In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun show Question?

spdmrchtspdmrcht Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I went to my local gun show for the first time in a long time and
I saw a bunch of sellers were selling AR 15 type parts, kind of kit
guns so to speak. They had everything you could think of. I ask the
dealer what it was all about, In my State they are band. He told me
they were a Key gun that had to have a special key to remove the
magazine. Whats with this, I've never heard of this before, or even
read anything about them. And I've had a ccw for 40 yrs.

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good sale pitch
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I don't understand is how They can sell Switch Blade Knives at Our Gun Shows when They are totally illegal in My State.
    I have picked Them up and played with Them and They are actual Switch Blades.
  • Options
    fyrfinderfyrfinder Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by e3mrk
    What I don't understand is how They can sell Switch Blade Knives at Our Gun Shows when They are totally illegal in My State.
    I have picked Them up and played with Them and They are actual Switch Blades.

I think that they are allowed in Arizona ...... noticed several at the gun show here yesterday. Probably only allowed to have ten or less in a box though to keep it within some obsure federal hi-cap switch blade law. [8D]
  • Options
    fyrfinderfyrfinder Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a gun show question ......

How does this "loophole" work that a person can have thirty or forty hand guns, obviously new, and a sign that says "private dealer" ... and not be required to have a FFL?

[}:)]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fyrfinder
    I have a gun show question ......

How does this "loophole" work that a person can have thirty or forty hand guns, obviously new, and a sign that says "private dealer" ... and not be required to have a FFL?

[}:)]

I don't know.

He probably bought them on a whim and then his wife told him to get rid of them.

Why would anyone care?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    I don't know.

He probably bought them on a whim and then his wife told him to get rid of them.

Why would anyone care?

In red above
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    +1 i don't care
  • Options
    swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    In the news a while ago i saw a story about AR-15's being required to have that key so they could not be reloaded quickly or with one hand. i guess the idea is in the event that some psycho goes on a shooting spree but doesn't want to violate the law (except for, you know, murder) he wouldn't be able to reload easily.

wish i could provide more details as to where and when, but it was at least two or three years ago, long before i got into shooting.
  • Options
    spdmrchtspdmrcht Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats what the dealer told me, I didn't ask if it would take
    one of the 75 round mags, but I would guess it would, and this
    gun show was selling switch blades also. In Ca.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    If it was California, he was referring to a "bullet button". California law defines a detachable magazine as being able to be removed without the use of a tool. Installation of a bullet button in place of the normal magazine release requires the use of a tool such as a bullet tip, to remove the magazine. This converts the magazine into a fixed, or nondetachable, magazine under California law. That's how Californians can have ARs as long as they are not specifically listed in the "Assault Weapons" section of the California Code of Regulations.

There is a little more to it that that but it covers the basic premise.