In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Concealed Weapons Permit and Public Gatherings

dbtdbt Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Well... I moved my post from General Discusion to Gun Rights hoping to get some real opinions....maybe. Question: Does anyone think that the concealed weapons permit should include public gatherings if they check permits at the door? I think this would minimize casualties if something like the Holmes case happens again. Iv'e been a Gunbroker member for 9 years. I usualy don't post in the forum because members get so crazy with there answers. Please commit on the concealed permit issue only. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You pose an illogical question.

Carrying concealed and checking permits at the door is oxymoronic.

Is your proposition that anyone carrying must announce it to the proprietor and then have his permit checked?

He would then become target No. 1 for the person that is carrying and is planning to do harm, as typically he that is planning to do harm will not bother with the formality of having his permit checked.

Or, is it your proposition that every patron be stopped and asked for his or her carry permit?

Carrying concealed, with or without a permit, should include public gatherings. It is public gathering where a concealed firearm is most necessary. When lounging about the house, concealment is not usually a very high priority.

I have to assume I have totally missed the intent of the questions.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    dbtdbt Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You pose an illogical question.

Carrying concealed and checking permits at the door is oxymoronic.

Is your proposition that anyone carrying must announce it to the proprietor and then have his permit checked?

He would then become target No. 1 for the person that is carrying and is planning to do harm, as typically he that is planning to do harm will not bother with the formality of having his permit checked.

Or, is it your proposition that every patron be stopped and asked for his or her carry permit?

Carrying concealed, with or without a permit, should include public gatherings. It is public gathering where a concealed firearm is most necessary. When lounging about the house, concealment is not usually a very high priority.I have to assume I have totally missed the intent of the questions.
    Your right they most certainly would not be standing there asking people:"Do you have a gun? Do you have a permit?
    Most public gatherings, Concerts, Ballgames, 2-theaters in the area and even my church has a metal detector.
    I don't think any proprietor is going to stand there and ask every patron for their concealed weapons permit.
    He who is planning to do harm wont be coming through the front door if there's a metal detector or waving the Garrett stick.
    quote:Carrying concealed, with or without a permit, should include public gatherings. It is public gathering where a concealed firearm is most necessary.[/quote
    That was a good synopsis. Is it your proposition that everybody just needs to stay at home and lounge the house and you wont have to worry about it? I must have totaly missed the intent of that answer.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    I can't see any reason why I should need to check in with someone to tell them I am doing something that I prefer to keep concealed.

CC in public is critical for safety, IMO.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    I can't see any reason why I should need to check in with someone to tell them I am doing something that I prefer to keep concealed.
    CC in public is critical for safety, IMO.

Absolutely, as I myself CC all of the time and really would not like to OC other than when I have been required too and even then don't feel comfortable being that its like walking around with a sandwich board sign advertising or something(roll eyes).
    Sometimes when there have been places with metal detector wands that ask if your CC and to please open your coat or lift the bottom of your shirt and I would turn around and walk away refusing to comply as they are talking on their radios like you did something wrong(LOL) and I simply just wont attend with that bs.
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The whole idea of needing permission,(CCW), to exercise a constitutional right, to me, seems moronic. God given rights are just that. Permissions are from the government and can be revoked at any time.