In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

gun ownership

trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
I do believe we have the right and believe that it should not be infringed.
but even so, I know people personally that should not be allowed that right Imo.
Anyone besides me know someone like this and if so why not?

Comments

• trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    i would like to know if my husband has been convicted with a felony, is it illegal for me the wife to own a gun and keep it in the house? even if i lock it up.
    thanks

jeannia hastey
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    I know a guy, he's told me he wants a gun for protection. The man is hopeless mechanically and technologically. I am constantly amazed by the simple things he cannot do without breaking, messing up or generally failing in some way. I would be nervous around him and a sharp stick.

I told him to hire a bodyguard.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Who decides?

No me.
    My question is who knows someone like that : not about their freedom.
    Separate the two.
  • CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    I used to know a girl that 'didnt like guns.' Then they had a baby, and someone made her realize how vulnerable they were. They now have means of defending the home.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    People in prison/jail should not be allowed guns. If you are out you have ALL of your rights reinstated. Too dangerous to be trusted with a gun? Well then you're either in prison or dead. simple as that.
    edited November -1
    For released prisoners I do not like the idea of automatic restoration of full rights of citizenship. Punishment is one thing, that's payment for a wrong.

Proving you can again be trusted fully is quite different from completing a punishment. There should be a life long element of distrust for serious crimes.

There should be a defined process in every state on how an ex-convict may prove trustworthiness to be a full citizen again. I'd want a panel of judges at the top of that process, never just one person.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    People in prison/jail should not be allowed guns. If you are out you have ALL of your rights reinstated. Too dangerous to be trusted with a gun? Well then you're either in prison or dead. simple as that.

While I agree with you, I am not asking about felons or their restoration of rights.
    might be best to set some parameters.
    #1. Person with anger issues or mental issues.
    #2. Dumber than a sack of hammers.
    #3. Unsafe people (I. Think most of us know one of these) .
    And the list goes on.
    I am not talking constitutional issues : I am asking about competence.
  • JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter

While I agree with you, I am not asking about felons or their restoration of rights.
    might be best to set some parameters.
    #1. Person with anger issues or mental issues.
    #2. Dumber than a sack of hammers.
    #3. Unsafe people (I. Think most of us know one of these) .
    And the list goes on.
    I am not talking constitutional issues : I am asking about competence.

#2 will apply to half the population
    formerly known as warpig883
    edited November -1
    On anger or mental issues it should be a panel of doctors with a judge making the final call.

Cho, Loughner, Holmes, Lanza were all known to be people that scared others. Our systems to get these people evaluated, perhaps incarcerated into a mental facility are flat out busted.

Fix that system, fund that system and then things like these very rare and horrible events will be stopped before any shots are fired.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    On anger or mental issues it should be a panel of doctors with a judge making the final call.

Cho, Loughner, Holmes, Lanza were all known to be people that scared others. Our systems to get these people evaluated, perhaps incarcerated into a mental facility are flat out busted.

Fix that system, fund that system and then things like these very rare and horrible events will be stopped before any shots are fired.

With the wrong judge, anyone who has ever been overheard saying "I'll kill that S.O.B.!" in a moment of anger will lose.
  • fyrfinderfyrfinder Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a friend once, one of those people that you didn't need enemies when he was around you.

He wasn't accident prone ..... he was just plain gun stupid. I can't think of any other person I have known that has had as many "accidental" discharges as this one person.

We went out shooting in the desert once and he refused to eject his empty rounds when we were ready to come back to town. He counted six times that he fired his weapon, I was sure he only fired five. He would also fan his gun and then pick lead out of his wrist because the weapon had been abused so often.

We returned to my home and he put his gun down on the living room table and immediately his kids went to play with it. I convinced him to take the weapon outside and clean it .. and low & behold, there was a live cartridge inside.

He called me one evening to see if I would trade guns with him. He had just cleaned a nice S&W 38 and reloaded it, then as an after thought checked something on the hammer .. and accidentally discharged it. Said it was an unsafe firearm and wanted something with a heavier trigger pull.

I traded him a Ruger auto with the heaviest trigger pull of any firearm I have ever owned. He loaded it before he left the house. When he got home he wanted to check it out further, so just like he was taught in the Marine Corp, He was an MP by the way, he pulled the slide back to check the chamber, and then removed the magazine. Yeah, but the numbers that one.

So now he has an "unloaded" weapon that he has just checked, and he points it at his wife .... which for some reason she objected to. He said that it was unloaded, he had just checked it .. she was not very understanding. He looked for something that he could aim at and there was this silver platter on a shelf above her head. He took aim and discharged the weapon .. the platter fell and hit her on the head.

He traded that weapon for half of his month's rent because it was an unsafe firearm.

He always kept his hand gun loaded by his bedside .. and a bb gun in the same room that his kids were allowed free access to. One morning while he was still in bed he heard what he thought was the bb gun being cocked .. it was the handgun that he had on the night stand. The child discharged the gun across the bed that he and his wife were sleeping in. I never heard about what he did with that firearm, but I presume it was an unsafe one too.

He later became a city police officer .. for a short period of time and then moved to another city. His wife, who incidentally was the luckiest person that I knew of, later divorced him for reasons unknown and I lost track of him. I often wonder if he is still alive and if not, what the circumstances of his demise would have been.

Knowing this person as an MP and a peace officer, I have always cringed at the thought that he would be granted firearms privileges that I would have to learn and take training to achieve.

Can anyone top this guy for a candidate for being banned from owning a firearm?

[:0]
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I probably wouldn't sell a firearm to a quarter of the people I see on the street on any given day. I am sure many politicians feel the same way.

This is why our founders removed us from the decision making process.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    You're kidding right? What better way to be rid of stupid people than to arm them?[:D]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • fyrfinderfyrfinder Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    You're kidding right? What better way to be rid of stupid people than to arm them?[:D]

Only problem is the stupid people rarely point the weapon at themselves.

[:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    I probably wouldn't sell a firearm to a quarter of the people I see on the street on any given day. I am sure many politicians feel the same way.

This is why our founders removed us from the decision making process.

as it should be !