In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun Laws

fredericoagentfredericoagent Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I'm curious to see what everyone thinks should happen with guns and laws. Obveously guns are and will remain to be a large part of our history. However with guns in the hands of wrong people, etc, what should be done? Personally the guns with the fingerprint crap, no way. Its a very hard topic though, I am just curious to see what people think.
Thanks

S.K.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Im sure this may be in the wrong forum , if so im sorry.

In the US I understand that to own a Gun you require a Gun license. US passport holders and Green cards can get gun licenses.

Does anyone know if temporary workers/students etc on a permit can get a gun permit ?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Love the site and all the knowledge exhibited here.

Can anyone tell me which state(s) is it legal to buy a gun from a private party without registration?

Regards -
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you own guns, for what ever reason, and are not interested in Fighting for the 2nd Amendment and the Citizens Right to own and Possess guns, you should consider this. Each owner of Guns and ammunition has the Right According to the Constitution to Own and Possess these guns. However, during this last Election we got some of the MOST RADICAL Polititian's in America who are interested only in their own Power Base and not in America or your Constitutional Rights. In addition, if Hillary is Elected President along with more of the same, you are going to loose the Right to Own guns of any kind because most of these folks are Lawyers and they will find a way to relieve you of the responsibility of owning a gun, ANY GUN. If you doubt this can happen, look at New York and the Sullivan Law, you can figure the future from there.
    Your Response should be, MUST BE!; "YOU CAN HAVE MY GUN WHEN YOU TAKE IT FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS"!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    What is a 'gun permit' and a 'gun license'?

Wait for a few days and there will likely be no such thing as an alien or a 'green card', we will all be one happy union of north americans.[xx(]

Of course if that happens, you will have a front row seat to the real reason that this Constitutional Republic ensured that its citizens had the RIGHT to keep and bear arms.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By gun permit/license I meant the ability to own a gun in the United States.

Since you cannot just walk into a shop and get a gun as easily as you get your bagels from Walmart im guessing a permit/license of some kind is required to state you have the right to own a firearm.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some states require licences, most do not. You would have to check the laws of the state in which you are studying/working.

There is no national permit or license in the United States. We used to have one, but the Supreme Court has taken that away in two recent rulings. Individual states now have the authority to license and regulate pretty much as they wish.

According to the link:

http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

'Green-card holders and immigrant aliens who do not yet have their green card are both okay under federal law, although many people (including gun dealers, law enforcement officers, etc.) are not aware of the distinction or the hunting license exception, and erroneously think that either you have a green card, or you can't have guns.

Also, non-citizen cannot purchase a firearm from a federally licensed firearms dealer unless they have been a resident of their state for 90 days. So, no, tourists on short visits cannot walk into guns stores to get "protection" during their trip. Sorry. (I've been asked that multiple times.)'

I started going through Title 18, USC Chapter 44, Section 922, part (y)(2), but it is a fairly dry (and, IMO, a very disturbing) read.

If I were you, I'd read through it, copy and print the portion that applies to you and bring it with you when you purchase.

On the other hand you could answer a classified ad in your local newspaper, and see how it works out.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    Some states require licences, most do not. You would have to check the laws of the state in which you are studying/working.

There is no national permit or license in the United States. We used to have one, but the Supreme Court has taken that away in two recent rulings. Individual states now have the authority to license and regulate pretty much as they wish.

According to the link:

'Green-card holders and immigrant aliens who do not yet have their green card are both okay under federal law, although many people (including gun dealers, law enforcement officers, etc.) are not aware of the distinction or the hunting license exception, and erroneously think that either you have a green card, or you can't have guns.

Also, non-citizen cannot purchase a firearm from a federally licensed firearms dealer unless they have been a resident of their state for 90 days. So, no, tourists on short visits cannot walk into guns stores to get "protection" during their trip. Sorry. (I've been asked that multiple times.)'

I started going through Title 18, USC Chapter 44, Section 922, part (y)(2), but it is a fairly dry (and, IMO, a very disturbing) read.

If I were you, I'd read through it, copy and print the portion that applies to you and bring it with you when you purchase.

On the other hand you could answer a classified ad in your local newspaper, and see how it works out.

In red above. How was that working out for ya'?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

According to the link:

In red above. How was that working out for ya'?

[?][?][?]

I suppose I could thank you and your NRA buddies for their work in helping to take it away, Mr. Fox, but that would sidetrack this thread.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele