In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

laws question

MKM1986MKM1986 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I am writing a research paper for my college english class about gun control laws. I'm trying to prove that strict laws infringe on Constitutional rights. I am also trying to prove that with out guns crime will rise. Does anyone know any websites or articles that will help me?

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,409 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Well for the first one just read the second amendment. When you get to the part where it says "shall not be infringed" you will see that ANY laws restricting arms infringe on constitutional rights.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Well for the first one just read the second amendment. When you get to the part where it says "shall not be infringed" you will see that ANY laws restricting arms infringe on constitutional rights.

What he said.

since you are doing that for a project, I believe it would be a safe bet that your teacher will point out the "a well regulated militia" part and say that part is where the gun control laws draw their authority from. My suggestion to you is to look into the letters that were sent between the framers as well as what that (Well regulated) part ment in the context of the day. Unless I am mistaken the "well regulated" part in the context of the day meant the same as "well trained" or "well drilled" or "well prepared for service" or "well practiced" would in today's language. that way if and when you teacher challenges you with that part you can come back with concrete evidence to rebuke him/her.
  • Options
    dfassbendersrdfassbendersr Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be better to head off any rebuttal by including your researched translation in the body of the text. Here's an interesting tidbit of info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyoLuTjguJA&feature=related
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MKM1986
    I am writing a research paper for my college english class about gun control laws. I'm trying to prove that strict laws infringe on Constitutional rights. I am also trying to prove that with out guns crime will rise. Does anyone know any websites or articles that will help me?

To answer your question - take a look at

http://www.guncite.com/

and then follow the links/references cited. That'll get you started in the right direction.
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wrote a paper about the same in college about 20 years ago. Started off with the definition of Tyrant. Then Tyranny. Then went back in time to the 1930's and wrote about Austria pre and post Hitler. Made the paper rather lengthy, but it takes the listener by the hand and makes them eventually arrive at your conclusions. Some of the papers written at the 1st Continental Congress discuss the RTKABA at length. Also, take a look at the history of English Common Law. Prior to the Constitution being adopted, many States had their own State Constitutions. The RTKABA is not a new thought or idea. Been around for ages.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is so much out there its hard to tell you where to start. The NRA National Rifle Association or its ILA affiliate has lots of data on your subject area. Go to the web site for details.
    www.nra.org