In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My campus Gun Arrest

JeffHillJeffHill Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hi Everyone,
My name is Jeff Hill and I am new on this forum. I was recently arrested on the Mississippi State University campus. I was a junior in the Meteorology department and had been staying in the dorms. I received a letter saying that they were moving me out of the dormitories because of too many incoming freshmen filling up the rooms. The housing department told me " We have some nice apartments located just off-campus". So when I moved in, and with Deer season coming, I brought the old bolt action and threw it in the closet. It was unloaded. Three weeks later I stepped out of the shower to a livingroom full of campus security officers. I was arrested. Charged on felony weapon possession. Thrown out of school for a year. The most horrible thing was that the director of student conduct yelled at me and said that I was in possession of a professional sniper's rifle as I was being thrown out.
At my first court appearance, I was afraid of being charged as an "Attempted Sniper" but thankfully, I was not. I went on the radio show
"GUN TALK with TOM GRESHUM" and shared my story. Between that and people around my hometown the response has been amazing and bizzarre. I was wondering if anyone out there has any stories similar to mine.
My story is also running in "GUN WORLD" magazine in March and I'm trying to get onto "COAST TO COAST WITH GEORGE NOORY" and "ALEX JONES"
Thanks everybody,
Jeff Hill[:0][:0]

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Jeff.

Mississippi Law states that it is a felony to possess a firearm on 'Educational Property'. In your first paragraph you state that you were arrested, charged on felon weapon possession and suspended for a year. You then state that you were afraid of being charged as an 'Attempted Sniper' at your first court appearance, but were not.

As an aside, I would have to think your lawyer told you exactly what you were being charged with, and that 'Attempted Sniper' was not on the list. The comment, though it adds a bit of color to the story, is obviously a bit of a stretch.

A few questions.

1. Were you actually charged by the court with Felony Weapon Possession?

2. If so, are you scheduled for trial, did you plead to a non-felony, or have you already been to trial?

3. If tried, what was the result?

4. How could being yelled at by a bureaucratic place-holder be the 'Most horrible thing' when you were arrested, accused of a felony, and suspended from school?

OK, #4 is rhetorical. No 20 or 21 year old male would consider for a moment a scolding to be the most horrible thing. It is another colorful statement that forces one to question the interjection of superfluous drama into a situation that truly stands on its own.

Color me skeptical, Jeff. Sorry.

If you are serious about correcting a wrong, and are not just looking for publicity, I would recommend contacting the 2nd Amendment Foundation for legal help and/or guidance. The SAP has taken on many legitimate gun rights cases over the past few years, and may be able to help. They may advise you to skip 'Coast to Coast with George Noory' or the whole Alex Jones thing, but then again, they are a serious organization.

www.saf.org
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:If you are serious about correcting a wrong, and are not just looking for publicity, I would recommend contacting the 2nd Amendment Foundation for legal help and/or guidance. The SAP has taken on many legitimate gun rights cases over the past few years, and may be able to help. They may advise you to skip 'Coast to Coast with George Noory' or the whole Alex Jones thing, but then again, they are a serious organization.

Sound advice, Don.

Jeff, if I were in your position and have not gone to trial yet, I would be very careful making any public statements without approval of your attorney. Being convicted of a felony is a life altering event if you are serious about your right to possess firearms. Your statements can and will be turned against you by prosecutors(particularly those who do not support your RKBA). You might be surprised to learn what a villian you are in the eyes of the state and prosecution. Stay away from people/groups like George Noory and Alex Jones(BTW I think both are entertaining in small doses) until after your situation has been settled.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are a member of the NRA contact the law dept and see if they can support you...

www.nra.com
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huh...ain't been back since..who knew?? Don knew...
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)]
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    buck100buck100 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is "off campus" still educational property, if not how can you be charged with a felony?