In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2011 Tax Form Gun Registration

45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
My wife and I were talking about this yesterday. I told her that I am not listing anything regarding my firearms or ammunition. She is in complete agreement. And even though she doesn't like to think about it, she knows that should the time come, I am won't go to jail.

My question though, how many will provide that list to the brown shirts just to avoid complications?? I think it was estimated that less than 5% in California registered their AR's when told to do so. No effort was put into enforceing the law and arresting those who did not register. I wonder if this will go the same way? Or will they come out in force within the following year or so to round up the non-compliant ones on "Tax Evasion" charges? It will take time to compare the tax records with the other forms of registration currently in use. But once that is done..............

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Options
    kerkkerk Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either I'm a dummy, or this post is a dummy. I haven't heard anything about this, and doing a search of '2011 Tax Form Gun Registration', nothing comes up.

Where did you hear this from?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My tax person told me about it this year. But she couldn't remember the name of it. I hope she's wrong. I haven't seen anything either. That was one of the reasons I posted. If it's true, then someone here will know. If it's not, then that will come out too.

And if it is true, I'm not listing anything I own. Even the LEO'S here at work are talking about it.

And the name I gave it isn't the name of the bill as far as I know. I just called it what it is.
  • Options
    kerkkerk Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still, I would think a search with those words would bring up something. It could be the result of an email rumor, such as the one that keeps popping up about an old senate bill 2099, which is dead ( http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/taxreturns.asp ), and should remain dead as long as we clean the libs from congress in November. Although, getting rid of Reid may now be difficult since he now has NRA buddies.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This rumor was around last year. Who knows it could be another tax method for the privilege of gun ownership.
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SB-2099 was presented in Feb. 2000 and had those requirements in the text but I don't think it ever made it into law. When the Democrats got control of the House and Senate Ben Rush saw the opening for renewing the legislation and introduced the `Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009', Or H.R. 45 if you need a bill number. Mr. RUSH introduced the bill January 6, 2009; and it was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary. To my knowledge it's still there waiting for Schumer to pull it out in an after hours session and cram it through with a voice vote like he did with the Veterans Disarmament Bill.

I can only assume you're aware of the gun control measures hidden away in the Cap and Tax Bill passed by the House. That may be what your tax guy is alluding to but us peons won't know for sure what the exact provisions are until 3 months after it's law.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wagon Wheel
    To my knowledge it's still there waiting for Schumer to pull it out in an after hours session and cram it through with a voice vote like he did with the Veterans Disarmament Bill.

I can only assume you're aware of the gun control measures hidden away in the Cap and Tax Bill passed by the House. That may be what your tax guy is alluding to but us peons won't know for sure what the exact provisions are until 3 months after it's law.

Well WW, that is what passes for "representation" in the modern culture. Ain't it grand? The public continues snoring while the dictatorship takes form. Understandably so, since nowhere in history is there a precedent for such, to look to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The officers here have said that IF this is true, they aren't listing anything. I thinkit is interesting though that the non-compliant most likely will NOT be charged with a firearms crime but with tax evasion for failing to pay the gun tax. And of course that would require that said firearm be taken in as evidence against you.

I have no doubt that if this goes through as planned, there will be gun fire.

"Mr. Smith, According to our records, you did not pay taxs as required on your 2010 forms under firearms. We have cross checked with the ATF and they show that you have XXX of firearms in your possesion. We have a warrent to search your home. Step aside please."
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A scary scenario...
    quote:Originally posted by 45long
    The officers here have said that IF this is true, they aren't listing anything. I thinkit is interesting though that the non-compliant most likely will NOT be charged with a firearms crime but with tax evasion for failing to pay the gun tax. And of course that would require that said firearm be taken in as evidence against you.

I have no doubt that if this goes through as planned, there will be gun fire.

"Mr. Smith, According to our records, you did not pay taxs as required on your 2010 forms under firearms. We have cross checked with the ATF and they show that you have XXX of firearms in your possesion. We have a warrent to search your home. Step aside please."