In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NRA Sues Obama Administration

2»

Comments

• Options
    J 1357J 1357 Member Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the 2nd give me the right to own:
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A slef propelled howitzer.
    A battleship.
    A Cobra gunship.
    You people talk so loose.
    Military weapons like those of today weren't eevn a dream, when the founding fathers wrote the bill of rights.
    Tell me what the difference between an ak47 and a rpg are?
    Both are designed to kill in a combat situation. Military weapons have no place in a civilized society. Based upon your reasoning, I should be able to go out and purchase a fully operational rpg, without any background check.
    You people talk so loose!
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by J 1357
    Military weapons have no place in a civilized society.

Military weapons have had a place in civilized society ever since there has been a "civilized society"

The birthplace of Democracy, ancient Greece, is also the birthplace of the citizen-soldier.

Military weapons, in the hands of local militias, are the spark that ignited the American revolution.......but you already knew that. You just found it much easier to babble about Cobra gunships and Battleships than to focus on the actual debate.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Both are designed to kill in a combat situation.

All rifles were designed originally to kill in a combat situation. What's your point?
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've stated before and I'll state it again, assualt weapons have no legitimate place in a society governed by the rule of law.

Sure they do.

Those weapons, in the hands of free citizens, preserve the rule of law by which society is governed.

Quite frankly, I believe folks who refuse to accept the Constitution as it is written have no legitimate place referring to themselves as citizens, as citizenship encompasses more than geographic origin.

This is the first post of yours that I have read.

Other than posting on here, do you have any hobbies; say, flailing on a hornet's nest with a stick?
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are designed to kill in a combat situation. Military weapons have no place in a civilized society.

ALL weapons are designed to inflict injury or kill...

That is why they are referred to as weapons.
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A battleship.
    A Cobra gunship.
    Military weapons like those of today weren't eevn a dream, when the founding fathers wrote the bill of rights.
    Both are designed to kill in a combat situation. Military weapons have no place in a civilized society. Based upon your reasoning, I should be able to go out and purchase a fully operational rpg, without any background check.

I could shoot you from much farther away with one of my hunting rifles, it would make a bigger hole and you'd be just as dead as if I'd shot you from 25 yards with my AR. Your argument is senseless.

A battleship!!? What will we do if the gangbangers get their hands on a battleship!!? That would be most dire!

Where the hell do you people come from?
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    I've stated before and I'll state it again, assualt weapons have no legitimate place in a society governed by the rule of law.

that sure sounds like commie talk to me, the F'ing NRA helped ban them, did you know the Constitution is to regulate the government ? and the second amendment is for the protection of all the first ten amdts. plus the Constitution. do you know what the Declaration of Independence says about a tyrannical govmt. ?

tell me every thing you know about Neal Knox..., OK ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, assualt weapons do nothing but wreak havoc in society.
    I have a right to express that opinion, back it up thru community organizing and investing my time and money to promote or deny such weapons. I have a right to vote for those that aspire to my opinions and to vote against those who don't.
    In the end, after exercising my rights, the majority will decide and thats the way this country works.
    I can live with that.

in other words you are a liberal, correct ??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mr.Fox, you certainly sound silly when you want to exempt the Negotiable Rights Association prior to 1977ad ? but if you insist, tell me who helped put the ban on M-16 rifles and similar weapons quote: Since the Firearms Owners' Protection Act of May 19, 1986, ownership of newly manufactured machine guns has been prohibited to civilians. Machine guns which were manufactured prior to the Act's passage are regulated under the National Firearms Act, but those manufactured after the ban cannot ordinarily be sold to or owned by civilians.

got a reply to the above quote ?
  • Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun control is simply "CONTROL", nothing more. Why is this so hard to understand by so many? Old NRA... New NRA....pre 1977....post 1977, sounds much like republican....democrat....liberal....conservative....left.....right....etc, etc, etc. It's all the same, maybe a slightly different package but beyond that...nothing but the same ol' predictable crap.

The problem is this incident happened last December and what has happened since then? Issa had his hearings that basically went no where, the typical brainless slugs showed up to either defend what they did or deny they knew anything, repeated document requests were either ignored or if provided were heavily redacted or were basically blank pieces of paper. Was anyone held in contempt, indicted or charged for obstruction, hell no one was even fired. It comes off as a typical DC dog and pony show for public consumption. Has anybody heard anything substancial since? I haven't.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You do realize that the gun that became the M-16 was originally developed as a sporting arm? In your view does that then exclude the M-16 and its' descendents as 'assault rifles'. You should do some research and find out haw many crimes are committed by 'assault rifles'. Percentage wise, dang few. Those are the very firearms that will maintain a 'society governed by the rule of law'.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Watch out it is an NRA zombie from the late 70's
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A battleship.
    Cobra gunship.

How do you sleep at night?

Did you remember to take your medication?
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As an individual, you can go out and a lawyer and sue the government over your rights.
    I haven't heard of one poster suing.
    As a group, the oathkeepers can hire a lawyer and sue.
    Haven't heard of a lawsuit by the oathkeepers.

The NRA is suing, J&G sales is suing, has anyone here but myself contributed financially to the suit?
    Anyone here written a letter of support to these people?
    Taking this one step further, every criminal that commits an act against society,with a gun, is more dangerous, in promoting your loss of gun rights, than the atf.
    What are you doing to help stop gun cimes in this country? Have you ever turned in a drug dealer? Do you ever go to your local PD and have a sit down with them? Discuss local crime and what you can do to help fight it.
    Nobody see,s to care about crime till it affects them personally. Well, I'm here to tell you, even small crimes, will eventually affect your gun rights.
    This isn't about ignorance, its about apathy!

Well stated,I give financial aid when I see true progress. The NRA is not my first choice but I also will support a good cause by them as long as it is not a back room deal. My main support go to SAF and GOA, two that do not compromise.JMO.

My self and others in our group recently took a citizens police academy course and we help when called upon by the local police.

Every one should start a group locally and ask their police to do the same.JMO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A battleship.
    Cobra gunship.

Your right and wrong, The 2nd Amendment states "keep and bear"

Common sense tell us that keep and bear was never meant to be a cannon then or and RPG now.

The carried weapon of 1776 would translate into an ak47 or similar weapon such as an M-16 today.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sovereignman
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A battleship.
    Cobra gunship.

Common sense tell us that keep and bear was never meant to be a cannon then or and RPG now.

The carried weapon of 1776 would translate into an ak47 or similar weapon such as an M-16 today.

Damn, Sovereignman, good one for you. When people come back with little more than insults, it means they have got nothing else left.

But here is some good and sincere advice. Don't waste your time arguing with the extremist on GB.com. They are blind to anything except for "their way or no way." Save you efforts for something more productive. You might have noticed I quit arguing with them. It's just like arguing with my dog. A waste of time.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:But here is some good and sincere advice. Don't waste your time arguing with the extremist constitutionalists on GB.com. They hold allegiance are blind to the Constitution and the text of Amendment II anything except for "their way or no way." Save you efforts for something more productive like posting on an anti-gun forum or a collectivist forum. You might have noticed I quit arguing with them because it is impossible to defend the indefensible and I have found scant support for my rationalizations and justifications for government infringement of the RKBA, particularly when taken in light of "the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed". It's just like arguing with my dog a man with principles. A waste of time because one cannot defend the indefensible and anybody with any understanding of the Constitution and?or any who hold allegiance to it, well, they don't take me seriously and it makes me angry.
  • Options
    buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A battleship.
    Cobra gunship.

Damn, Sovereignman, good one for you. When people come back with little more than insults, it means they have got nothing else left.

But here is some good and sincere advice. Don't waste your time arguing with the extremist on GB.com. They are blind to anything except for "their way or no way." Save you efforts for something more productive. You might have noticed I quit arguing with them. It's just like arguing with my dog. A waste of time.

Obviously your dog understands the RKBA better than you. Sounds like a constitutionally principled beast, get him a screen name and leave the computer on for him.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:It's just like arguing with my dog. A waste of time. quote:Obviously your dog understands the RKBA better than you. Sounds like a constitutionally principled beast, get him a screen name and leave the computer on for him.[:D][:D][:D]Classic...and spot on.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A battleship.
    Cobra gunship.

Damn, Sovereignman, good one for you. When people come back with little more than insults, it means they have got nothing else left all else has failed.

But here is some good and sincere advice. Don't waste your time arguing with extremist constitutionalists on GB.com. They are blind to anything except for "their way or no way." the constitution as written. Save you efforts for something more productive other than me. You might have noticed I quit arguing with them. It's just like arguing with my dog. Believe me I've done it. A waste of time.

Fixed it for ya. No need to thank me. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A battleship.
    Cobra gunship.

Damn, Sovereignman, good one for you. When people come back with little more than insults, it means they have got nothing else left all else has failed.

But here is some good and sincere advice. Don't waste your time arguing with extremist constitutionalists on GB.com. They are blind to anything except for "their way or no way." the constitution as written. Save you efforts for something more productive other than me. You might have noticed I quit arguing with them. It's just like arguing with my dog. Believe me I've done it. A waste of time.

That "fixed it for ya" has become juvenile. Fits ya'. Don't you at least admire my self control about me ignoring posts by lt496? Pay attention and you will see that, by contrast, he is compelled to read and respond to every post I post. At least here.

OBTW, I have been noticing that often when lt496 posts a snarky message, you jump in after him and post you own. Such linked behavior reminds me of a pimple on someones *. Wherever that * is, there is that pimple.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wifetrained
    Gun control is simply "CONTROL", nothing more. Why is this so hard to understand by so many? Old NRA... New NRA....pre 1977....post 1977, sounds much like republican....democrat....liberal....conservative....left.....right....etc, etc, etc. It's all the same, maybe a slightly different package but beyond that...nothing but the same ol' predictable crap.

The problem is this incident happened last December and what has happened since then? Issa had his hearings that basically went no where, the typical brainless slugs showed up to either defend what they did or deny they knew anything, repeated document requests were either ignored or if provided were heavily redacted or were basically blank pieces of paper. Was anyone held in contempt, indicted or charged for obstruction, hell no one was even fired. It comes off as a typical DC dog and pony show for public consumption. Has anybody heard anything substancial since? I haven't.
    A big thumbs up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHkaRU9EoVM&feature=related
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A battleship.
    Cobra gunship.

That "fixed it for ya" has become juvenile. Fits ya'. Don't you at least admire my self control about me ignoring posts by lt496? Pay attention and you will see that, by contrast, he is compelled to read and respond to every post I post. At least here.

OBTW, I have been noticing that often when lt496 posts a snarky message, you jump in after him and post you own. Such linked behavior reminds me of a pimple on someones *. Wherever that * is, there is that pimple.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    A abrahams battle tank.
    An rpg.
    A stinger missle.
    A battleship.
    Cobra gunship.

Yeah, but pickenup, you've gotta admit the above in red is funny.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Define assault weapons for me I am relatively new to the forums. Did the militia in 1776 have assault weapons? You seem to be hung up on semantics.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Define assault weapons for me I am relatively new to the forums. Did the militia in 1776 have assault weapons? You seem to be hung up on semantics.

It's been nothing but semantics.
  • Options
    edited November -1

The anti-gun crowd has clearly defined "assault weapons" as semi-automatic firearms that look "scary." Even if a gun owner was willing to let "assault weapons" be outlawed, next the anti-gun crowd would name a new class of common firearms as "assault weapons" or "sniper weapons" or "cop killer weapons" or "long range weapons" and lobby to get those firearms banned. Pretty soon we gun people would be left with nothing but single shot firearms and then the anti-gun crowd would give them some evil sounding label because they "kill people."

In short, I doubt any innocent victim cares if he was killed by a semi-automatic firearm, a bolt action, a pump, a single shot, a single action revolver, or a double action revolver. The innocent victim is still dead. In addition, once you start letting the anti-gun crowd stick scary labels on particular guns to justify banning them, as I mentioned above, pretty soon the anti-gun crowd gets to preaching that all guns are "scary" and therefore it is reasonable to ban them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    quote:Originally posted by fshfndr
    May I ask what all you nay sayers do for us beside just post here[?]
    Sure...

We are providing a necessary service, since there are many who are completely unaware of factual NRA actions that are directly in support of gun-control.

Many people have never even thought such a thing and rather, simply rely on the name 'NRA' to satisfy themselves that whatever the action they take, it must be in support of the Constitution.

In addition, there are many others who have never had the issues surrounding various commonly accepted forms of anti-constitutional actions, such as gun-control, framed in light of Amendment II's text, the founding principles of this Republic and the principles of individual liberty.

Posing what is commonly accepted, against the yardstick of these things, can be very illustrative for some people.

As for what some 'do for us', well, that depends on who 'us' is.

If you are of the NRA bent, then I do nothing but point out the hypocrisy, deceit, lies, and erosive effect that your beliefs have on our liberty and on the fabric of the Republic and that likely pisses you off.

If, by 'us', you mean only the readers of such threads, then I have said what it is that we do in an above paragraph.

If by 'us', you refer to constitutionalists, liberty-advocates and Amendment II supporters, then we are openly and unwaveringly showing that there are some who are not weasels and some who believe in the Constitution as it is written and some who will not allow obfuscation on such fundamental issues to go unchallenged.

Anything else?

So basically you all are like ivory tower college professors, preaching your own thoughts to the public who has to live in the real world, all the while you are safe and sound in your ivory tower.

IOW, you have no skin in the game and all you do is blow hot air on the subject.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    Mr.Fox, you certainly sound silly when you want to exempt the Negotiable Rights Association prior to 1977ad ? but if you insist, tell me who helped put the ban on M-16 rifles and similar weapons quote: Since the Firearms Owners' Protection Act of May 19, 1986, ownership of newly manufactured machine guns has been prohibited to civilians. Machine guns which were manufactured prior to the Act's passage are regulated under the National Firearms Act, but those manufactured after the ban cannot ordinarily be sold to or owned by civilians.

got a reply to the above quote ?

How about you show me where the NRA did it and maybe I will shut up.

Here is one example of how compromise and realizing you can't always get what you want is the only alternative. In 1993 The government, at the urging of Handgun control Inc. wanted to ban the so called "assault weapons." Gun banner Bill Clinton control the white house. His democrats controlled the house and senate. Is it impossible for you to not see that the AWB was unstoppable? Just Obama care was unstoppable?

So, as a last resort and with no other choice the NRA and the pro-gun side negoiatied a 10 year sunset clause into the AWB. Surely you don't think the anti-gun crowd was happy to introduce ANY such weakness into their bill? But they did because they could not be totally positive the bill would pass without the 10 year sunset clause.

After 10 years, the structure of government had changed and the anti-gun crowd could not get the AWB extended or reinstated. That 10 year sunset ban is the ONLY reason we don't still have the AWB. And it happened because of a "compromise."

Now, would you like to rewind the tape of history, remove that compromise of the 10 year sunset clause, and then you, me and every other gun owner would still be burdened with that stupid, worthless AWB?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    USN_Airdale

You could prove to fox that the NRA SUPPORTED the 1934 machine gun laws by showing him that IN THEIR VERY OWN PUBLICATION
    (AMERICAN RIFLEMAN MAGAZINE, MARCH 1968 EDITION page 22)
    they were PROUD of the following......
    quote:The NRA supported The National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns.

You could show him the transcript, where the NRA-ILA executive director stated the facts.
    In an interview by Glen Beck, between Chris Cox (NRA-ILA executive director) and Paul Helmke (Brady bunch)
    quote:HELMKE: That`s an interesting issue because there was a machine gun in effect ban that was passed by the federal government in 1934. What`s the NRA`s impression of that?

BECK: Chris, are you for fully automatic machine guns?

COX: We`ve never advocated fully automatic machine guns and Paul knows it.

You could even prove to him that the NRA SUPPORTED the 1986 bill that made civilian ownership of newly manufactured machine guns illegal.

But none of that would matter. You see, this has all been shown to him before. He ignores that facts, and dodges the issues as he did here. You can see, he even leaves a way to weasel out of a promise.
    "MAYBE" he says.......maybe???.......

• Options
    edited November -1
    If one is willing to compromise on something now then they are willing to compromise on anything later. My view is this, gun rights and gun control are two seperate issues and the latter abrogates the former.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    USN_Airdale

You could prove to fox that the NRA SUPPORTED the 1934 machine gun laws by showing him that IN THEIR VERY OWN PUBLICATION
    (AMERICAN RIFLEMAN MAGAZINE, MARCH 1968 EDITION page 22)
    they were PROUD of the following......
    quote:The NRA supported The National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns.

You could show him the transcript, where the NRA-ILA executive director stated the facts.
    In an interview by Glen Beck, between Chris Cox (NRA-ILA executive director) and Paul Helmke (Brady bunch)
    quote:HELMKE: That`s an interesting issue because there was a machine gun in effect ban that was passed by the federal government in 1934. What`s the NRA`s impression of that?

BECK: Chris, are you for fully automatic machine guns?

COX: We`ve never advocated fully automatic machine guns and Paul knows it.

You could even prove to him that the NRA SUPPORTED the 1986 bill that made civilian ownership of newly manufactured machine guns illegal.

But none of that would matter. You see, this has all been shown to him before. He ignores that facts, and dodges the issues as he did here. You can see, he even leaves a way to weasel out of a promise.
    "MAYBE" he says.......maybe???.......

So I finally got you to crawl out from under your rock. As I have said, the NRA until about 1977 did not take the 2A serious enough for me. Since then they have done pretty well. As least when compared to their competition of which there are none that is large and effective.

The NRA sure as hell does a lot more for gun rights than any of the derelicts around here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wifetrained
    If one is willing to compromise on something now then they are willing to compromise on anything later. My view is this, gun rights and gun control are two seperate issues and the latter abrogates the former.

Your comment only makes since if either there had never, ever been any gun control in America (whitch there has BTW) or somehow we gun owners were going to get rid of all gun control. In other words, you comments only make sense if two different worlds ever did or ever will exist.

They didn't or won't, so your comment tries to look like it says something but it actually says nothing. Oh, well. I tried and once again I give up in this case.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    Since I have as of yet to see a weapon make an assault, methinks you're chasing windmills. But carry on there soldier of the enemy of my country!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain