In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Purposed New Gun Laws In Minnesota

bear1bear1 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
I have gone through the 2011 Gun Digest Book of Guns & Prices. And have discovered that in the first 100 pages of the 1200 page book, 435 firearms or the factory configuration of the firearm will be banned in the State of Minnesota. If the numbers were to remain consistent throughout that would mean that 5220 firearm models would be banned as assault weapons. Nearly all Semi Auto shotguns have a pistol grip stock. 99 out of 100 semi auto shotguns will be considered assault weapon if a standard pistol grip is included in the law as it is now written. Here are a few guns that will be considered Assault Weapons in Minnesota. All Benelli semi auto shotguns, all Beretta Semi auto shotguns, all Browning semi auto shotguns, all Remington semi auto shotguns, all Winchester semi auto shotguns.
The purposed law does not state what a pistol grip is so all shotguns that have a pistol grip and are semi autos will be assault weapons in Minnesota.
The purposed law reads that if you have a magazine that hold over 7 rounds you can keep the magazine if you alter the magazine so that it can one hold 7 rounds. In most cases this is not possible and 7 round magazines are not made for most of the pistols on the assault weapon list so the firearm will not function anymore.
What these purposed laws come down to is that in the future (August or September 1st of 2013) you will only be allowed one assault weapon and that assault weapon will need to be registered with the police or sheriff. If you have a semi auto 20 gauge shotgun for upland bird hunting and a semi auto 12 gauge for waterfowl along with a pistol that holds more than 7 rounds you will need to turn two of the firearms into the authorities and register the one you want to keep (as you are only allowed 1 in your life time). You will also need to let the authorities into your home when the authorities want to inspect your firearm storage. You must register the firearm every year and pay a fee for the privilege of keeping your firearm.
These purposed laws are not well thought out and the writers have a lack of firearm knowledge. How can someone purpose a law when they haven't the first clue what they're purposing?

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bear1
    How can someone purpose a law when they haven't the first clue what they're purposing?

Never followed politics before, eh?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 2010 Nancy Pelosi made this statement about the (then) proposed "Health Care" bill.....

quote:"But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    In 2010 Nancy Pelosi made this statement about the (then) proposed "Health Care" bill.....

quote:"But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it

pickenup,

SO true, SOOOOO true. Pass it and then we'll tell you how it works. Bull$#!^ No law should EVER get passed that way.

Bear1,

Not trying to sugarcoat it, but most of the 'pistol grip' stocks you are talking about are not included as true 'pistol grips'. What they are talking about, not that it is right, are the 'pistol grips' that extend down separate from the buttstock. All the hunting style pistol grips are exempt. If it's a 'tactical' style 'pistol grip' then it is not exempt.
  • Options
    bear1bear1 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand what a pistol grip is but I'm not sure the law makers do, here is the perposed law.
    16(4) semi-automatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:
    3.17(i) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
    3.18(ii) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
    3.19nontrigger hand;
    3.20(iii) a folding or telescoping stock;
    3.21(iv) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds; or
    3.22(v) an ability to accept a detachable magazine;
    3.23(5) shotgun with a revolving cylinder; or
    3.24(6) conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can
    3.25be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
    3.26The term does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable.
    3.27EFFECTIVE DATE.This section is effective September 1, 2013, and applies
    3.28to crimes committed on or after that date.
    Nowhere does it say except for sporting pistol grips.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bear1
    I understand what a pistol grip is but I'm not sure the law makers do, here is the perposed law.
    16(4) semi-automatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:
    3.17(i) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
    3.18(ii) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
    3.19nontrigger hand;
    3.20(iii) a folding or telescoping stock;
    3.21(iv) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds; or
    3.22(v) an ability to accept a detachable magazine;
    3.23(5) shotgun with a revolving cylinder; or
    3.24(6) conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can
    3.25be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
    3.26The term does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable.3
    3.27EFFECTIVE DATE.This section is effective September 1, 2013, and applies
    3.28to crimes committed on or after that date.
    Nowhere does it say except for sporting pistol grips.

I noticed they included all the "get arounds" from all the previous legislation intended to kill "more powerful and dangerous guns": i.e.

3.17 (i)Thumbhole... does nothing to enhance the danger of a weapon
    3.17 (ii) any protrusion to the stock.... that could boil back to target hand stops
    3.20 Telesoping stocks...because their killers....worst could happen is you get your mustache caught in one.[}:)][}:)] I can tell ya that's not a good feeling!![}:)][}:)][;)][:D]
    3.22 ability to accept a detachable magazine...you know that will get read by itself and banned. There go all of our .22's
    3.24/3.25 possesion of parts./guns/parts...as long as they can throw us in jail for it... The Constitution says' innocent until proven guilty. Not really true.
    3.27 ...September 1, 2013. The beginning of the next civil war?
  • Options
    torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    bear1 has a point here. If the manufacturer calls it a pistol grip, the politicians will more than likely to include that firearm on the banned list. They already call semi auto weapons assault weapons, when evryone who knows better, knows they aren't.
  • Options
    ClayhillClayhill Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised any state that would elect a lunatic like Al Franken still allows any guns at all. You Minnesota guys are in for a long fight.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well when you folks get on a jury for the fallout that we will see tell em your voting to acquit because someone re defined "Assault Weapons" and you just arn't gonna play that game.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Clayhill
    I'm surprised any state that would elect a lunatic like Al Franken still allows any guns at all. You Minnesota guys are in for a long fight.

You know what is weird about Al Franken? Other than some inane piece of legislation he got pushed through a couple years ago, you hardly hear a peep out of him.

It's one of two things: He's off doing coke with his ex SNL buddies. Or, he got into the Senate, actually has a conscience, and sees Washington is all about taking as much power as they possibly can. Thereby in essence blocking a flip-flop collaborator type like Coleman, who he defeated for the Senate seat.

Make no mistake about it though, he is very, very anti-gun.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    So last night I spent about 4 hours down at our state capital where they passed a bad gun bill out of comittee. That was no surprise as the gun grabbers had the majority in this comittee. The discussion was very good at the end right before the vote and the general feel seems to be that the "bad bill" is unlikely to get support outside of the comittee.

I spent some time engaging some people wearing black shirts which read " Minnesotans against being shot". You can guess where their sympathies lie. After talking to them politely and calmly and never insulting them both of them resorted to insults and threw up their hands and refused to discus any further.

One idea they have , just to show you how far off base these people are, is that somehow additional gun control in the form of registration will erradicate the suicides. For some reason they classify suicides as victims of gun violence.

One nice thing which happened at the capital last night was running into 8 or 9 people I knew from my community. It was nice to see us all show up in support of the 2A.

Here is a link to some of the people who are busy fighting the good fight here in MN.

http://www.mnccrn.org/news/
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a family friend who had given all his guns to his best friend to hold because he was having some problems. He went to his brother inlaws house. Brother in law had committed suicide about a year ago with a 12 guage shotgun. He had an antique car stored there. Closed the door and let the car run. Left several notes and young twin sons. They will find a way. Ban cars?? Ban garage doors??