In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

California State Assembly passes Open Carry Ban

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm following this as close as I can.

It appears Assembly member Soldanas Bill AB 1934 has passed the State Assembly and its on it's way to its next step, possibly the Appropriations Committee.

This Bill bans "unloaded open carry" in California. There are a variety of specifics in this Bill, but now we may be losing this right to open carry unloaded in most all public places. And yes, "loaded open carry" is already banned.

It appears to exclude hunting, club/range/target shooting and a few other areas but pretty much bans most all other public situations for "the average" citizen. I'm still reading through this thing.

My only hope for now is that Governor Schwarzenegger will Veto this. I somehow doubt he will though.

Comments

• RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    you never had any rights here in CA.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont bet on Arnold to veto he is married into the Kennedy klan.
  • freedomfighterfreedomfighter Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The infiltrators would ban open carry and violate the law of the land in order to increase their control. They would also fail to follow the law regarding provision of competent mental health care, California health and safety code 1370.4

The only way to protect gun rights is to stop extreme gun violence by offering competent mental health care.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=434277

This is not about testing prior to permitting, this is about curing mental problems. Lord knows Californians have more than their share.
  • zacklazackla Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn anybody in AZ want a old man that is tired of ca. and the dumb people here
  • 45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hwile I too disgusted with this bill and it's passage, I have to wonder, except for the "look what I can do" aspect of this, What good is carrying and unloaded gun in the first place? Your only looking for trouble. Now were this a ban on loaded open carry I would be a little more understanding. But as stated already, that is allready law here. I just don't see the point of getting up set about not being able to carry,in the open, an unloaded gun.
  • floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45long
    Hwile I too disgusted with this bill and it's passage, I have to wonder, except for the "look what I can do" aspect of this, What good is carrying and unloaded gun in the first place? Your only looking for trouble. Now were this a ban on loaded open carry I would be a little more understanding. But as stated already, that is allready law here. I just don't see the point of getting up set about not being able to carry,in the open, an unloaded gun.

Because now you will not be able to carry a gun anywhere in public (other than very specific/limited places listed like gun ranges, hunting and places of your business/work) anymore. This includes unincorporated/beyond city limit areas, hiking or fishing in the Sierras where you may run into Bear (as I do, weeee!) among other places you may want to exercise your Constitutional rights.

Also, carrying an "unloaded gun" means having the magazine out of and detached from the gun, but still on your hip ready to load in a moments notice. This isn't like carrying an "unloaded gun" with no ammo at all just to look cool or intimidate people, that would be really stupid.

Some of us like to carry for protection, real honest to God protection. If you've never been in that kind of situation, you wouldn't understand. But if you have, you may not see it as "looking for trouble". The only reason it's out in the open, is because it's illegal to carry a concealed gun without a CCW. And by the way, a CCW is very difficult and expensive to obtain here in California.
    edited November -1
    Hwile I too disgusted with this bill and it's passage, I have to wonder, except for the "look what I can do" aspect of this, What good is carrying and unloaded gun in the first place? Your only looking for trouble.

Just as well as carrying loaded weapon, concealed or not. Congratulations, join the ranks of anti-gunners!
    edited November -1
    Ok. Floor, Rock, First, I am NOT in any way, an Anti-gunner. And to assume so is rediculous. I under what your talking about Floor. But the guy that they proned out for carrying his Unloaded gun, did NOT have any ammunition on him. He was just walking around with an empty gun on his hip. A complete moron. As for carrying an emtpy gun with ammo in another pocket... You might want to check that. I would be interested ion seeing that part of the law. I say this because even if your in your car with the gun locked in a case. The ammo can not be stored with the firearm. It is considered a concealed firearm.

Rock, Just because I don't happen to have the same opinion as you dosen't mean I am anti anything. So please........Ok?
    edited November -1
    Ok. Floor, Rock, First, I am NOT in any way, an Anti-gunner. And to assume so is rediculous. I under what your talking about Floor. But the guy that they proned out for carrying his Unloaded gun, did NOT have any ammunition on him. He was just walking around with an empty gun on his hip. A complete moron. As for carrying an emtpy gun with ammo in another pocket... You might want to check that. I would be interested ion seeing that part of the law. I say this because even if your in your car with the gun locked in a case. The ammo can not be stored with the firearm. It is considered a concealed firearm.

Rock, Just because I don't happen to have the same opinion as you dosen't mean I am anti anything. So please........Ok?

Sorry Bro, wasn't trying to give you a hard time. Just my opinion.

No worries.
    edited November -1

you are missing the point.
    edited November -1
    t because I don't happen to have the same opinion as you dosen't mean I am anti anything. So please........Ok?

Yeah, it does.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The anti-gunners among us are fimly convinced that we are ALL stupid.

They KEEP insisting that 'Shall Not Be Infringed' is an OPINION..instead of a straight up, in your face ORDER to governments.

Luckily, they cannot fool all the people, all the time...try as they might.....
    edited November -1
    Highball,, I didn't say anything of the sort. And Rock I haven't missed any point. The truth is the would be marter,(sp?), did nothing to promote anything except how stupid he was. He accomplished nothing except to get this bill passed. And when you COULD carry an unloaded firearm in the open, it didn't mean you could put the ammo for it in the other pocket. Even if it did, this brain trust didn't even have any on him. He accomplished nothing. Execpt, as I said, to give birth to this new law. As if the gun grabbing law makers in this state need another excuse to write another anti-gun law.
    edited November -1
    Currently, under California law, "unloaded carry" means having the gun in a holster in plain view, with no ammunition in or attached to the gun itself and does allow you to carry the loaded magazine on your hip or attached to the holster in plain view at the same time.

I just don't understand how any State can legally remove any Constitutional Right within their State at all from a legal law abiding U.S. citizen with no prior conviction/s.

If this Bill (AB 1934) passes, you basically lose your Second Amendment as soon as you walk out your door (unless you're using it for the "specifically noted" uses). Unblanking-real!

Even though I'm in California, I can't believe it.
    edited November -1
    Floor,, I understand your frustration. I too live in this screwed up state. If this idiot hadn't made it a point to go all martyer then this would have never happened. Now that it has, and it will be signed, getting it back will be near impossible. I hope that he is proud of his accomplishment. Personally, I would love to kick his butt snf chuck him off the golden gate. But thats just me.
    edited November -1
    quote: I too live in this screwed up state. If this idiot hadn't made it a point to go all martyer then this would have never happened. Now that

So blame the victim some more for your own lack of testicular fortitude to support and defend him...whilst he attempts to gain something back that you have freely given away.

Sounds like a plan to me.
    edited November -1
    He didn't gain anything Highball. Except to get that law passed. He didn't think one inch past his own ego. He didn't consider what the consequences of his actions be or the effect they would have on the rest of the state. All he wanted was his 15 minutes of fame and the pleasure of saying "Ohhhh Look at me Look at me". Oh and HB,, This guy was no victim. No more than a suicide is a victim. He did this to himself and the rest of us. WE are the victims here. Not him. And as for supporting him. Support him in what? He did nothing to support. He accomplished nothing to support. He didn't even announce he was going to do it. He just did it to see what would happen. Well guess what,, he found out. And Highball,, I gave Nothing away. This state was screwed up way before I moved back to it. If I could I would leave. But this is where the work is so this is where I stay. I don't have the luxurey of being able to just pack up and go when the political climate sucks.

But hey if you think he actually accomplished something productive,,please enlighten me. What was his great victory?
    edited November -1
    He got you more restrictions. A good thing.

Perhaps there will reach a point where all you big brave men will decide enough is enough...that you will resist.

I pray for a total gun ban...EVERY DAY.

I am so VERY sick of you belly crawlers announcing to the world all about how you live in a 'free country'.

ONLY from the supine position can that claim be made...and I feel a scalding contempt of those saying it every time I hear it.
    edited November -1
    He didn't get me anything. And once again you avoid the question with insults. What did this moron accomplish for the good of gun rights? Your none answer does well at answering the question. He DID NOTHING.

Your insults mean nothing by the way. I haven't heard you talk about what YOU have done to seperrate yourself from the "belly crawlers". Except of course to pound away on your key board and insult others that aren't lock step with you and worship at the feet on the great Highball. You preach about the constitution and how you hold it high above all other documents. And how if anyone doesn't respect it then they are worse than scum. Ok. I agree with you. I too hold that document in high regard. Second only to the bible. And with that said I accuse you sir of being a hypocrit. Why? Because anyone who dares utter a different opinion than yours is some "belly crawler" You have no time for desenting opinion. No time for freedom of choice, or opinion. No Patience for freedom of speech if it differs from yours. You accuse without proof. Condem others without evidence that is not of you own making. Were you a ruler, you would be just another petty dictator full of your own world view and woe to those who dare to disagree.

Well sir, while I agree with some of your thoughts, I am an American. I have my own mind and do not need you to tell me what your opinion is of my own freedom of thought or expression. I the right to freely express myself. I have the right to Keep and bare arms. I have the right to be safe in my home. And I have no intention of giving up those rights or any of the others for anyone. Not you and not the government. And your petty little insults and proclamations are growing very tiresome. But long live Lord Highball as we all need something to laugh at from time to time.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another one gets the lock.