In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NYS Safe Act and the Sale of Ammunition

RPiratzkyRPiratzky Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
The recently passed NYS Safe Act as we know will have a major impact on dealing with a buyer from the state of New York. There is one piece of the legislation that has not received a lot of attention and that is the buying and selling of ammunition.

The NYS Police have been tasked with setting up a database for background checks that will include the sale of all ammunition. If you go into a location in New York and buy even a single box of .22 cartridges, you need to show your drivers license and before the sale can be completed the seller has to run a background check on you.

OK so what is the big deal? Well this also effects out of state sales. Over 99% of our business of N.O.S., obsolete and collectible ammunition is outside the state of New York. The person out of state who goes to buy from us would need to have a background check completed prior to the sale. Since you need to be standing in front of us when you present your drivers license for the background check that rules out that we can make a sale to you. The only other way to complete the sale would be for you to send a signed FFL to us and the ammunition would then be shipped to your local dealer. Now lets look at the math. You want to buy a $35 box of new old stock ammunition from us. Shipping charges would run about $10 to $18. You have an investment in the ammunition of roughly $45 to $53. Since you would have to get a signed copy of your local dealers license, unless you get the copy for free they will charge you $20 to $30 for a copy of the FFL. The $35 box of new old stock ammunition will now cost you $65 to $83. Do you think our customers are still going to buy from us. Since the major portion of our business is ammunition the state of New York has shut down internet sales and basically put us out of business. Looks like we are going to have to relocate our business outside the state of New York. By the way don't sell a box of ammunition to a New York state customer and ship to the customer. You just violated New York's laws also.

Comments

• Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep all true. My brother lives there but there is limited hope for some modification but for now you are screwed
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think internet ammo sales will be the next target. NYS has taken one route.
    But i see the easy route as age verification. As a seller how do you verify the buyers age?
    In Texas i must prove i am over 21 (actually 3X 21)for local retail sale. But when ordering over the internet the most recall is to check the box that i am over 21 and can legally but the ammo.