In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gewehr88Gewehr88 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you asked why you were denied?

I have carried for decades, even when in Chicago (south side) during the mid 1970's to early 1980's I carried, I never had a permit and will never get one. I will not beg for permission to exercise a God given right..

The big THING is to never EVER make it obvious. There are ways to accomplish this with out undue effort.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Getting a permit in NY State is difficult if not impossible. It is not a "shall issue" state and each county judge decides who gets a permit and who doesn't. "Personal protection" is NOT an acceptable reason for many judges. If he or she decides you don't need a handgun, you don't get a permit.

Some people "judge shop" for a county that is more likely to grant a permit but that rarely works due to proof of residence, personal visits by Sheriff's deputies, etc. Additionally, some judges will grant a restricted permit for "At home" or "Target & Hunting" only. I've had my full-carry, unrestricted NY permit for over 30 years but I know I would probably never get one again if I had to start over. However, if you get caught carrying without an unrestricted permit, it's a mandatory 3 year prison sentence so I strongly recommend against it.

NY State sucks when it comes to firearms rights. They also do not recognize any other state permits. [:(!]
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Gewehr88
    I agree with you Spider in that it is very difficult to get a CCW in NY period, actually more like impossible judging by all accounts and you are probably right that if you tried now that it might get denied. The only individuals that seem to get anything are celebrities, politicians and other crooked rich snobs and they also never seem to serve time for their crimes either.
    Apparently the only thing that is important in this country are celebrities, politicians and other crooked rich snobs, american idol, queers, abortion rights advocates and the westboro baptist cult, but go figure as one would think that the Constitution would take presidence here over everything including all of that nonsense, but no dice.
    I know that I am taking a chance and a risk however we all actually perhaps unrealizingly do everyday just being at home, traveling down the street, shopping at the store, going to school or work etc and I am not about to be a statistic just because some liberal idiot says so.
    I believe that it is worth the risk and dying for if necessary for what I believe in and am with bpost on this, sorry DevilDog, in that quote- "I will not beg for permission to exercise a God given right.."

I support your beliefs and applaud your convictions. Unfortunately, those defenses have been tried in court and won't hold up. [:(]

New York isn't very forgiving when it comes to handguns, regardless of wealth or fame. Just ask Plaxico Burress.

I wish you well.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your struggles...

Its the same deal in New Jersey. Its a shame in both cases NY and NJ need law abiding citizens with the right to carry. To protect citizens from all the crime in those two states.

The thin blue line of the law is indeed thin. Without right to keep and bear NY and NJ have broken the Bill of Rights. People need the right to protect themselves from thugs.
  • Options
    frank252gunsfrank252guns Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are retired from law enforcement you can carry in all states with a HR218 permit. Congress passed a law that retired law enforcement people can carry in any state provided you are in good standing with your department and qualify the same way your departments requires. One of the very few right things they did.
  • Options
    frank252gunsfrank252guns Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'am not telling you to break any laws but an old friend who put many years on the N.Y.P.D. told me if you carry without a permit and have to defend your life or another life, there isn't a jury in N.Y. that would convict you, and if they did, whats the worst thing that can happen to you? Arrest, time in jail? You would still be alive or the family member you saved would still be alive. Better an alive law breaker than a dead citizen who obeyed the a un-constitutional law to carry to protect your life.