In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

One Gun Law That Needs Changed

sohigh1sohigh1 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
From what I understand, I can purchase a long gun in another state, but I cannot purchase a handgun in any state but the one I live in.

This makes no sense. None. Why does it matter? Why hasn't this been changed?

To be honest, Indiana does not have the worlds greatest gun stores. Most generally, the prices here in Indiana for handguns are a lot higher than what I see advertised in other states.

There is one gun I would like to purchase right now, and if I could buy it in Ohio, I could get it for $80 less than what I can find it for here in Indiana. Exact same gun.

So, why is there a prohibition in place that prohibits me from driving into Ohio and buying the gun at a better price?

Comments

• Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy it in Ohio, but it has to be shipped to a FFL in your state to complete the transfer. Just the same as buying a pistola off the auctions on GB.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    You can buy it in Ohio, but it has to be shipped to a FFL in your state to complete the transfer. Just the same as buying a pistola off the auctions on GB.

I was aware of that. But, my point still stands. I can walk into a store in Ohio, pay for and walk out with a long gun. Why not a handgun?
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sohigh1

I was aware of that. But, my point still stands. I can walk into a store in Ohio, pay for and walk out with a long gun. Why not a handgun?

You'll have to take that up with your government masters that can't seem to understand the second amendment correctly.[:)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

It is a Federal Law based upon the feelings of do-gooders. It is especially punishing to those that live close to a good gun store in another state yet can't buy a handgun there unless they are willing to absorb the added cost of shipping and transfer fees. Selective punishment for the few based upon where you live.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

It is a Federal Law based upon the feelings of do-gooders. It is especially punishing to those that live close to a good gun store in another state yet can't buy a handgun there unless they are willing to absorb the added cost of shipping and transfer fees. Selective punishment for the few based upon where you live.

Exactly. You said it so much better than I did!
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why hasn't this been changed?
    I think it's in the works to be changed...
    HR 58, if I am reading it correctly, addresses this.
    http://gunowners.org/112bills.htm
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask your DEMOCRAP friends why??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badchris
    Why hasn't this been changed?
    I think it's in the works to be changed...
    HR 58, if I am reading it correctly, addresses this.
    http://gunowners.org/112bills.htm

Appears to have stalled in committee: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d112:HR00058:@@@X
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter

I would if I had any!! [:D]
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    It may have made sence, (in a twisted liberal way) back before we were forced to submit to NICS check to buy a gun, but nowdays where we have to submit to a check everytime we purchase something from an FFL it really makes no difference.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Would it have really been cheaper? How much would the gasoline to drive to Ohio and back have cost?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Would it have really been cheaper? How much would the gasoline to drive to Ohio and back have cost?

Gas would not figure in, as it would have been only 10 miles out of my way when going to visit my in law's. We would be going that direction for other reasons.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    One?

All gun laws need to be repealed. If someone commits a 'bad-act', whether with a gun or not, that specific and individual bad-act must be punished.

There is no constitutional-authority for gun laws anywhere and additionally, such laws make no sense from the perspective of liberty and government instituted to secure it.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    From what I understand, I can purchase a long gun in another state, but I cannot purchase a handgun in any state but the one I live in.

This makes no sense. None. Why does it matter? Why hasn't this been changed?

To be honest, Indiana does not have the worlds greatest gun stores. Most generally, the prices here in Indiana for handguns are a lot higher than what I see advertised in other states.

There is one gun I would like to purchase right now, and if I could buy it in Ohio, I could get it for $80 less than what I can find it for here in Indiana. Exact same gun.

So, why is there a prohibition in place that prohibits me from driving into Ohio and buying the gun at a better price?
    This is just one of thousands which are completely unconstitutional.[:(!]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    One?

All gun laws need to be repealed. If someone commits a 'bad-act', whether with a gun or not, that specific and individual bad-act must be punished.

There is no constitutional-authority for gun laws anywhere and additionally, such laws make no sense from the perspective of liberty and government instituted to secure it.

thank you L-TEE for pointing out what should be obvious to ALL gunowners.
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter

Yep, it was so different when we had a republican president and congress.