In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL Records

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
Since there is not supposed to be any record kept of Firearms sales by the Government, what happens to the books that FFL Dealers use?
What happens if they go out of business or mess up on somethng.

Im just curious.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    heh heh...

Are you serious or are you being sarcastic?

If you are serious, those records are given to the fuds when the ffl goes OUT of business. They are also open to be viewed by the feds any ol' time they choose.

There is no such thing as "no record", OTHER than a PRIVATE face to face sale.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Dealers must keep records for 20 years, then can be destroyed. If they stop being a FFL for whatever reason, whatever records aren't 20+ years old (and destroyed if you have a good dealer) are boxed up and sent to an ATFE warehouse in Atlanta.

quote:Originally posted by freemind
    heh heh...

Are you serious or are you being sarcastic?

If you are serious, those records are given to the fuds when the ffl goes OUT of business. They are also open to be viewed by the feds any ol' time they choose.

There is no such thing as "no record", OTHER than a PRIVATE face to face sale.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats what I thought.

What actually got me to thinking was a bit different topic.

A friend has told me that he recieved a letter from the Treasury Dept telling him not to be selling any more guns without a license or risk jail and fines.
    1) how would they know he was selling
    2) Since he is mostly a collector, shouldnt he be able to buy and sell a few guns?
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They watch gun show activities, or at least used to. Know of a couple of guys who got busted several years back in the St. Louis area. I am a collector with a C&R Liscense and buy mostly. Sell some guns occasionaly. As long as you are not in the business of selling guns, no problem. Problem is your opinion of what a business is and the ATF's may not agree. I keep good records and have no problem proving that I am not making a profit at this and am not in the business.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    do they literally mean you cant make a profit of just not make money in general? If you buy a gun worth 100 for 5 and decide not to keep it, youd have to make a profit on that one atleast
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember when you thought the Gov was your friend?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm hoping all FFL dealers take the iniative and destroy their records when this problem reaches the boiling point.