In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Picking up from FFL

swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
I'm currently stationed overseas, I'm wondering if there's a federal law that would prevent me from purchasing a rifle or shotgun and having it sent to an FFL in my hometown in TX and having my father or sister pick it up. We can all legally purchase rifles/shotguns, although I'm a bit young to buy a handgun. Would I be breaking "straw purchase" laws by having a family member pick up a gun for me, even though we can all legally own firearms?

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    If it goes as you stated, "having a family member pick up a gun for me", it looks like a straw purchase. On filling out the 4473, they will have to answer a question, yes or no, if they are the actual purchaser. A family member may purchase a firearm and give it as a gift , however.
  • Options
    swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    okay, thank you.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could possibly have the FFL hold the gun until you get back.
  • Options
    jrmarketjrmarket Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Slumlord said, you can have the dealer hold it for you even for a long period of time. I currently have about 10 guns on "storage" for a customer that lives in Japan. He is going to return someday and he buys guns and has them shipped here. I charge $10 per year per gun to store them for him + the initial transfer fee.