scotus[xx(], you moved us one step closer.[:)]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And keep in mind that when the NRA say they couldn't stop the case from getting to court, they jumped into it and provided at least two lawyers, time, money and effort to try and win the case.
    You "imply" that the NRA did something more than they actually did, once they found out they could not derail the case.

The ONLY thing they did, was file an amicus brief, THAT IS IT,
    the same as the Brady bunch, and everyone else.
    Other than that (and trying to get the case derailed, of course)
    they did NOTHING ELSE.

Mr. Levy (the person who financed this case) said....
    (quote)
    The N.R.A.'s interference in this process set us back and almost killed the case,
    (/quote)

Other "experts(?)" gave different reasons why the NRA didn't want the case heard.
    One of which was....
    With a decisive win, it might hurt the NRA's cash cow.
    It's not about the money.......is it? [xx(]
    Hmmmmmm.......
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1

quote:Originally posted by storm6490
    I don't carry an NRA card anymore after they kept the liberal cop on the board.

I'm a life member and I used to recruit for them but they sold us down the river on the DC case, fighting tooth-and-nail to keep it from getting to SCOTUS. I won't resign but I don't support them much, either.

There were at least 2 reasonable sounding reasons why the NRA didn't want the DC case to get before the Supreme Court and be the most important 2A supreme court case ever.

One, the NRA felt the case was presented as too broad and would not give us a narrow, specific decision. Which is what happened. Even though we gun people got a "win", it was an unsure, complicated and incomplete win.

Two, since the case was about DC, that meant that after the case was decided on, anyone could make a claim that the decision only applied to DC and other federal enclaves ( I believe DC is the only such federal enclave) and not to the states. Since DC is neither a state, county or city but instead is something unique that was created by Congress.

The anti-gun people are already looking into taking this position on the decision only applying to DC, so in that regard the NRA was correct.

All the above can be check but of course that will not be good enough for some here.

Henry, you have always seemed to me like you are better than those here with whom you usually side. But I'm sorry I must say that your above in red is just plain naive and foolish. The court came to within one vote of ruling that the second amendment IS NOT an individual right.

If that had happened, I am sure the liberals would have disarmed us by now. And the only reason it didn't happen is because a lot of people who believe in fighting within the system (people like me) over the years have done what we could to set the stage for winning in a case like this. That means over the years working to, for just one example, urge that as conservative as possibe judges be put on the bench, especially on the SCOTUS. Had there been just one more liberal judge judging this gun rights suit, we would have lost big time.

We might still have lost if the anti-gun crowd wins with their position that the ruling only applies to DC since DC is unique. That is what the NRA wanted to avoid having to face. Yet another supreme court cast about the same thing: the second amendment applying to individual citizens.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, and Henry, please be very, very careful about the way you post your thought about that lawsuit. You apparently referred to the decision as "a win,is a win, is a win." Most of the always negative NRA bashers here have on several occassions clearly stated that the SCOTUS decision in Heller vs DC was actually a LOSS for gun rights. Course those complainers always have their weird reasoning for the way they think, but if they notice you are disagreeing with them about whether or not the decision was a win or a loss, they just might get around to thining you are now their enemy. After all, if you don't totally agree with the anti-NRA complainers, then they usually consider you a traitor, turn coat, enemy to gun rights, etc.

So, you have been warned.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it was Twain who said, "People would worry a lot less about what other people think of them if they realized how seldom it happens."

While the NRA is not the best voice we have in lala land (Wash.) it is certainly the loudest. I'm still a life member, but I won't send them another nickel, ever.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think it was Twain who said, "People would worry a lot less about what other people think of them if they realized how seldom it happens."

While the NRA is not the best voice we have in lala land (Wash.) it is certainly the loudest. I'm still a life member, but I won't send them another nickel, ever.

You would be more intellectally honest to yourself if you looked into the situation more, made a final and hopefully correct choice, and either supported the NRA or got the hell out altogether.
  • Options
    edited November -1

You would be more intellectally honest to yourself if you looked into the situation more, made a final and hopefully correct choice, and either supported the NRA or got the hell out altogether.

You wouldn't know the first thing about honesty. "Intellectual"...pffft, or otherwise. Too liberal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf

You wouldn't know the first thing about honesty. "Intellectual"...pffft, or otherwise. Too liberal.

Think what you want. I do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another lie. If you could "think", you wouldn't hold the position on the NRA that you do. Either wake up, or go away.