In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Change of Address FID in NJ Process?

JeroldJerold Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
I was just reading some FID info and I'm not sure if I understand.

If I have an FID that was issued in the town that I live in and then move to another town it sounds like I need to reapply for another FID in the new town... Is this true or do they just issue a new FID with a change of address?

I can't imagine having to go thru the waiting period again just because you moved to another town. You've already been fingerprinted and the state police and the ?FBI background checks have already been done once.

Legally, are you required to reapply for a new FID if you move and own fireams that were purchased with your FID and permits from your old town?

Comments

• Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, you just go to the Police department and ask for the form for a change of address on the FID. You show proof of identity, they issue a FID for the town you now live in. You are not re-applying.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the town pd
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You mean there's a state worse than Hellinois for anticonstitutional restricions other than Kalifornia.

Here we have a FOID(Firearms Owners Identification)card but don't need to "renew" when one moves. The secretary of state when one moves we must notify.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    You mean there's a state worse than Hellinois for anticonstitutional restricions other than Kalifornia.

Here we have a FOID(Firearms Owners Identification)card but don't need to "renew" when one moves. The secretary of state when one moves we must notify.

In the northeast NY NJ and Mass. We have our own problems with Fed State and even local fife-domes of anti gun.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The address on your FID has to match govm't photo ID, such as your driver's license. Go to your new PD, get the same general application and check the box for change of address. They will contact towns where you lived in the past and possibly have you fill out a 212 (state name search) form which costs $18. After checking you out, they should issue you a new card in a month or more depending on the town. Since the election, towns are backed up with applications thanks to our new president.