In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NBC nightly news...again

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
Well another shooting. Makes no difference the individual was mentally unstable the event still registers with the public as man opens fire with two automatic pistols.
Every time something like this happens another brick is taken from our foundation.

Any ideas on how to stop this or lessen the frequency.?

This is not a question of magazine capacity, hand grip, barrel length,
rate of fire etc etc. This concerns overall level of society.

I fear it will not be a question of legal right of gun ownership but rather are we as a society up to the responsibility level offered by the right?

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Murders,and murderers are a result of the human condition.

Those crimes will occur in the absence of gun laws...they will occur with moderate gun laws...they will occur with total gun bans.

Rwandans murdered ONE MILLION CITIZENS in about 8 weeks...mostly with machetes.

So what exactly IS your point ?
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is central to the topic of gun rights.
    I recall as a young person, many years ago, no one questioned
    gun ownership. You could buy anti-tank rifles in the back of a magazine.
    At 14 years old I bought 500 '06 black tip rounds...mail order.
    There were politicians, there were guns...
    there were mentally unstable people but you rarely heard of the
    events which are weekly events now. These events are not in proportion to the population.
    I am concerned as a society we are not living up to the responsibility
    of the 2nd amendment.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    You are right we are not living up to our responsiblity to the 2nd amendment, or the bill of rights in general.. we allow the government to curtail our rights based on illogical paranoia and even more sordid motivations..

There are over 300,000,000 people in this country, there are on average 15,000 murders each year... If that isnt proportional in your book I dont know what is.. .00005 percent of the population actively murder each year with guns, if you assume each murderer kills only one person...

On the other hand guns are annually used on average of 1.5 to 2 million times a year by the law abiding citizens to protect themselves and others from harm. they use guns to prevent animal maulings, Animal damage to propery, rape, murder, robbery, assault, and any mixture of those horrible things that seemingly unarmed victims are easy targets for..

I think you are injecting your personal emotions into it... Drugs and the loss of morality in this country account for the vast majority of violent crime... So, if you want to blame something, blame the lack of border control, drug laws that create a nitch for a lucrative black market, and the lack of honor of your fellow man, and mayhap yourself as well...

takeing away the individual right to self protection in its many capacities is never the solution. Though it may be touted as such by power hungry statists who so blindly overlook their own apalling failings.

In my opinion tax paying people, we the people, are handicapped enough by gun laws. No doubt in more then a few cases fatally so.

Error corrected thanks to Red. Thanks Red..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I am concerned as a society we are not living up to the responsibility
    of the 2nd amendment.

I am sorry...you simply do not get to accuse ME...'SOCIETY'....of the mis-deeds of the few.
    NOR do you get to curtail MY Rights...simply because you live in fear of your fellow man, and worry about your ability to handle an incidence of violence in your proximity.

Sorry about that, skippy.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:You are right we are not living up to our responsiblity to the 2nd amendment, or the bill of rights in general.. we allow the government to curtail our rights based on illogical paranoia and even more sordid motivations..

There are over 300,000,000 people in this country, there are on average 1,500 murders each year... If that isnt proportional in your book I dont know what is.. .000005 percent of the population actively murder each year, if you assume each murderer kills only one person...

On the other hand guns are annually used on average of 1.5 to 2 million times a year by the law abiding citizens to protect themselves and others from harm. they use guns to prevent animal maulings, Animal damage to propery, rape, murder, robbery, assault, and any mixture of those horrible things that seemingly unarmed victims are easy targets for..

I think you are injecting your personal emotions into it... Drugs and the loss of morality in this country account for the vast majority of violent crime... So, if you want to blame something, blame the lack of border control, drug laws that create a nitch for a lucrative black market, and the lack of honor of your fellow man, and mayhap yourself as well...

takeing away the individual right to self protection in its many capacities is never the solution. Though it may be touted as such by power hungry statists who so blindly overlook their own apalling failings.

In my opinion tax paying people, we the people, are handicapped enough by gun laws, no doubt in more then a few cases fatally so.

Wow. BIG +1

quote:I am sorry...you simply do not get to accuse ME...'SOCIETY'....of the mis-deeds of the few.
    NOR do you get to curtail MY Rights...simply because you live in fear of your fellow man, and worry about your ability to handle an incidence of violence in your proximity.

Another +1
  • Options
    RedoubtableRedoubtable Member Posts: 69
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    There are over 300,000,000 people in this country, there are on average 1,500 murders by gun each year...

You are off by about a factor of ten for the number of homicides per year. There are roughly 16,000 homicides per year and about 70% of those were committed with firearms (and about 75% of those firearms are handguns). Seventy percent of sixteen thousand is roughly 11,000.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Redoubtable
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    There are over 300,000,000 people in this country, there are on average 1,500 murders by gun each year...

You are off by about a factor of ten for the number of homicides per year. There are roughly 16,000 homicides per year and about 70% of those were committed with firearms (and about 75% of those firearms are handguns). Seventy percent of sixteen thousand is roughly 11,000.

How many of those were gang members shooting other gang members over territorial disputes etc.?
  • Options
    RedoubtableRedoubtable Member Posts: 69
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    How many of those were gang members shooting other gang members over territorial disputes etc.?
    Exactly what are you trying to say or suggest? I'll not put words in your mouth so I will ask you to explain what you meant.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly what are you trying to say or suggest? I'll not put words in your mouth so I will ask you to explain what you meant.

I agree with your figures. At least according to the FBI, for the year 2008.

I am simply saying, out of those figures, how many of those firearms were used in an ILLEGAL manner to begin with. Drug dealers, gang members killing each other, etc. Used by those who would NOT adhere to ANY laws.

Is that sufficient?
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1

I agree with your figures. At least according to the FBI, for the year 2008.

I am simply saying, out of those figures, how many of those firearms were used in an ILLEGAL manner to begin with. Drug dealers, gang members killing each other, etc. Used by those who would NOT adhere to ANY laws.

Is that sufficient?
    Let us go one step further and ask if this were the 'ideal' world with absolutely no restrictions on the RTKABA's whould the bangers be using the semi-autos (properly illegally obtained, as gun laws do not stop them), or there full autos (legally obtained)?? And how many MORE of them and others (collateral damage) would be shot???
    Point being some limits need to be set.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Point being some limits need to be set

The limits WOULD be set.

They would be set by the ELIMINATION of the scum that drive thru neighborhoods shooting the place up.

But...noooo...YOU, Jim, want to restrict DECENT citizens...simply becuase you do not have the will to stop CRIMINALS.
    EASIER to control decent CITIZENS...ehhh...Jim ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote:Point being some limits need to be set

The limits WOULD be set.

They would be set by the ELIMINATION of the scum that drive thru neighborhoods shooting the place up.

But...noooo...YOU, Jim, want to restrict DECENT citizens...simply becuase you do not have the will to stop CRIMINALS.
    EASIER to control decent CITIZENS...ehhh...Jim ?
    And HB, HOW would they (scum) be eliminated, especially if they have Mini-guns, RPG'S, Ma Deuces, or even artillery??? Who will eliminate them, you???
    Try and look at the 'real' side once in a while (even if it hurts[;)]) like the rest of us!!!
  • Options
    dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to butt in here HB.

quote:if they have Mini-guns, RPG'S, Ma Deuces, or even artillery
    So would everyone else Jim. Gangbangers are cowards. If they knew that someone else was just as heavily armed as they are do you actually think they will continue their violence? Common sense says no. I would be interested to see in those statistics how many "victims" were also armed. I'll bet the number is low. Gangbangers are cowards that prey on the weak, and defenseless. They are defenseless because the "law" makes them that way. An unConstitutional law at that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dthhal
    Sorry to butt in here HB.

quote:if they have Mini-guns, RPG'S, Ma Deuces, or even artillery
    So would everyone else Jim. Gangbangers are cowards. If they knew that someone else was just as heavily armed as they are do you actually think they will continue their violence? Common sense says no. I would be interested to see in those statistics how many "victims" were also armed. I'll bet the number is low. Gangbangers are cowards that prey on the weak, and defenseless. They are defenseless because the "law" makes them that way. An unConstitutional law at that.
    No 'everyone' would not be armed that well, no more than they are armed as well as the bangers are now. And few' if any would have the money or inclination, to arm themselves that well in the real world. I guess to many people here just do not understand the 'nature of man'.[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, Jim...I would eliminate the gang bangers.

Just as the settlers eliminated the wolves and the bears...if the bangers weren't protected by people like you...LEOs..they would cease to breath ...IN SHORT ORDER !!
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Yeah, Jim...I would eliminate the gang bangers.

Just as the settlers eliminated the wolves and the bears...if the bangers weren't protected by people like you...LEOs..they would cease to breath ...IN SHORT ORDER !!

Well once again, HB, I wish you well in that endeavor. As I said, I too would like the world be this 'ideal' place you want it to be, but I am a realist, not an idealist!!!
    Good luck and Gods' speed!!!
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    I noticed shortly after a certain someone was elected to a certain political position that even the local news(s) was flooded with "gun crimes" Every anything dealing with a firearm was on the news. They never(that I recall) ran a "police charge local man with illegal posession of a firearm" story before. Jacked up huh.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CbtEngr01
    I noticed shortly after a certain someone was elected to a certain political position that even the local news(s) was flooded with "gun crimes" Every anything dealing with a firearm was on the news. They never(that I recall) ran a "police charge local man with illegal posession of a firearm" story before. Jacked up huh.

Can you say 12B4S[^], or I guess the MOS is 18C now![;)]
    This is the stuff the progressives do, they will stop at nothing to get their way! We are fighting an up hill battle, but we are FIGHTING!!!!
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't matter if there was never such a thing as a gun. Whatever the choice would be for self-protection and self-preservation, THAT would become the new target.

Kinda like "Big Knives" in Great Britain.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cccooper
    Wouldn't matter if there was never such a thing as a gun. Whatever the choice would be for self-protection and self-preservation, THAT would become the new target.

Kinda like "Big Knives" in Great Britain.

Those who are armed have the power!!! Simple as that. The progressives can't have 'control' if we are armed, so they MUST disarm us. History seems to repeat dose it not????
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaegermister

Any ideas on how to stop this or lessen the frequency.?

Yeah: more guns = less crime.