In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SW multiple sales

gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
Sen. Webb's response:

Thank you for contacting my office regarding a proposal by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to require border-area firearm dealers to report multiple rifle sales.

As you may know, on December 17, 2010, the ATF published a Federal Register notice which following a period of public comment could require that gun dealers in California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas report multiple purchases of rifles. Accordingly, retailers would be obligated to report the sale of two or more rifles to the same customer within a five-day period. If enacted, this emergency authority would expire after a period of 180 days. I am very concerned with the procedure that was utilized in attempting to enact this emergency rule.

According to the ATF, this authority is intended to combat the transport and sale of firearms to Mexican drug cartels. I understand your specific concerns with this regulation, and the need to extend the time for public comment. As a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment, I am always vigilant about potential infringements on the right to bear arms. I have serious reservations about the procedure used in an attempt to enact this emergency order. Actions that have such potential should be reviewed by Congress prior to enactment. Please be assured that my staff and I will continue to closely monitor and review all ATF directives such as this, to ensure the protection of our Second Amendment rights.
It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books