In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger.380LCP

dozropdozrop Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
My son is a CHP officer in CA...he went to a police officers store and wanted to purchase a .380, one for himself and one for me. The clerk told him that only police officers could carry this Ruger .380 and it would be illegal for his dad to own. Is this true and for what reason? Thanks for any info possible!
Gary

Comments

• Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gary,

Smells of BS to me.

I am not a resident of Ca, but if I were, I would carry what I damn well please.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    To even have a question about whether a citizen can own/carry a particular brand of semi-auto handgun, is a sign of exactly how far astray from our roots this once free nation has strayed.

Such a post no longer causes any anger in me; it merely makes me sad to think of what has been lost from this precious Republic, both through unconstitutional legislation and through lack of citizen comprehension and retaliation...
  • Options
    COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dozrop
    My son is a CHP officer in CA...he went to a police officers store and wanted to purchase a .380, one for himself and one for me. The clerk told him that only police officers could carry this Ruger .380 and it would be illegal for his dad to own. Is this true and for what reason? Thanks for any info possible!
    Gary

Gary,

Did this particular .380 have one of the features on it (i.e. more than 10 rounds) such that it's patently illegal for a regular citizen in California to own? That may explain it.

My XD states clearly on the box "Illegal in California" due to the high capacity.

Can you give specific model #'s?

COB
  • Options
    dozropdozrop Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the .380 LCP...the clerk said that because there is no safety, is why it is illegal. It holds 6 in the mag and 1 in the barrel.
  • Options
    COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the .380 LCP...the clerk said that because there is no safety, is why it is illegal. It holds 6 in the mag and 1 in the barrel.

Dozrop,

Sorry but no safety is a reason the P.D.'s don't normally allow their members to carry a weapon model.

I do not know a valid reason the salesman made the statement. I believe it was unfounded without any evidence to the contrary. In short - BS.

COB
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COBmmcmss

Dozrop,

Sorry but no safety is a reason the P.D.'s don't normally allow their members to carry a weapon model.

I do not know a valid reason the salesman made the statement. I believe it was unfounded without any evidence to the contrary. In short - BS.

COB

That model is not on the "safe handgun list" and cannot be sold by a dealer to the public. They can be transferred in a private party transfer though. There is no law against ownership of that model
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still reaks of BS
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Still reaks of BS
    I think they need to worry about illegal immigrants rather than my gun holding too many rounds[:(!]