In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How to ship Luger to a C&R holder ?

cabinetcabinet Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
I live in NJ and hold a Firearms ID. I sold a 1936 Luger to a C&R holder in Kentucky. I know UPS (least in NJ) requires overnight shipment ONLY to a FFL holder. Now ... is a C&R really a FFL 03 Liscense and recognized as a FFL for shipping purposes ? And can I, as a non-FFL, ship ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    There's the rub: Although ATF says your Luger is a C&R firearm, you can not ship it through USPS. It must be shipped through a private carrier.

Now, UPS and FedEx policies require that you ship a handgun to an FFL dealer and do not recognize a C&R licensee as a dealer. So, regardless of its C&R status, you need to ship it to an FFL dealer via overnight shipping.

Sucks, doesn't it?
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    There's the rub: Although ATF says your Luger is a C&R firearm, you can not ship it through USPS. It must be shipped through a private carrier.

Now, UPS and FedEx policies require that you ship a handgun to an FFL dealer and do not recognize a C&R licensee as a dealer. So, regardless of its C&R status, you need to ship it to an FFL dealer via overnight shipping.

Sucks, doesn't it?

Neither FedEx nor UPS require shipping to a dealer, just to a licensee. Shipping a C&R firearm to a C&R FFL holder is both legal and allowed by their tariffs.

You may have run into some clerks that did not understand their own company's policy.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the gun is over 50 years old it is classified as a Curio or Relic item. The BATF has licensed the C&R holder as a FFL for these items so yes there should be no issue in sending.
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Postal Worker at My Post Office had Me disable the Pistol(remove Slide) and fill out a Statement that stated that the Pistol cannot be made to fire in it's present condition and then I was able to send it through the U.S.Mail.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by e3mrk
    The Postal Worker at My Post Office had Me disable the Pistol(remove Slide) and fill out a Statement that stated that the Pistol cannot be made to fire in it's present condition and then I was able to send it through the U.S.Mail.

Sure, you can do that if you want to commit a FELONY. The receiver is the firearm and only dealers and manufacturers can ship them through USPS. You can ship a longarm but NOT a handgun or the receiver through USPS.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh those pesky postal workers are at it again!