In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

La Pierre on Fox Sunday

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
La Pierre is a horrible spokesperson for gun rights. I have heard quite a few gun advocates on the press who can actually articulate pro gun positions, and the reasons why the gun control proposals are not only unconstitutional, but ineffective.
Everytime I hear LaPierre speak about universal background checks, I cant help but think that we SHOULD have universal background checks. I am opposed to universal background checks, but hearing LaPierre ramble on, I cant help think there should be a universal check. If Wayne is convincing me that we need universal background checks, you can just imagine what he is doing to those who are on the fence with the gun registration issue-and he is certainly not changing anyones mind who approve of universal background checks.
Wayne needs to stay home-he does more harm than good.

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wayne, like most folks, has trouble arguing a position in which he does not believe.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for setting me straight DOn. With this wave of gun control, I have been letting my emotions get the better of me; I forgot that LaPierre does not have a core.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Thanks for setting me straight DOn. With this wave of gun control, I have been letting my emotions get the better of me; I forgot that LaPierre does not have a core.
    Of course he has a core. At his core, he believes that common folk should not be armed.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo

I personally believe that LaPierre is conflicted.

A majority of his constituency believes in the acceptance of Universal Background Checks to pacify the left, and to ensure that their own firearms will not be targeted.

A growing number, however, are beginning to voice a more 'radical' viewpoint of objection, and he does not want to alienate them.

I truly believe that he would prefer the Universal Background Check system, as it empowers not only the larger number of dealers he represents, but also enshrines the legislated access approach that NRA has championed for decades.

The last thing he wants is to be in charge during a revolt as occurred during the 1960s(?).

The NRA's positioning of itself as the champion of the 2nd Amendment is a relatively new phenomenon, and one that is uncomfortable for so political an organization, though one that is bringing in quite a bit of money for them at present.

True 2nd Amendment advocacy, however, is today viewed as an unrealistic fringe position by most gun owners and most NRA members. Even if LaPierre actually embraced that position, he could not drag enough of his current membership with him, and much of his funding would dry up.

His job is not to worry about the 2nd Amendment, it is to do what is most economically rewarding for the National Rifle Association, and that, IMO, is what he thinks he is doing.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Asault Weapons ban will not pass. The large capacity magazine ban will pass but will have no real effect on gun owners or on mass murders. The universal background check will pass. We have had background checks on all new guns for many years and it has not had any real effect on gun owners. Setting up a universal background check without the back door registration is a hell of a lot better that one with back door registration. That is the smart compromise that we should all hope for. Just my opinion. The universal background check will also not have any effect on the mass murders. Let the rants begin. Anyone who thinks we will not end up with new laws out of this is living in a dream world.